Forums > Videos > Staff Video! Watch and Comment!

Login/Join to Participate

=Flamer=member
192 posts

Posted:
This is my first video. Filmed and Edited by myself, not great quality but its okay I suppose. Was filmed last night and edited in about 2 hours. I've only been spinning fire staff for around 2 months max now (staff overall for about 2 years, so I suppose I dont have much excuse).. anyway enough the explination and excuses.. here's the link:

https://www.southportskatepark.com/firestaff/Firestaff.wmv

Right Click and click "Save As"

Comments would be much appriciated biggrin!

Laters,

Andy

P.S. I hope the edit is okay.. or I studied video production for 2 years for nothing ubblol

EDITED_BY: Andyindy (1124065818)

Fire Staff £27, Paraffin £10... setting yourself alight, Priceless!

=Flamer=member
192 posts

Posted:
Someone please comment on my video. I want to know what you think of my technique! biggrin

Laters,
Andy

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Couple of points your light levels are a bit low redface it is nice to actually see what you are doing.
also may be a different location would be good something with a bit of light in the background gives the shot a bit more interest instead of just a couple of spinning lights. smile

On the spinning side try moving round more move with your staff turn with it. I noticed you don’t do any contact ("learn" the variety is amazing wink) but you can do all the basics non contact moves.

try not to repeat the same move for more than one or rotations move from move to move it again ads variety. Try some long arm movements it moves the circle round a bit less boring I also noticed on your throws that if you throw it a little higher (not much) and get an extra half rotation and catch it a tad earlier it would look a lot smother. smile

I'm sorry if this all sounds overly critical redface (you did ask) just iv seen hundreds of spinning vid's and kind of know what I like to see now. rolleyes

You show great potential keep at it man hug over all I liked the vid jus a bit repetitive wink

Others may think difernt (this is just my opinion and I'm crap at staff ubblol)

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

=Flamer=member
192 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the comment biggrin much appriciated. It's the only way I'll improve. The light levels arnt something I can alter cause I used my digital camera so the actual filming is a bit dodgy due to that.

Thanks again,
Andy

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
Have just watched your vid . . .
I have yet to make a little vid of my own so my hat is off to you and congrats on having the confidence to put it out after only 2 months fire spinning. hug

Though my staff spinning is also limited, I do agree in the most part with minty.

Your spinning, what you do is good and the circles are always nice and uniform, maybe some more height in the throws so that you don't look like you are having to dive down grab it before it reaches the ground.

Also contact staff opens up a vast range of options for you And if you haven't seen/don't know contact staff yet then you are in for a treat...

Good luck with future projects , will be waiting for the next vid...

all the best

Matty B

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
In fact agree with minty would have been a better comment . .

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
like I said I'm crap at staff but I just found this clip of me just to show how moving round makes a lot of difference and what that extra height adds to your throws.

the link is coming soon as its uploaded hope you get it Andy before the link runs out

link 1

link 2

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Hey Andy,

came here to say pretty much what mint sauce has already put! rolleyes

Your staff - is smooth (what you do) , but definatley start moving around more - footwork is all important for staff, use it smile

You have the basics down but seem to be stuck in "those patterns" - i know what its like, move block i call it, doing the same thing over and over. Look into the world of contact and this will go hand in hand with teaching yourself how to move with a stick and will open up many more moves for you to add to your spin smile

Thanks for posting, sorry it took so long to reply cool

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Yep..I agree with the knowledgeables above me...on the positive, nice use of you foot was a nice little difference wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

=Flamer=member
192 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the comments everyone. biggrin Exactly what I need to kick my butt into gear and start progressing ahead. Keep em coming.

Thanks,
Andy

ilovethefireSILVER Member
53 posts

Posted:
hey dude, i aslo agree with others who have typed before me. all looks good.
havent put any of my vids up here yet but will do in the next month. try doing some vertical moves, neck roles, helicopters, palm roles, all things like that really break up the fig 8s and give it some thing special..
i love the move at the start of the lessons on here, where u just do a rotation with the staff, do a few of those then in2 the fig 8's

hope to see more vids soon and will post some of mine up when i have time

may we 4ever spin

May we4ever spin4ever