Sammi...GOLD Member
5 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone I'm new to this site and to this amazing sport (or art?). (I just started doing this last week...and I'm LOVING it!)

I've just bought a pair of sock poi from here and just having a silly problem...what is the best way to hold them in my hands??? I also find them very different compare to my "home-made" rugby sock poi...they're a lot lighter to swing...

I also bought 2 LED light stick with string from here... yes... I'm having the same problem with those...too light and I dont know how to hold them properly without the handles...

Please help...

"Self-confidence forms the bridge between capabilities and action"
(Hollenbeck, 1991)

"What do you think about that Gary?"
"Meeow..."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
just hold them in any way that feels comfortable, there is no official way. If weight is an issue, think of things you could attach to the ends to bring the weight up (without pain, ie not nails/broken glass etc)

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hi and welcome!

Most people tie a series of knots in the top of the sock poi to give extra grip, anything from one to three in a row. Then just hold on. If you find your hands are becoming strained from gripping, you may find it helpful to wrap them aound your fingers. Also you may find the sock poi from here too strechy to do certain moves when you become more advanced. Good Luck!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SleepNowInTheFirenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
hey pricklyleaf! My name is Al, Im tryin to get in contact with spinners from scotland! preferably the glasgow area! to swap some moves and talk poi in general coz its like Im the only frikin poi boi in this damn country! Also Im makin a dvd and would like some other spinners in it! so would be koool if ya got in touch! send me a PM if iu want! Have a kool day anyway!

and if there are any scottish spinners outhere readin this pm SLEEPNOWINTHEFIRE!

LUV LOTS LIKE VODKA SHOTS!

are you taking over?
or are you taking orders?
are you going backwards?
or are you going forwards?

Sammi...GOLD Member
5 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys!!!

Yeah I do find the sock poi a bit too strechy but they sort of work for me at the moment (hitting my head occassionally...)

I got my sister interested in fire poi too and she learns pretty fast-:)

"Self-confidence forms the bridge between capabilities and action"
(Hollenbeck, 1991)

"What do you think about that Gary?"
"Meeow..."

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
Written by: flid

think of things you could attach to the ends to bring the weight up (without pain, ie not nails/broken glass etc)

ubblol

yep, just change things around, and see how they suit you - there's no official way as written, just remember to have fun! hug

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I've always found that broken glass has great weight to it.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: sparkey!

I've always found that broken glass has great weight to it.

ubblol

Morning Stars can also be fun...

Non-Https Image Link

Willy - is bad for your health...