Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Performers required, Pakistan 2nd Sept - 18th Sept 2005

Login/Join to Participate

hexagonicClubbles Jugs
1,687 posts

Posted:
any money offered?

ah wah wah wah a wah wah

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
These guys have offered to fly me to Pakistan to perform in this circus. Is there anything I should do to confirm that this is legit? They're buying the plane ticket, so it should be ok, yes? I've never had a gig like this. It makes me a bit nervous. Also, it's so soon that I'm racing as of today to do the visa stuff.

Any advice would be appreciated. I remember that there was a scam going around a year or two ago, wasn't there?

...I've spoken with them on the phone. They seem nice.

nick

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
Looks like I'm doing this. Does anyone know anything about Pakistan? Is it safe for poi spinners? Are poi spinners high on the target list? Should I start a poi-spinners-without-borders organizatoin?

n

"They're interdimensional fractal intelligences. That's why they wear funny shoes."

Space Queennewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Yes Nick, go do it!! Remember that you take your safety with you wherever you go. Ther is no danger or threat without you, so make sure there will not be within.
And that means, yes Pakistan is quite safe for you.

Thinking of you with a whole lotta love every day. ubblove ubblove ubblove

Some people hate me... Just because I eat little kids?!
Whatta crazy world.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure what you mean by a 'target list'. (Something to do with our current political propaganda system re those nasty muslim types vs nice us? (better leave that thought form at home real fast!)

But well, one thing I would say about Pakistan is that it shares a lot of characteristics with its neighbour, India... but is more isolated from the wider world...which will make what you do even as a spinner, and probably everything else about you really, dress etc...even more extraordinary. You will no doubt attract a lot of attention on the street, and are likely to attract crowds of what can easily be called gawkers.. you won't have to do much unusual to attract even large crowds, excited crowds even, just walking down the street. And with virtually no women among them. This may not always be to your liking and can itself make people feel unsafe.

We have ettiquettes or unspoken rules in the western world about not staring, following you, calling names and words out loud to someone, touching your stuff... these can be very different in public spaces in Pakistan. If you were to start eg spinning in public.. well.. see what happens! The crowds you gathered may not always just go away when you decide you've had enough... this is esactly what happened to some friends of mine, they were followed for ages by a very excited crowd or men, couldn't lose them even to go to eat, ...and ended up feeling it was all rather edgy. Not to say that people aren't friendly or that you really are unsafe.. it can just be very unnerving, especially when very very few people speak your language. You may be asked the same question a thousand times. You may be regarded as a dangerous being, as you come from the side of the world that has spent a lotof time destroying the country next door (Afghanistan) It is often a very good idea to let people you are Canadian, and not from your southern neighbour.

OF course you may also be hanging out with very sophisticated and well educated people with great dignity who do not behave like this at all. You certainly are going to have an extraodinary experience and you MUST let us all know how it goes!!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MeenikSAPPHIRE Member
enthusiast
272 posts

Posted:
I was just trying to find out how seriously I should take the travel warnings. Canada has a warning out to not go to Pakistan... but they have warnings about a lot of countries, many that I want to go to. I've been out of the loop politically lately, so I was hoping somebody had some better information.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement!

Poifully,

nick

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
They'd already contacted me directly...

I'm guessing my fees were to high wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Pakistan has always been a wild and woolly place, especially in rural/fringe areas. Lots of guns and violence(think.. warlords) little that the police will do for you if your are in trouble. There has always been heaps of bribery and corruption, random acts of violence etc quite apart from any current political/terrorist activities. You are right to question the emphasis on these.. we do get hyped information about that side of things as it suits our own 'masters of war' to keep us in fear. I mean the Aussie Govt advisory on Canada says:

"Australians in Canada are advised to be alert to their own security. As you would in Australia, use common sense and be alert to suspicious activities."

Fair enough, but they all start with that vibe: assume you are unsafe, live suspiciously. it;s part of the Rule by Fear... vote for me cos I make you feel unsafe... personally i don't buy it, but a lot of people do....

*stops ranting*

Meanwhile back in Pakistan: which is actually one of the 9 countries the Oz advisories actually say 'don't go to'. Meaning there is a higher RISK of bad stuff happening, not a certainty that is will .And risk is reduced by sticking close to people who have an interest in protecting and looking after you.. ie your circus crew.

My own 'advisory' would be: stay close to your base, keep yourself healthy.There is also the usual health risks from bad water,contaminated food, crap electrical sockets etc.
Think of it as a tough job in a constant low level war zone, don't think of it as a great place to travel/chill, cos although in some ways it used to be.. in other ways it was always one of the tough places, even when it was on the 'hippie trail' and there were more Western faces around.
What an adventure for you!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....