firepixiestranger
30 posts

Posted:
I am looking into getting some fire poi, i know they sell them on home of poi but i stumbled across this set on ebay:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Professional-Fire-...1QQcmdZViewItem

are these any good? (Hope this link works, if not copy and paste it into your address bar)

Thanks for the help guys-always a pleasure to talk to you and also appreciate your advice!

biggrin

If at first you don't succeed.......get someone else to do it for you!

shimmy! x

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
no.

looks like it's held together with safety pins!

firepixiestranger
30 posts

Posted:
that is what i thought. they don't look very safe in the close up pictures

umm]

am surpised they have good feedback though?

shimmy! x

SniperBRONZE Member
663 posts

Posted:
i wouldn't be surprised. not all of that feedback will be from poi sales, lots of people leave feedback as soon as product arrives and still excited. even fewer even know how to 'follow up' on the feedback they leave if a problem shows up later.

simple solution, only buy fire toys from trusted shops or if you really want to make your own get someone who knows what they're doing to advise you on high quality (i.e. safe) parts

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
they dont? hmmm they look fine to me. Well if you do get them and you find there abit dodgey feeling you could just not light them up and practise spinning, apparently they say these are heavyer poi and take some getting used too, not that ide no ive never even been in the same room as some fire poi

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SniperBRONZE Member
663 posts

Posted:
check the close-ups on the head and handles. looks more like a wire clip than a quicklink. they might turn out ok but it's not something i'd risk.

firepixiestranger
30 posts

Posted:
i have to say i was a bit unsure!Thought the attachments between the heads and the handles looked a bit too flimsy to withstand any real pressure. definitely would rather get a reliable set than risk setting fire to someone when the head flies off!! wink

shimmy! x

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
hmm he does have a point come to think of it...about not risking it, buy from HoP...or else! lol

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

firepixiestranger
30 posts

Posted:
have been looking at the ones on HoP but dunno which set to buy.......any recommendations? this will be my very first fire set, have had a go one a friends before but dunno what set they were

shimmy! x

SniperBRONZE Member
663 posts

Posted:
looks like most people are going for these. cheap and cheery and safe and HoPpy and other assorted nice words

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I'd definately avoid the ebay ones and get the HoP ones. Those are the ones I would recomend to a first timer too.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Damn, them monkey fist ones sure look good...shame they're a tad bit too expensive for my liking. Just a passing question, not gonna go off topic for much longer, i promise!

I'm just wondering with moderate use, how often would the heads need replacing?

*back on topic* Yeah, the ebay ones look a bit unsafe. I wouldn't trust my normal poi if they had them clips, let alone fire...

It's better to burn out than to fade away

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Thats not off topic, its all fire poi related, ask away thelost_wan..I would think heads last a long time because there made out of kevlar

firepixiestranger
30 posts

Posted:
its ok i wondered that too! I will probably get the ones you recommended so thanks for all the help. Have to say I like the look of the monkey fist ones too!

shimmy! x

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
Those wire clip things I've encountered before - totally unreliable. Ask them if they'll sell you the poi minus the cost of 4 quicklinks to replace them wink Or just go for the HoP ones, the best poi I've ever used. Personally for a first set of fire poi I prefer tube wicks to monkeyfist, monkeys are just a bit heavier and faster which isn't always ideal for the beginner. However, you'll soon learn to play with what you've got and every new set is a slight learning curve.

Good luck biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

BROakleyGOLD Member
6 posts

Posted:
Definetly these on ebay seam really cheap .. i am absolutely don't trut that Clip ! I did my first burn a few days ago ! i did my set by myself with cotton instead of kevlar ! it work pretty good for now ! i will Buy a set from HoP as soon as i have Daim Money :P haaaa money :S

misslucygBRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
there's heaps of information on making them on the internet, I chucked in 'making fire poi' and got quite a few sites including a home of poi help quide, I've made my own fire staff, day poi and fire poi, it's a lot cheaper, fun and you know the quality! plus it means you know how to make and replace everything.
Kevla lasts a long time, cotton shorter cos it singes easier (i think..) a way to prolong the life of your kevla even more is to give it a quick dunk (in whatever lighter fluid your using) after your last burn and spin it off before putting them away.