RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Had a weird experience last night. My flatmate has bought a new cologne, the smell of which reminds me of my ex-partner & makes me quite morose.

My smell memory is quite strong. On the walk to uni there was a point where you could smell the chip fat from the canteen. it used to remind me of when I was a little tacker in the UK, visiting the haymarket theatre in Leicester. When you used to walk down the big steps there was a point where you could smell exactly the same smell from a nearby fish & chips shop.

What smells remind you of stuff? Do they change your mood?

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
moth balls remind me of my second grandparents house....
erm...sowwy...
but my mood can change pretty fast...
like no matter what season it is i can feel like it is oktober or any of the others but mostly oktober....
i don't know how to describe it mabee someone else can....

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
this is combined with sound as well...

but when i hear a lawn mower- with the smell of fresh cut grass, and then the spinkler and the smell of water- it reminds me of a sunday arvo- and makes me feel a bbq is comin on.

that used to be a typical sunday arvo when i was growin up... the lawn gettin mowed, then putting a sprinkler on it... so i guess it has stuck.

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Rozi, apparently smell memories are located in the primordial area of the brain (can't think of the technical names).

Anyhow, smell is a powerful sense that is linked with our memories. Someone might be able to provide a bit more on the technical side. I'm not with it today.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
everything reminds me of everything, Rozi, and i have little desire to turn anything off.

nor to hide by pretending everything which is happening isn't, just outside my perception.

but smell is wonderful, rarely given the delightful attention it deserves. did you read Perfume yet, if i remember its name right, novel out of France? its hit time was like a decade & a half ago, but it's still a rare one: kid is born in a fish stall in stinky Paris, and has no body odor. . .none at all, at a time when everyone stinks. he goes by and people don't realize it until he's past, it creeps them out. . .his nose is outstanding, and rapacious, even criminal. . .

d'you read it yet, you'd prolly love it, easy read, too.

ex boyfriend, you simply need a new one with a stronger new perfume code association for you, or even the same one, with new meaning. got a good boyfriend now, or should i be hitting on you as well as drome pixie as she reveals in her terrifyingly fierce Latino (Latina) thread?

~ rrrouff rroufff!

with all my love,

~ Mikie

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

Distorted Silencemember
217 posts

Posted:
I'd have to agree that the worst smell would be the nice smell of an ex... Always brings up memories... Unfortunately, most guys tend to wear the same deoderant down here

My smell memories last longer than my normal memories. I can still remember the smell of my blanket when I was a baby.

You've got to move fast to beat the Devil - Your arm's too short to box with God.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
lol. You are a sweet bunch of people

Please don't worry. The cologne smell just reminds me of lovely times and lovely places. It sometimes makes me wish I was back there, and that is when I get sad. (like the smell of my grandpa's porridge, now that he has gone I will never return to that moment). I know there will be other smells, other times, other people. It doesn't mean I don't miss what was.

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
And Firemike, you are always welcome to hit on me cos your just yummy

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
Originally posted by FíreMîke:

did you read Perfume yet, if i remember its name right, novel out of France? its hit time was like a decade & a half ago, but it's still a rare one: kid is born in a fish stall in stinky Paris, and has no body odor. . .none at all, at a time when everyone stinks. he goes by and people don't realize it until he's past, it creeps them out. . .his nose is outstanding, and rapacious, even criminal. . .

Apparently in that book, the guy with no body odour has no senses apart from a sense of smell, this is because when he was born his mother tried to kill him by leaving him to die in a pile iof fish guts and shit... None of the nurseswho look after rejected babies would care for him. He grows up to work for this man who makes perfume, but hes not aloud to tell everyone that thats where he works.

I only know all this stuff because there's a nirvana song about it, called sentless aprentice, and i found this thing where it explains all the lyrics. Anyway, I wanna get the book.

[ 26 October 2002, 22:21: Message edited by: cutie poi girlie ]

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
erm...the smell would probably be the vast ammounts of sick i created last night (bloody friday nights!!) after eating 3 huge jacket potatoes with cheese...and wahsing them down with vodka mixers and shots and beers.....aaahhhhhhhhhh...my head is spinning....and it reeks...properly (my room reeks and not my head)

cutie poi girliemember
237 posts

Posted:
Lol at UCOF! Actually that was pretty much what happened to me last night, my boyfriend kept trying to feed me these really nice potato and herb things and then I went and drank lots of alchohol and then I went in the mosh pit...stoopid thing to do I guess..
Oh well atleast I didnt throw up IN the mosh pit..that woulda been harsh..

Luv peace 'n' chicken grease Al X x

LuNcHbOx...(Aka. Nathan)-un-singlemember
536 posts

Posted:
dude that sux!!!
I remeber how me dad smelled....
he worked at this big company factory called "Ray-loc"
and he always had on the same workshirt...
only i can describe to myself how it smelled,
because i don't really know a lot of smells...

but anywhoo my father divorced my mom and i have seen him like once every 4-5 years...
He forgot my birthday last year...erm..this year...but i think he might remember th- next year....
hopefully....
well hugz to evryboty!!!

-LuNcHbOx, Aka. Nathan...Give a man to fish, and that man knows where to come for more fish...Teach a man to fish and you have just destroyed your market base...

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
back to you

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
but Rozi, if i hit on ya, will ya hit me back, like grab onto my hand & go for more?

quote:
Originally posted by cutie poi girlie:
there's a nirvana song about it, called sentless aprentice, and i found this thing where it explains all the lyrics. Anyway, I wanna get the book.
yup yup yup, dat's da beginnin before da real deal starts. . . Rozi, ya read it yet?

~ Mikie

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I love the smell of a thunderstorm coming. One of the few things I like about the Midwest. You can smell the ozone on the air as the charges build up in the clouds.

It's beautiful.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
I have always loved the smell of vanilla, not the commercially packaged imitations or the cologne interpretations, but real, honest-to-god bean-sprung Vanilla. It reminds me of someone I used to be very close to, 'cause she would dab it on her skin instead of some perfume...she smelled wonderful...drove me nuts, too.

Contrarily, another smell I associate with memories is wet burlap, and although I don't remember why, it fills me with a feeling of immense discomfort, an eerie uneasines. Weird, huh?

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Maybe the discomfort comes from a past life memory Prometheus, point to ponder...

My favorite smell is the smell of a tropical rainstorm coming. I remember as a little girl when I was living in N.Z that my nana would sit me on her knee and tell me to breathe in really deep. I rememeber that I would smell a slightly sweet smell and I would get all excited because it meant that thunder and lightening were on their way... Haven't smelt that same smell since I left N.Z... it really reminds me of home.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"