AzadondoSILVER Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
So, I have done a total of six burns with my fire heads, first one was a few days ago. Once they start getting low, I spin them as fast as I can to put them out so the wicks don't burn, which it looks as though they have started to burn (which I assume is because they are on fire and is normal), and I redunc them after letting them cool down for a minute. My question is this: I have noticed that the burn time has greatly depreciated in the six burns I've done... from 10 minutes to 5 minutes, is this normal and it will work its way back up? Or have I [censored] them up already? A month ago people were talking about conditioning the wicks by lighting and extinguishing them a doven or so times... but it was decided in that thread that it was not needed. So is there anything I can do to get the burn times back up, is it the normal way of things, or did I screw up?

Oh and I an using cathedrals.

Thanks

Performing marriages, funerals, baptisisms, last rites and absolving the sins for HoPers for-- not very long actually.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
'conditioning' or 'curing' wicks by lighting and extinguishing them a dozen (or whatever) times prior to the first burn, has been pretty much shown to be a total myth here.

Many (myself included), are of the opinion that, when using paraffin, it is of benefit to the wicks to extinguish them well before they go out of their own accord, and dunk them immediately into the paraffin, on every burn.

The theory is that this stops the smouldering that could damage the kevlar.

DO NOT do this if you are using white gas as it is dangerous- the white gas could well ignite on contact with hot wick

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

AzadondoSILVER Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
Do you blow it out? Because whever I have tried blowing it out it acts like a trick birthday candle and reignites itself. But has anyone else found it to be the case with new wicks that the burn time goes down and then increases again, or is there anything I can do to get the time up again?

Performing marriages, funerals, baptisisms, last rites and absolving the sins for HoPers for-- not very long actually.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I use a steel extinguishing tube to put out long burning fire props, exclude air, head goes out etc, typically some of the kit I regularly make use of can be made to burn for upto between 10 and 15 minutes for comercial shows etc. Mainly I prefer fully internally cored tube poi and staff, which I make to my own spec.

I have been asked to make cathederal fold poi for people before, to be honest I'm not that sold on the build but it seems to work well enough, giving times of around 10 mins consistently, uses a lot of kevlar though.

With regards to your particular issue, two things come to mind, aside from dunking as soon as extinguished as long as using kero / parafin.

That is (1) while the wicks are still substantially warm, between burns, the running time will be reduced, I tend to notice this more with Poi than staff, typically from cold, i can expect to get around 12 mins full run, there after around 8 mins unless allowed to cool fully.

(2) Your particular catherderall wicks are these fully kevlar or are they hybrid wicks, containing both kevlar with a cotton core, cheap build, but very susepatable to degredation.

mark

AzadondoSILVER Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
They are the full kevlar wicks that are sold here at the HoP shop. What is a steel extinguishing tube, and where might get one/ how could I make one?

Thank you for the help so far.

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
It's nothing fancy, I use a spaghetti tube which happens to be made from steel, sealed at one end, probably easier to buy one than make, unless you have access to metal rolling skills and welding / folding equip.

Although most metal tubes of reasonable thickness will work well, so long as the heads fit, for efficient extinguishment, try and match closely the size of head to tube diameter, your going to need about a one foot of tube length, and please DON'T be tempted to blow into the tube to speed up the process, or you will get a face full of fire.

mark

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
warming your wicks will make it easier for the flame to stay, as they need to reach the threshold of latent heat before any fire is created.

with all that soot, you'll depreciate the price of your toys.

financial terms outta context day has arrived!
EDITED_BY: bender™ (1124154097)

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
Hmmm after reading this im kinda annoyed at myself. ive just made a new funky staff, im gonna make an extishuishing tube, seems to be the way to go. except the staff has some monkey fist heads, first thing i noticed is that they burn FOREVER, litteraly, my arms died before they did, i couldnt blow em out because there too big, so i just let em burn out. any method that should be used for the monkeys? im gonna be spinning at a mates party this weekend, would be nice to be ready for it....

i just notiiced after checking just then that the wick has white burnt bits.... kicking my self for it.

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
yeah I let my monkey fist ropes burn out for the first time and also found white residual strands in the wick- most annoying when I spen all that time tying them frown

Still they still burn fine, I guess they just won't last anywhere near as long frown

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Written by: PyroMonkey

except the staff has some monkey fist heads, first thing i noticed is that they burn FOREVER, litteraly, my arms died before they did, i couldnt blow em out because there too big

that'll be the case only for now - stick with it bro, and you will be POWAH-pyromonkey!
seriously, the gain in stamina will have other non-twirling applications that i'll tell you about when you're married. biggrin

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

AzadondoSILVER Member
journeyman
59 posts

Posted:
So when the wick itself actually burns, it turns white? Is this correct? And anything black is soot or a bit scorched or what?

Thanks for the responses everybody, they have been helpful.