Forums > Social Chat > Newbie-ish stupid question......

Login/Join to Participate

Woodsmember
33 posts

Posted:
Hey wave, not been on here in a LONG while, finally managed to get some time to spin and am of to Beautiful Days festival this weekend (and will be taking my poi even though I'm dead rusty and not great).

The stupid question is - do any of you feel self-concious when you're spinning and you just KNOW there's a thousand people there that can spin better walking by you? confused

I'm hoping to pick up some tips and learn some new moves, just gotta be brave enough to stop someone and ask them I guess? Or just have a beer or two and get lost in my own little World of Poi! ubblol

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
woods, yes. i used to feel self concious, not that there were other people better than me, but just worried that what i was doing didnt look good. i found that once i said 'im just gonna spin and not worry about how it looks' thatswhen it started looking good.

theresnot much use thinking that there are people better than you, no matter what you do and where you go there will be someone that can do something better than you, you cant let it get to you or you may never leave your house!!

if yer a bit scardey of the fire, you should try doing staff, its alot easier to begin than poi (but thats a whole different therapy session wink)

Good luck and Good spinning
Dr.F

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Woods hun, spinning poi isn't a contest... well I don't feel it is. I spin because I love doing it and love how it makes me feel. I'm not a good spinner and I know it. There are billions of better spinners than me out there. I love to stop and watch them and see how wonderful they look, but it doesn't stop me spinning in front of them, because once upon a time they were beginners too.

If they aren't busy or chilling out, I've been known to ask for tips and hints on how to do new moves. Sometimes they are willing to help sometimes they bow out gracefully as they aren't in the mood to teach right then but I've never been snubbed by a fellow spinner. It never hurts to ask for a bit of help. Just remember to be open and friendly but not pushy.

Good luck, and remember you are spinning for fun. If it stops being fun put the poi down for a bit and do something else.... like eating chocolate.... or puddle dancing...... or singing loudly out of tune....... anything really.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Woodsmember
33 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys/gals!! biggrin

I do it because I love it, it feels great, I guess I've only ever done it in the garden at home though so the thought of doing it in a public place is a tad un-nerving. Suppose nobody's really going to be looking though eh?

I know there are always people who are better than me at everything I do! I suppose more than anything I was worried about being 'snubbed by a fellow spinner' if I asked for advice or a chat.

I also need to learn more moves because I'm running out of things to do. I've only got a handful of the basics together and without linking them it's difficult to get into a flow!

As for being scaredy of the fire Doc, no probs on that front! I'm too stoopid to be scared! ubblol Respectful - yes, scared - no need to be if I respect it.

Damn this dashed shyness! redface

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Woods... to be honest, that's one of the reasons why I don't spin in public, because I know a whole 2 moves (properly)? so I feel so self conscious, and I get nervous and can't do anything. At times though I can spin in public, but usually do it alone.

So yeah, you're not the only one, however, try to overcome the fear, makes things hard for learning

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Woods I've met a fair few spinners and even when all I could do was a weave and a butterfly they didn't snub me. I'm sure if you spin you'll not only find spinners coming up to you for a chat but you'll have non spinners asking you "how do you do that?"

Poi I've found are great as conversation starters. They help you to meet lots of people.

Have fun at Beautiful Days and I look forward to meeting you at one of the other HoP spin meets biggrin

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
I spin mostly at the local park with my tailed poi. even though they do limit the moves you can do, it makes me smile seeing the wee ones staring in awe! And Even though I'm going through a "I hate my body" phase, I funnily enough don't feel uncomfortable or self-conscious. It's like I was born to spin, an extention of my own body!
(also the poi distract from my butt ubblol)

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Woodsmember
33 posts

Posted:
Huzzah! I'm just going to spin like there's no tomorrow!!!

I'll take my tailed and fire ones and enjoy it!

Thanks for the words people!

Will defo try and meet some of you somewhere, somehow, someday! There's a lot I need to learn still!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Hope you dont mind me hi-jacking this post but...

I allways feel silly spinning my tail poi (now im used to the light weight of them compare dto my other LED poi) mainly couse my brother has been stiring [censored] like he allways does. Apparently everyone he knows who lives near us has seen me spin in the garden and says I look like puff with ribbons! LOL, i know its stupid to believe him

I look at other people spinning tail poi on the net and think they dont look like like that at all, but as soon as I pick my own up I grow bright red if anyone sees...grrr wish our garden hedges where taller thers no privicy in it at all.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

dani_babybooSILVER Member
addict
667 posts

Posted:
yer i get like that
im new to it can do about 4 moves and thats it but was filmed for tidy tv praticing and was so funny i kept getting put off and hitting myself even gave myself a black eye, thats why my mates making me some poi out of rope or summat that she uses when in a club. i cant bruise then. redface

enticed, entrapped, entombed.
intoxicated, impaled, ingested.
bewitched, beaten, broken.
enter the love realm...
insert ur token

o jej, ale bym ci wylizal ten pepek

stepped up promotions