Forums > Social Chat > The Home of Poi Film review board

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I thought this might be a good idea...dont know if any of you will. Basically...If you have seen a film recently...write a short report on it..but dont give the unexpected twist in the tale away. That way if your thinking about seeing a film or your not sure if your should or cant decide which one to see..you can say to yourself, whilst pointing at the celing in an "Ive just had and idea!" pose; "A-ha! I shall go and see The Home of Poi Film review board and then we shall decide!"

I shall go first.

I went and saw XXX yesterday...tasty.
Vin Diesel is on top form as is Sameul L. Jackson in this film. The special effects are fantastic (especially in the snowboard scene) as are the gadgets and cars. The basic story line is that Sameul L. Jackson works for the NSA who are trying to infiltrate a gang called Anarchy99 (bit out of date isnt it?) However as the members of Anarchy99 are ex-military they can smell the training of a secret agent a mile off. so Jackson is forced to recreit a Extreme sports tv star (Vin Diesel) to become the agent. And it goes from there. Vin Diesel has to infiltrate Anarchy99 in order to shut it down as they have stolen a super bug, created by the russians , codenamed "Silent Night" with which Anarchy99 plan to lauch missiles all over the world at major cities, london, washington, moscow, etc in order to dystroy order.

Great film i give it 8.5/10

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Here here. I was thoroughly with the acter playing V (i'm terrible with names) that's gotta be really hard to do eith no facial expressions.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
*sits back and is quite proud of his 353 day bump*

biggrin

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poje

Here here. I was thoroughly with the acter playing V (i'm terrible with names) that's gotta be really hard to do eith no facial expressions.

Hugo Weaving. The guy that played Smith in the Matrix. He was perfect biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
its a good bump Jon! smile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Went to see "Diary of the Dead" yesterday.
****SPOILER ALERT****
Hmm.

George A Romero can do much better than this...

While all the other "..of the Dead" movies have been nihilistic "end of civilisation/we're all doomed" affairs, this is just a rather weak attempt at a commentary on the youtube generation. A bunch of spoiled-brat film students and their no-cliché-left-unused professor (none of whom manage to make you care about their fate) drive a winnebago around at the outset of the zombie takeover of the world. There aren't that many zombies really, which is rubbish for a zombie movie, the editing sucks (granted, it's supposed to be edited by one of the characters, but that doesn't excuse referring to something having been said which didn't make the final cut of the movie, or some of the edits where the first word of a sentence is missing), and two large plot holes glare out (how did the cover get off the pool and, if they're miles from anywhere ("the country club is nearer than the next house"), where did all those zombies come form at the end?).

Plus, just like movie makers need to choreograph NOT like the Matrix yet somehow can't resist doing, so has the Blair Witch-esque shaky camera thing been overdone now.

Not the worst cheap horror movie I've ever seen, by a long shot - the melt-the-zombie's-head-with-hydrochloric-acid sequence was very good, for starters, and the Amish guy worked a treat. Plus, of course, this is Romero doing what he does, so the directing and (for the most part) composition work. But far from his best work...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I watched V last night, as far as graphic novel movies go, its the second best after Sin City, IMHO

smile

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
as far as movies with graphic novel style graphics are concerned! i really liked "A Scanner Darkly"

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Speaking of which....

Any one seen Tank Girl with Lori Petty?

ubblol

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Dead Leaves. *shudder*

Try putting your eyes in a blender with a kg of LSD, Tank Girl and FLCL.

Was amazing.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

shocked_prawnSILVER Member
old hand
865 posts

Posted:
haha yeah ive seen tank girl ubblol

Proud Co-Owner of PoiBoi
Owned by J.A.C

Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Tank girl was cool.

A Scanner darkly was very cleverly filmed, FX'ed and the story was ace. I'm a big fan.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
The Interpreter was on TV the other night. A movie that I'd always wanted to see. I must admit I wasn't a fan of Nicole Kidman in it. I think Sean Penn was excellent though. I still enjoyed the film, had a nice little twist.

Has anyone seen 'Run Fatboy Run' yet? It only just came out in Aus and I'm dying to go see it. Simon Pegg is a legend! And Dylan Moran is in it! ubblove

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately I don't spend enough time on movies as I should: My international cinema record is filled of various asian movies, Amelie (a personal favorite), and Once - a lower budget Irish film I saw recently that I absolutely adore - I believe I could say this and still maintain my masculinity - it was a cute date movie - that is, if your date doesn't mind loose and fast creative usage of the f-word.

I'm sure some of you can recommend me some fun, arty, or fantastic romps into the depths of visual human expression from around the world. smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Don't see Meet the Spartans.

Just. Don't.

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
You should've known better Brenn...

I did! tongue

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Just as well I didn't go see it at the cinemas ubblol

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
I'd write a review of "10 000 BC" - I saw it last night - but my brain is still horribly bruised by how completely, utterly, relentlessly dreadful it was and can't put sentences together.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
Into The Wild

Summary: After graduating from Emory University, top student and athlete Christopher McCandless abandons his possessions, gives his entire $24,000 savings account to charity and hitchhikes to Alaska to live in the wilderness. Along the way, Christopher encounters a series of characters that shape his life.

Wow, this film is a wonderful piece of cinematography.....based on a true story, the acting, the imagery, the soundtrack, and whole package combine to make it a truly pleasurable experience to watch. There were many aspects of the main characters story that I could relate directly with, which made the film difficult to watch at times also.

First film I've seen in a while that had a big spiritual & emotional impact. Highly recommended!!

weavesmiley juggle

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
In Bruges
It's an utterly brilliant film from a first time director (he'd previously done theater and one short film). After a job gone horribly, horribly wrong, hitmen Ken (the ever wonderful gentleman, Brendan Gleeson) and Ray (Colin Farrell- who actually surprised me with a pretty great performance) are sent by their employer, Harry (who I was delighted to see played by Ralph Fiennes), to lay low and blend in with holiday tourists in the f---ing fairytale town of Bruges, Belgium, and await further instructions. Their little "vacation" take darkly comic and surreal turns the longer and longer the pair wait for Harry's call. Trust me, if you can catch it, it's a must see.

On the other hand...
Doomsday
Okay, okay, my brother and I just caught this flick last night. Granted, there was a scene that had me completely distracted by fire and wire wool poi in the background. Aside from that, this was perhaps the WORST movie evah! Johnny Bass and I started to play "spot the movie references" as we went along. He thinks the writers did it as an intentional joke. Seriously. It was a little of Aliens, a little 28 Days Later, a little Resident Evil, a little King Arthur, and a little Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. Yes, you heard that combination right. Plus, it had a leading lady who was trying to toe the line between Seline from Underworld, Alice from Resident Evil, and Aeon. Soooo awful, it was hilarious.

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
I went to see Be Kind Rewind the other day. While it's far from a cinematic masterpiece, by the time I left the cinema my heart felt sufficiently warmed. 'twas nice.

Also, even if AvP was your cup of tea as it was mine, do not expect to enjoy AvP 2 *shudders*

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

Page: