Forums > Social Discussion > !!! America and Health Insurance (and Britain) & Visas and Emmigration

Login/Join to Participate

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I don't think I can purchase Health Insurance in the US. Not, can't afford. Can't purchase. No company will sell it to me, it seems (altho, if anyone has any suggestions, I'm happy to make more phone calls).

I want three things.

I want to be covered if I have an auto accident, or something similar, like a heart attack. This ones easy. everyone can get it.

I want to be covered if I have a riding accident. This is much much harder, especially when you cross the line from recreational to employment, or add in things like international travel.

I want to be covered if I become pregnant. Its not that I'm planning to get pregnant. Its not even that its likely- its in fact pretty unlikely! But I don't want to be pregnant and not have health insurance, because thats easily financially ruinous, never mind the whole baby and trouble working thing. This is actually harder to find than the riding accident bit, and the two in combination might not even exist.

Just in case I ever felt like staying in this country... yeah. Dear god.

So, do any of you brits know if I can get personal accident insurance as an american? tongue (Honestly, I mean, if I was in britain at the time, on holiday or a student visa or whatever?). Because then I just have to go back to the health insurance for pregnancy bit... or I could pray whoever did it would marry me... tongue *oy*

EDITED_BY: Kyrian (1124834968)

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Why do americans like to insure themselves so much? Forgive me if im wrong but the english dont do it much (if) at all, but every american wants it...cooky ameircans, its all that living on your own isolated from europe (and the real world LOL) that makes you sooo different.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
you have national health care. and i may not enter the e.u. without proof of health insurance.... your govt thinks we need to be insured too. and fyi, i could not study at most stables in britain, even if i were british, without carrying personal accident insurance...

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
I don't know if you can get personal insurance as a visitor, but if you're a resident then you can (resident = legally entitled to live here for a period of time not on a tourist visa). As for your heart attack: who gets free NHS.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ah, brilliant, so on a student visa I just can't get GP. Thats acceptable. I don't know what I can get in the way of visas... and there's no way I can emigrate short of a sociological miracle. But thanks for the links, and if you have any ideas on tricks to emigrate or even visa ideas (I'm studying at not a university or college so they sometimes reject student ones) I'd love to hear them.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

SpitFireGOLD Member
Mand's Girl....and The Not So Shy One
2,723 posts

Posted:
Have you tried COBRA? Their prices are more expensive, but they tend to insure nearly anyone....just tossing out one more possibility. Why can't you purchase insurance, anyway, if you don't mind me asking?

Solitude sometimes speaks to you, and you should listen.