Forums > Technical Discussion > Trying to locate UV lighting

Login/Join to Participate

Chi_StaffSILVER Member
35 posts

Posted:
Hey, i really enjoy spinning my fat mouse and cobra poi, and whilst spinning my LED's is great fun, when it gets dark and u cant see he tails anymore i always get thinking about UV lighting. HoP shop sells a tiny little UV torch thing for applying body paint and hunting scorpions but i dont know if it would be big enough to illuminate a spinner?small group of spinners. can anybody help me with where i can get UV lighting that can cover a decent area?(a few square metres)

Cheers guys

weavesmiley

Whatever it is, If it makes you happy and you're not hurting anybody then you are making the world a better place.

The world always looks nicer when you're spinning.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
it depends if you want indoor or out outdoor mate, you can buy a UV Canon which is incredibly nice but costs a lot and weighs a ton, a cost effective way but you may need a few since the area they cover isnt huge if its a big room is a UV Blacklight lots of places sell them like Argos

they look like this

Non-Https Image Link

im trying to find a bigger one cos i have that one and im trying to find a 48 inch one, if u have any luck inf inding a big one can you let me know

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hey will,

i get mine from maplin.

this tube will fit in any flourescent light fitting with a starter: 4ft uv tube.

alternatively, if you just want to spin uv stuff in your bedroom, you could get one of these.

smile

cole. x

[this thread should be moved to technical maybe?]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
thanks for those links cole they'er great and very cheap, could fit one in using spare starter and fittings from our fish tanks. Just need to find a room now...

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Hmm well can you buy UV bulbs in different sizes? My dad has one of these Recharchable Halogen Spotlights (wich are just chunky yellow torches with the power of 3,000,000 candles) maaaaybie you could replace the bulbs in these for UV? Or perhaps theres a speacial paint or something you can dip a bulb into to get UV (no idea how UV works)

You could put three torches on the ground and point them upwards toward you and get bathed in UV light perhaps? Three of these torches should be enough (mnaybie even two there very strong when fully charged) or any other kind of powerful torch perhaps if you can find a bulb the right size to replace them.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
My kind of topic biggrin

try these...

A big one
(these things are awesome but slightly power hungry)

You'll have to sift through but there's some portable ones on ebay
(dont know how good they are though)

Theres a few smallish ones here
(For home use probably just the UV bulb from here is best stuck in a normal lamp)

Hope that helps - If what you are looking for is not there let me know - I'll have a word with some lighting people and see what they advise.

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
aaah the mighty kannon *drool*

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*looks smugly at his UV cannon*

wink

So pretty...

(Although they're not great if you're an insect lover...)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude