Forums > Social Chat > The Home of Poi Film review board

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I thought this might be a good idea...dont know if any of you will. Basically...If you have seen a film recently...write a short report on it..but dont give the unexpected twist in the tale away. That way if your thinking about seeing a film or your not sure if your should or cant decide which one to see..you can say to yourself, whilst pointing at the celing in an "Ive just had and idea!" pose; "A-ha! I shall go and see The Home of Poi Film review board and then we shall decide!"

I shall go first.

I went and saw XXX yesterday...tasty.
Vin Diesel is on top form as is Sameul L. Jackson in this film. The special effects are fantastic (especially in the snowboard scene) as are the gadgets and cars. The basic story line is that Sameul L. Jackson works for the NSA who are trying to infiltrate a gang called Anarchy99 (bit out of date isnt it?) However as the members of Anarchy99 are ex-military they can smell the training of a secret agent a mile off. so Jackson is forced to recreit a Extreme sports tv star (Vin Diesel) to become the agent. And it goes from there. Vin Diesel has to infiltrate Anarchy99 in order to shut it down as they have stolen a super bug, created by the russians , codenamed "Silent Night" with which Anarchy99 plan to lauch missiles all over the world at major cities, london, washington, moscow, etc in order to dystroy order.

Great film i give it 8.5/10

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
O.k.. The other day I saw "signs" with Mel Gibson. It's good, but there isnt really an unexpected twist so to speak.

It aboyut these people who live in this farm thing and they find crop circles and on the news it says theres been crop circles all over the world, and everyones all, like, "Hey aliens are invading!" And then something else happens. That Im not gonna say. But anyway, I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10, so go and watch it!!!

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

AstroBoymember
43 posts

Posted:
I don't really feel like writing a long review but I saw "The Ring" 2 days ago and it is now in my top ten favorite horror films. The entire theater was pissing their pants. Go see this movie!!! It's one of those beat the clock movies, so there is suspense the whole movie. Make sure to bring a friend, you will need their arm!

Kittytheravequeenmember
285 posts

Posted:
well im going to see red dragon this week so ill get back to you when ive seen it. but my hopes are high
love n hugz kitty

i'll draw you a picture ill draw it with a twist ill draw it with a razorblade ill draw it on my wrist and if i do it right a red fountain will appear washing away my sorrow washing away my fear

djevcamember
32 posts
Location: somewhere between heaven and hell, in a place with...

Posted:
im with astroboy.......if there is one movie you will see this month. see the ring.i saw it a week ago and im still hgaving nightmares.yay!!!!!seriously,its worth the insane-jacked-up price you pay for it

HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I went last night and saw "Jackass: the Movie", funniest thing I have seen in months and months. I was laughing so hard that at points I was crying.
It's rated R for language (you have to expect alot of the "f" word when doing crap that they do), some male nudity (alot of arse shots) and overall stupid stunt content.
Concept: A bunch of friends get together and do the stupidest things known to man. Why? Because they can.
Best part of the movie: The alligators and Bam's Mom and the Panda Suits in Japan, also the fact that these guys make us look not so stupid for what we do.
Worst Part of the movie: The constant puking. If you have a weak stomach at all, don't see this film.

I give it a 9.5 out of 10.

I have seen about 8 movies in the past couple of weeks. As soon as I can remember which ones I saw, I'll be back.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
I'm very pleased with myself. My local video store was having a sale on ex-rental videos, so I managed to get myself 6 videos for AUD$50. Bargain!!! I got:

Shrek Better Than Sex Boys don't cry Harry Potter Chasing Amy The English Patient
Boys Don't Cry is truly harrowing. If ever you want to see a challenging & confronting movie about sexuality, this is it. And it is a true story.

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
Have any of you folks seen 'Donnie Darko' and care to do a review?
Although i think i'll go see it anyway.. it looks both interesting and disturbing.. yay

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

glowshowmember
406 posts

Posted:
Jackass~

11/10!

I'm going to see it again!

Some of my favorite parts were the Rental-car Demolition Derby, the Little Blue Racecar, and when they put the muscle stimulator on dude's "gooch."

Make that 11.5/10!

FREE TIBET!!! (with the purchase of a 44 oz. drink)What do you want to be when you grow up?I want to be a kid again!I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.~~~J~~~

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey glowshow, I was just in Charlotte last weekend!
Anyway, Rozi, actually Boys Don't Cry, while being an exemplary film and a sad social statement on acceptance overall, was loosely based on the true story. I saw interviews with the real people after the film was released and there were many things that were played up for Hollywood . Still, it was a harrowing movie.

Okay, next 4 on my list.

Saw "Ghost Ship" tonight.
Premise: Salvage Crew are hired by a ferrier to identify and bring in a ship that had been concidered missing for 40 years.
Rating: R because of violent content and some language. Oh, and there is a naked lady for all of 30 secs, but she was pretty hot.
Positives: It made Whipping Boy jump at one point! Anyway, the concept was a relatively new one on an old theme, which was refreshing. There were some good laughs and some decent eye candy. It did have a kickin' soundtrack, a few tunes I intend to spin to.
Negatives: It was kind of predictable. I had part of it figured out minutes into the movie and the rest put together within the first 40 min or so. Also, (I thought) there was alot of gratuitous gore scenes that served only as time filler.
Overall: I give it a 6 out of 10. It's good for a rental or cheap theater movie.

Next: Sweet Home Alabama

Premise: Country girl turns city slicker returns home to get a divorce from childhood sweetheart.
Rating: I think PG or PG-13. Only for bad language.
Positives: Good date movie for the sappy romantic girl as it was very chick flick. There were some good plot twist type things. The dog was cute. Several funny parts.
Negatives: Typical chick flick. Girl can't make up mind, gets freaky over it all, etc. I also think I can identify some of the characters in the movie with people in my home town!
Overall: I liked it. But then again, I am a chick! 6.5 out of 10

Austin Powers: Goldmember

Premise: International spy is back at it again to save the world from Dr. Evil's dastardous plan, and this time save his father.
Rating: I think PG-13 for sexual overtones.
Positives: Mike Myers in his diverse, slapstick stylings was pretty funny. The first 5-10 minutes were more than worth watching!
Negatives: If you have seen the other two AP movies, you pretty much have the sum of this one.
Overall: Rent it, MP3 it, but don't waste $7+ on it. It'll be just as silly on a small screen.

My Big Fat Greek Wedding

Premise: A Greek Comedian took her stage show about her life and made it into this movie about a geeky greek girl turned "princess".
Rating: I think the only reason it wasn't rated G is because little kids wouldn't have gotten the jokes. *shrug*
Positives: If you know anyone who is Greek, or who has a large family, then you will understand this movie. It is the funniest freakin thing. I have seen it twice and laughed both times, with my male friends no less! There are just too many touching and funny moments to list.
Negatives: I can't think of one. I loved this movie, as did every friend who saw it with me.
Overall: Theater it, rent it, buy it...I don't care, this movie is really funny, especially to those of us who have suffered through "Ugly Duckling Syndrome" growing up.

I think that is all five movies from the past week and a half (including my previous post)!

[ 27 October 2002, 19:30: Message edited by: Pele ]

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Tonight, simian and I had the unfotunateness to submit ourselves to watching Dungeons and Dragons.

It was Rubbish.

simian counts it as the 3rd worst film he has ever seen.
Im not counting it as a film.
Our rating: 0/10

pounceSILVER Member
All the neurotic makings of America's lesser known sweetheart
9,831 posts

Posted:
saw Stark Raving Mad last week. the plot is about a group of bank robbers who throw a rave next door to the bank to hide the noise they are making to rob the bank.

had some interesting plot twists. stars Seann William Scott (Stifler from American Pie). overall, i really enjoyed it, it was funny, had a good plot line. i'd give it an 8 out of 10

I was always scared with my mother's obsession with the good scissors. It made me wonder if there were evil scissors lurking in the house somewhere.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

**giggles**

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
I saw the Butterfly Effect at the weekend.

It was really good.
Time travel and burning dogs and a few killingths and also mad people locked up in mad people houses.

It's about one mans effort to save his world, and the results of his time travelling antics.In the cinema there was a happy-pappy monkey Bo**ox ending, so if anyone saw it there and was dissapointed, I could understand, that ending just makes no sense and smells.

On the DVD you get the proper ending, which is really good, and you can see the rubbish ending in the extra's.

It's really good and you should all get it out on DVD.

I give it 8/10

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

MoohaahaaBRONZE Member
enthusiast
382 posts

Posted:
Cole, review the Idiots for everyone please, I must go now.

They need to know

Some things you have to see to believe, but
Some things you have to believe in to see.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Donnie Darko

One of the best movies ive ever seen! Theres a directors cut (or something like that) just been released in the cinemas over her in the U.K so I might go and see it again!

Time travelling. 6ft bunies and hallogenic drugs! Cool combinations. The plot is very hard to describe (very similar to the Dune movie actually) but the gist of it is, a boy is told by this tall bunny that in 7 days (or something) the world will end, before his bedroom is crushed by a random jet engine.

Verry good-ski. 10/10 a must see!

(plus its got Mad World in it! Bonus point!)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
How about Shaun of the Dead?

*Kael wants to see this british flick.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
yes. see it.

it is funny and you get to see people getting ripped apart by zombies.

there just arent enouugh films you can say that about...

8.2/10

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

MEERCATBRONZE Member
A Meerkat that eats chicken
194 posts

Posted:

I love shaun of the dead......the only film i have laughed out loud in the cinema to

ubblol ubblol ubblol

LyraSILVER Member
spiny norman
314 posts

Posted:
I saw Drop Dead Fred whille i was babysitting last week, they got it free from papajohns ubblol

much better than the crap i expected it to be, gets bonus points for just being bizzare

Plot: girl loses husband, car, job all in one day, Drop Dead Fred, her childhood imaginary friend returns to "help" her get happy again

Problem: girl is the only one who can see drop dead fred, but his actions still have physical effects, thus everyone thinks she 's nuts, it seems like he is making her life worse instead of better

anyways, totally weird and crap, but in a rather endearing way wink

if you think that our kiss was all in the lips, come on you got it all wrong man, and if you think that our dance was all in the hips then, oh well, do the twist -The White Stripes

DominoSILVER Member
UnNatural Scientist - Currently working on a Breville-legged monkey
757 posts

Posted:
The other day I saw Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Cool and corny in equal measure. Interesting, I haven't really seen anything like it. It's based in a alternative version of (around) 1939, gaint robots invade and it's up to Sky Captian to track down the source and stop them.

It's the kind of film that Hollywood would make in 1930ish if they had the technology. It's all blue screen and looks like it's had a filter put on it to make the colours look a bit like a comic book (just my opinion)

It's pretty funny in places and full of retro style.

Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand and I can beat the world into submission.

weeleighlook a rainbow!
237 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I just saw Sky Captain, too, and I rather liked it. There was not enough Angelina in it, I didn't think, but it made me laugh, and I really liked the color thing. It was very cool looking.

And reading back about all The Ring stuff, I can't wait for The Grudge to come out. I'm gonna go have the **** scared out of me. I saw part of the Japanese version of it, and it was scary as hell, so yay!

And just cause I saw it many times recently, Emperor's New Groove...awesome. 10/10. Makes me laugh out loud every time I see it. Oh, classic. " Noooo..... Llama-face...." hehehe

"Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth."

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
A DVD review, hope that's OK...

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

I saw this when it came out at the cinema, and I have to say I was totally blown away by it. I'm not a big fan of Jim Carrey's comedy acting (although Bruce Almighty is a really... likeable film), he seems o do so much better when playing it straight. The Truman show was his breakthrough, but this is his masterpeice.

It's a romance, I'd say, with elements of Drama, Comedy and even non-spacey Sci-Fi. The quiet and shy Joel (Carey) meets the beautiful, mental hippy type Clementine (Kate Winslet). I can only speak for myself but I have to say that I empathised with Carey's portrayal of shyness so much I was reduced to tears several times in this film, something that rarely happens. The film deals with people deciding to selectivley erase parts of their memory in order to live their lives without past traumas haunting them, but the main thread of the story deals with remembering a love that has been lost, and knowing someone well enough to get a chance to win it back.

Particularly touching are Joel's childhood memories, where a young Clem appears and helps him overcome traumas he faced then - thus negating the "quick fix" option he's chosen. It's really beautiful to see a holywood film (with a pretty big budget) deal with something on such an intimate, personal level.

Written by Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation) and directed by Michal Gondry (Loads of amazing artistic music vids), this film has a lot of talent behind it. The script dazzles, and the cast all fulfill their roles with obvious enjoyment. There are some amazing special effects in the film, although they tend to be of the non-digital kind - particularly impressed with a house on a beach falling down as the sea enters it, representing the erasure of memories.

All in all I was very surprised by this. I went to the cinema expecting some surreal withion-the-mind kind of antics, but this film is the best representation of the subconscious, the dream-state that I have seen (including Waking Life). An accolade I have never given before, I can truly say this is my favourite film of all time. I thought that maybe because I saw so much of myself in Joel, and quite a bit of my girlfriend in Clem, that it would just appeal to me, but I have yet to meet the person who didn't love it (and don't want to! tongue ). Got the DVD on monday (this week it's only £11.99 from Virgin) and I'm saving it until I can devote a whole day to it, with the writer/director commentary, deleted scenes and stuff... biggrin

Personally, it's such a 10/10. It just couldn't be improved in any way. Really really reccomended!!!

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Mistress_MaledictiHeaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over
192 posts

Posted:
I saw "21 Grams" at the weekend, very good film once we'd worked out what the sequence was! The structure of the film is a little strange as it seems to be working back to front (bit like "Memento") but then you get to a point where you work out what's happening and it all starts to make sense.

The title refers to the supposed weight of the human soul, which kind of gives you a clue as to the type of film you're seeing. The story basically revolves around a guy who needs a heart transplant, and it takes you through where the donor heart came from and how it came to be available. I don't want to give away too much here but if you like grainy thought-provoking films, this is one for you.

"Abashed, the Devil stood and saw how awful Goodness is"

Mistress_MaledictiHeaven doesn't want me, and Hell is afraid I'll take over
192 posts

Posted:
I saw "Touching the Void" recently too - it's about two climbers who successfully summitted a never-before-climbed face of a particular mountain. They ran into difficulties on their descent and one of them ended up with a seriously injured leg. Because of the way they were managing their descent, the uninjured guy was lowering the injured one via a rope that was about 300ft long so he couldn't see what was happening. At one point, the guy being lowered went over the edge of a precipice and was just hanging in mid-air. The guy on the other end knew something was wrong but couldn't do anything about it so after several hours, he made a very tough decision and cut the rope.

Afterwards you get the amazing story of what happend next....a truly inspiring tale of courage and determination in the face of what looked like insurmountable odds.

Ger yer tissues ready!

"Abashed, the Devil stood and saw how awful Goodness is"

TrillianBRONZE Member
Llamas are larger than frogs.
319 posts

Posted:
Awwwww, I loved Eternal Sunshine!

"I know a good deal more than a boiled carrot."
"Fire!" "Where?" "Nowhere, I was just illustrating the misuse of free speech."

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
He! Good biggrin

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
A tribute to 'Hero'

Similar to Crouching Tiger in terms of film type (ie mostly martial arts perfromed spectacularly well on wires) and with an equally brilliant story. The whole thing is about a nameless warrior who achieves what no one else has done (don't worry, im not giving any of the story away).
The film is in Chinese with Engish subs which, while being annoying in that you are constantly looking at the bottom of the screen instead of the action, is still miles better than dubbing it which of course sucks!
I advise everyone goes to see it especially you martial arts fans; any squeemish girls are ok cos its not gory or bloody at all. Jonathon Ross called it the most beautiful film ever made, and I agree, as do my mates who went to see it with me.

***** Five stars on the Flame-Boy-ometer

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
ADDITIONAL:

Stars Jet Li as the nameless hero, and one of the girls from Crouching Tiger. Jet is gooooooood.

AAARRRGGGHHH!!! My giant stick broke!!! In two!!! My stick broke in two!!! ubbcrying

c00kiemember
101 posts

Posted:
I watched Hero the other day, what an amazing film! Brought a tear to my eye! ubbcrying

Life is too short.....lets party naked!

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
THE LIFE AND DEATH OF PETER SELLERS:

Starring Geoffrey Rush, Charlize Theron, John Lithgow and some other famous peeps, this is a film for all the Peter Sellers fans and general film lovers out there. Not everyone will get a kick out of this one, I think you have to be a bit of a film buff and knowing a thing or two about Peter Sellers in the first place wouldn't hurt. Rush plays all parts (he plays over a dozen roles in the film) very well and fits the title role like glove.
Any thoughts from anyone else?

**** on the F-B-ometer

Flame BoyGOLD Member
veteran
1,508 posts

Posted:
Look out...I've seen some more films.

SHARK TALE:

Cheesy...but very funny. Will Smith brings life to the film as the main character 'Oscar', coping very well with his first voice-over job. The film is constantly intersersed with all those famous one-liners from other famous films of all sorts (eg "You can't handle the truth" and a 'Jaws' shaped hole in a bill board) making you cringe every five minutes or so. Nevertheless, I think those of you seeking a few chuckles should go see it.

**** on the F-B-ometer (in terms of animated films)

Page: