marthaMember
37 posts

Posted:
last nite i went to a circus, i had never been before. While watching i decide that i would like to apply for a place doing poi (they didnt have anyone doing poi). The problem is that i dont no how to word this letter so it doesnt sound to pushy. Has anyone got any tips to help me? rolleyes

ill tell you again, just buy a new one.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Be polite and direct.

Explain that you watched their show, were impressed, and wanted to know if you could join their crew.

Ask them for a trial or if you could do a show for them - they will need to see that your standard is high enough.

But most importantly, really think if this is what you want. Joining the circus is a difficult, tiring job... especially if it's a travelling one.

Good luck biggrin

hug

Getting to the other side smile

Blasphemous GirlSILVER Member
83 posts

Posted:
ok just my opinion but .........pushy is good (well within reason)

you have to kinda sell your self to them

they probably get lots of letters so make yours stand out (but still look professional ish) maybe use some coloured text here and there, different font styles, maybe some pictures of you doing poi - something to make you look different from the rest.

sound enthusiastic, let them know what experience you have and how great you are and how their circus will be soooo much better with you in it !

hope this is some help
good luck
let us know how you get on

ubbrollsmile

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
EEk no lol, dont use different font colour or font types if your typing your letter to them, it will probably look cheap and childish. Ide suggest typeing a letter out inr egular time new roman, and then writting a letter and see wich looks better, the neat standard proffesional typed letter, or the unique and more personal hand wirrtten letter. Remember to write exactly the same things in each so you are not drawn to the better wording of one of the two.

I agree with blasph.... incude some photos on you spinning and deffinatly affor a demonstration, if they like it and give you a chance to show them remeber to work on a nice looking routine for them because if you make it up as you go along you will get nervouse and wont peform your best. If you have different types of poi (tailed, UV, fire) bring them along and show them the different types and tell them a little about poi if you thy ask.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

marthaMember
37 posts

Posted:
thanks for the advise i will keep you posted on what happens hug

ill tell you again, just buy a new one.

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Have to agree with Brit_Joe, I used to work for a career advisory company and writing a letter or your resume in a different colour font is very unprofessional and will make you look like a joke.

DeepSoulSheepGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,617 posts

Posted:
Sell yourself. Know your strengths and don't be afraid to state them! Make them want you without sounding OTT.

Good luck!

I live in a world of infinite possibilities.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Ott is amazing and i'm gonna see him play live this year!!!!! woooo!
send a video. promoters want to see too.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Blasphemous GirlSILVER Member
83 posts

Posted:
Ohhh found this on the net thought it might help…….

Here are a few tips that will add polish, professionalism and pizzazz to your job application letters
Design – use white space to create a streamlined, eye-pleasing format and enhance your message
Font – keep to one typeface with subtle colour highlights to emphasise important information, make it easier to read and keep the reader riveted to the page
Subheadings – break up heavy text into sub-headings to improve readability, add interest and variety
Skill match - make it clear at first glance that your qualifications and experience match the job profile
Evidence – borrow one or two ‘achievements’ from your CV resume to encourage the reader to look at your CV resume in greater detail
Content – avoid complex material and keep to the point to sustain the interest of even the most avid skim reader
Language – keep it easy to understand – don’t include jargon and avoid sloppy punctuation
Remember, if recruiter’s take 15 to 20 seconds to scan your CV, they’ll take even less time to read your application letter

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
just a quick Q, mainly to FenixFire and Brit_Joe, regarding Resumes/cover letters.

I have a resume, it's done in a table format, and in a medium/dark blue. would you say thats a good idea or not. It's a pro forma i got from school, and i figured that the blue would be a little different without being too outlandish. good, bad or indifferent, you think?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I would go for black myself, just to be sure colours and resume's dont mix it will allways look unprofesional

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
fair enough. Cheers for that smile

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie