Forums > Videos > 1st Vid - The Hydra Staff

Login/Join to Participate

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Hey all.

Some may know that i have a new toy, i've given it a name and made a vid.

The Hydra Staff

Unfortunately its a dry spin, so you dont get to see all the funky heads, but you do get to see how it works (and a bit of staffing by me!)

Hope you all like!!!
Praise and critism welcome!!!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Nice...is it heavy?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Hiya Pyro,

I'm not a staff person myself so wouldn't really know where to start critiquing it. I'll leave that to the next passing stick person. biggrin However, I do think that it's a well put together video, and that you've got a very neat toy- detachable heads are a great idea! smile

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
you staff looks really cool, nice to see your doubles planes are clean and parallel smile

as for critic
1. look up when you spin
2. move your feet
3. watch the video again for the single staff stuff and watch what your doing with your staffless hand

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Motaddict
666 posts

Posted:
Yup looks cool, nice staff.
I agree with everything ben said and to add on try and work your left hand more, most of your single staff stuff was done with your right hand. It's nice to see vids in better quality aswell smile
Keep it up, and make loads more vids.

I reckon that white square you were standing on would look great on a fire vid too.

Come forth and thou shalt win enternal happiness. but he came fifth so he won an electric toatser.

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Hehe.... WOOOH!

Thanks all, glad you liked it!!

Mynci- Its realy heavy, but its the same weight as my other staffs, i like em heavy. you get more momentum and a straighter plane.

Ry- Thx!! Im not much of a poi person but i saw your socks vid and that was cool!!

Ben- I was a bit camera shy, cause i filmed it at school, and there were heaps of kids off to the right on the oval yelling s**t at me. (got em back though, i landed a staff almost right on em) I usually move my feet heaps, like a crazy amount (you'll see went i make a fire vid) i guess i was just thinking to keep it in one spot so the editing was smooth. Im trying to break that habbit of a dead left. I usually use it a bit more than that (fire vid...) but i still need to get some life into it, ive only been doing doubles for a few months and my left isnt quite as skilled yet.

Mot- Same as above smile Quality wise, i remember seeing some recent vids that i couldnt see anything so i thought a quality one was due. I might end up going back there for the fire burn, good idea!!

More vids on the way!!!
Thanks again!!

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
nice vid very well put together

i completely agree with ben about moving your feet but try also moving the whole of your body as well. try making it more of a dance and exagetating your movements.

Your doubles stuff is nice the plains are lovely and tight but try throwing the sticks more and swapping hands while their in the air.

all in all though very nice and refreshing to see such high quality footage

"Don't do it naked!"

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
yeah, still kinda learning doubles (that was the extent of the tricks) if you watch, the last doubles throw, i laugh a bit, thats cause mike (one cam) said do it with your left now.. tongue mind you pretty proud, only been doing it for a month

Disc0annoying boy
160 posts

Posted:
nice vid. i kind of agree whith previous posters.
move a bit more.
look into the camera.
watch your not-spinning hand.

on the other hand - it is about the same level of spinning as me, so now i must go out and try some double staffinf biggrin

cheers!

fire is just light and heat.
it's you friend!

IkleStrawberrySILVER Member
17 posts

Posted:
Thats a very nice staff, I wanted to learn but I suck so bad at it, I cant even twirl my drumsticks. I thought that was very graceful, lovely.

~Im playing the game~

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Cheers Ikle!!
I reckon drumsticks are harder!! Too light for my liking. I sucked bad once too, keep at it, its soooooo much fun.

Seeing as you bumped it for me i shall just let ya all know ive goten better since then, much more flowwing, and yes im starting to move my un-staffed arm tongue

Ill post another vid as soon as i can borrow someones camera, been dieing to put up another!!

Peace out peeps!