Page:
_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
eek

Bad news.

Tainted/Colleen, one of our Belfast fire dancers, wasn't feeling very well last night and was having trouble catching breath.

She went to the hospital today to be told she has a bloodclot on her right lung. Apparently, not very much air is getting through.

She's ok and is taking tablets (and doesn't have to stay in hospital), but it's most definitely not good.

This thread is for two reasons... firstly, to let you all know the lady isn't well so you can send your love and positive thoughts for her healing. hug

Secondly, to ask our resident doctor if he has any advice (or advice from anyone who has experienced something similar)?!! (Thanks in advance x)

Colleen smokes and plays with fire. She's also been travelling lots recently (and camping in the rain). The doctors seem to think it may be a combination of these factors.

Muh frown

Thanks everyone xx

Getting to the other side smile

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Best wishes on a speedy recovery

Mr. Chutney, I'd talk to a doctor about that pain in your right calf. I had (have) the same thing and found physical exertion only made it worse but in typical male fashion,,I tried to ignore it, for about a year.

Two weeks ago, I had a thing called a doppler flow test, which is basically an ultrasound of your circulatory system,,,and guess what,,,blood clot. Now I HAVE to quit smoking, and take baby aspirin daily.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Birgit

I've been told that if you fly, especially if you're in a risk group, taking an aspirin a day before is a bit of a precaution because that also reduces the ability of your blood to clot. (Please Doc or others correct me if that's wrong! Makes sense to me knowing how aspirin works, but it might be just a rumour!) Also, wearing supportive socks/stockings, even if it looks silly, can help.

According to the literature I've read, aspirin *SLIGHTLY* reduces the risk. Really, it's not worth it. The risk of a GI bleed or stroke is greater on aspirin (and that's a teensy increase) than the reduction of risk of DVT (to emphasize how teensy the decrease is), so it is not recommended.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Loves the Circus

A few questions

What 'immediate' precautionary measures are best to take? Such as that Aspirin thing mentioned before?

What do those anti embolism stockings actually do? How do they prevent blood clots?

Anti-embolism stockings prevent clots by helping fluid to move out of the legs, preventing stasis of the blood. They wouldn't help a young, otherwise healthy person.

As for when she can light back up, that's a question to ask her doctor.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Well I can light up my toys anytime I want... bounce but as for smoking, its a no - go area (not that Im bothered as i havent even got a craving). Just been to the hospital today to get my injection in my tummy (it stung like a bugger ubbcrying) but the scan showed that it was no bigger so thats good, the treatment seems to be working smile
hug hug hug hug hug hug to stout

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

doctor_fandangoGOLD Member
co-director of A.C.B.I.S.H.A.
761 posts
Location: in the corner beside the filing cabinets, 2nd floo...

Posted:
GLORIOUS NEWS CHICKEN!! GREAT TO HAVE YOU FIGHTINGH FIT AGAIN

There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1, There's no place like 127.0.0.1,

"in most of our friends we're the hippies. but we have hippie friends of our own.. its like a dog having its own pet" - H. Sinoquet 19-03-2005

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
kiss

hug2

From moi.

CloudscapeSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
Hey Colleen, I've just found this thresd - hope you get well soon and we see you down south for a spinny session before too long.

All the best,

Darrell

Remember what the doormouse said

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
its away at last i have the alll clear bounce2 bounce hug

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Good news smile Glad to hear it biggrin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

Page: