Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Simple explanation of wraist wraps?

Login/Join to Participate

SassfireGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
Ok...im kinda new to poi twirling (though I can pretty much do everything in the HOP lessons except the Behind Back weave) and ive been looking at different threads and tring to understand what all these moves are that people mention. I have done a search but I could not find a SIMPLE answer to what the basics movements of a wraistwrap are. Anyone can help? (A link to a video of one would be good too so i could visualise it?)

By the way...Hi everyone! wave
After reading many threads all i can say is that i have a lot learn!

Burn like a good bonfire.

Puresockaddict
406 posts

Posted:
The video that Orbit posted halfway down this thread is very very helpful when trying to understand what waistwraps really are.

[Old link]

And read this:
[Old link]

It's a real, real pain to describe without using lots of complex terms. See if those threads help - I'll have a read through them and see if I can describe it better and post it if I can.

"Take that, math!"

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
There are different versions of the waistwrap, the most basic ones (but not nessacarily easy!) are the half waist wrap, the behind the back (BTB) half waist wrap and the full waist wrap. They look like the poi are pivoting around your waist whilst in the wall plane. A beginner can probably achieve the half waistwrap, but you can only do the other two if you are able to dislocate your sholders and stick your arms on at funny angles! wink.

The half waist wrap consists of;

2 beat weave forwards
weave turn (non-turning turn)
2 beat weave backwards
carry turn

you do it by;

do a normal two beat weave with your left hand crossing over your right.
turn your feet and head 90 degrees to the right, keeping your torso and poi facing in the same direction, so the poi are now in the wall plane.
crossing your left over your right do a weave turn keeping your haed and feet in the same position but turning your torso 180 degrees to the right.
You should now be doing a backwards 2 beat weave to your left side with your feet and head still facing forwards.
In the same way do a carry 'turn' moving your poi above you and back into your first position.

You carry on moving in this pattern but reduce the number of beats in the 2 beat weaves until the waistwrap is always moving straight from one side to the other.

Hope that helps!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Anna Jillings' club swinging book has a good description of how to do a waist wrap, including pictures.

As luck would have it, the book's online here. The waist wrap is in lesson 17.

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

SassfireGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
Hey prickly leaf..that was really good clear explanation . It made sense i just have to now physically try with the poi and work it out. Just a quick question...what do you mean by a carry turn back to the original position?
ubbidea

Burn like a good bonfire.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
There's also an old thread devoted to waistwraps, in which there are many a good explanation...

All you need is to do a Durbs...

smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
A carry is where you swing your poi from one postion into the next in the simplest way possible. So in this instance, when your hands have moved over to the backwards two beat weave position, when your left hand has done one circle behind your right hip, swing the poi up in an arch past your head ending by your right side, your right hand follows the left one half a beat behind so you end up back in two beat weave forwards.

The best book to get for poi spinning is Michal Kahn's book (called poi spinning). I dfefinately recommend it, it goes further than the lessons on here and explains how to do the full waist wrap and other moves.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson