Forums > Social Chat > The Delusions Fire Peeps Keep

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
So, I have been talking to some friends lately and am very disappointed in fire people's attitudes on the whole lately.

First of all, the people who are getting involved are getting younger and younger, which is cool. That I don't have a problem with. But I do have a problem when the kids tell the parents, "Oh this is safe. I can even do it at school for the talent show." Yeah...ummm..right.

Then there are those who have been doing this awhile, friends whom I love dearly, who think that because they spin in their backyard that they don't need safety. This pisses me off to no end. They would rather suffer burns, or burn down a property, rather than spending $20 on a fire extinguisher and a wool army blanket. It's positively insulting.

And my least favorite comes from the idiots who burned 5 people in a bar recently because they saw a fire breather and thought they could figure it out, because "It's so easy."

A. With all the talk of insurance lately I need to say, if you are safe and careful, you won't need to use the liability insurance (the kind that covers everyone else) you should have if performing. Make sure your health insurance is in order. Insurance will not save your arses if something does burn down, it will only HELP cover it if it does.
Use a fire blanket and extinguisher every time you spin with fire! Try to have someone nearby, who knows how to use them, to make sure everything is safe.

B. Just because someone else can do it, doesn't mean it is easy or that you should. Take the time to research and figure things out. If it is worth doing, then it is worth the time.

C. And this one is the most important in my book:

NOTHING WE DO IS FOOLPROOF!!!! We play with fuels and fire, fire is not safe and combined with fuel it is just damn stupid! There are ways to make it safER, certainly. Do not delude yourself into thinking that spinning is accident-proof. Do not relax yourself into the "It'll never happen to me" mentality because the minute you do this, you lose your edge on what is safe and what is not.
We are not clever because we figured out how to do this stuff. We are not the coolest people on the planet because we can do something that makes other people go "OOOOOHHHHH". We risk our health, the well being of those around us and the property we are on everytime we light up. We are stupid. But we don't have to prove it by being unsafe and thoughtless.

*Previous message is the viewpoint of Pele only, and does not reflect the views of Malcolm, Charles, Flash Fire or Home of Poi. Previous message is intended only in regards to FIRE use and not any other form of twirling (though maybe beeming balls could come under this warning! ).*

[ 27 October 2002, 18:53: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That's an excellent idea! I like that, for more than just firebreathing actually. I would love to send someone through a dance routine with a mouthful of water! So, do you know if people were honest and raised their hands?

Pele

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
argh! thats not the only problem tho! seriously, if you got them to hold a measured amount of water in their mouths, and they didnt swallow any, and spat it all out at the end.... you'd still find a significant portion of it missing!

The cheek lining of your mouth is incredibly absorbant to fuels and alcahols! if you hold fuel in your mouth, and are spinning, your heart rate gets pumped up, you breathe more, (plus the burnt fuels you are breathing) that stuff is getting absorbed through your cheek linings, and going straight into your bloodstream, starting to feel a little light headed, because its a toxin and it will do that to you, so sucking in more air.....

tis a vicious circle. No fire breathing for me, i dont feel inclined to make myself sick at this young age.. (maybe when im fifty!)

Put Bluntly!: There is NO safe way to firebreathe! You are killing yourself if you do!

[ 30 October 2002, 12:39: Message edited by: Flynt ]

Currently on the right side up of the world.

Jade Lynxmember
239 posts

Posted:
Whoooo! I will nevernevernever do firebreathing! Not ever! My lungs are jacked already and my gag reflex is not good so i aspirate* liquids pretty easily anyway...

Aspirate: to breathe something other than air into the lungs. That term actually makes a good way to pass it off so people don't hover all over me when i'm coughing my coffee back up. "When i said i had high aspirations, this was not what i meant!"

I have been tempted a time or two to light up when i was all by myself, and then i think for two seconds and laugh at myself, "oh sure, Miss No-Health-Insurance, that's a good idea". Whenever i talk to people about all this, it's the second thing i mention (true confession, the first words out are usually "yeah, i do. It's really fun. You have to be really careful, though, you really can set yourself or other stuff on actual fire..." I
think that anyone who teaches should prob have a glossy sheet with some nice flashy burn damage pictures to show the students.
I do not expect to do professional performance anytime soon, but i'm thinking it out already and the pre-burn speech i have so far has three parts, all of which start and end with the words "what i am going to do is very dangerous!

Thank you, Pele, for a refresher view of something that honestly cannot be overstated...

We got the MikeZ in the house, woot!Glue the ham, hat baby!

MeneeococoaGOLD Member
torn and bleeding warrior of love
133 posts

Posted:
I'm glad someone said that cause i am kinda new and i was thinkin about getting firepoi, but i do ocationally hit myself. Does anyone have any idea what would look as kewl as fire, but is much safer? I use glowstix now, but they aren't too visible and not as flashy as fire. Any suggestions?

I need to find something witty for this so people like me...

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
oooooerrrrrr Masta Rava Breaka, you must be new, that you havent heard yet of the amazing splendiferous wonderful BEAMING BALLS! `

Click on the link to the shop, up the top of ya screen, and there ye may gaze upon these lovelies.... i'm told they look AWESOME! also available are the LED Glowstick Tubey Poi thingamies......

Currently on the right side up of the world.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
The LED Poi are impressive, fun, bright, reuseable, available from this shop and they won't cause a concussion!

Pele

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Pele, several of us raised our hands and declined any further participation in the workshop. It's how I found out firebreathing isn't for this little black duck It was a very powerful experience - great idea to post the story here Rozi I think from memory a few of the people in the workshop went on to fire breathe for the olympics opening ceremony.

MeneeococoaGOLD Member
torn and bleeding warrior of love
133 posts

Posted:
thanx peeps...just tryin to keep safe till i kno i got it down

I need to find something witty for this so people like me...

Page: