Page: 12345
linden rathen
linden rathen

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 6942
Posted:id like to say that this **is** a reaction to various posts on social chat, and would like to voice my opinion here in as an adult manner as i can manage

firstly i fail (slightly) to see many of the arguments against post whoring - the bandwidth argument especailly correct me if im wrong but ultimatly the bandwidth for the actual forums will not be exessivly affected by the addition of a post - even several 1000 posts - i mean whats the size of a post? a matter of Kb if that even 1000 of those is only 10Mb and while i know there are several hundred thousand posts that still does not even begin to touch the kind of bandwidth a site like this runs on.

on a similar vein arguing that pm's should be used will not save bandwidth - the messages are still stored though pm's should be used for other reasons - such as basically personal conversations

i agree that repeated posting is a waste of space and makes many threads unreadable - although i am guilty of doing this on occasion - so does having ream upon ream of people exactly the same thing

its often said that post whores take up a lot of the bandwidth space *but* as far as i can see at least they tend to say something new. so many otherwise interesting discussions and topics get flooded by people repeating the same points.

and i release im probably going to get accused of flamming for this. accused of being an idiot but seriously - how much damage does a silly thread do? ok threads started for the hell of having a thread are a waste, so tell a mod and have it deleted. but dont just yell at people who post a lot. try making a thread and then keep people on topic - its not just the mods who can moderate a forum - if you have one keep the conversation going and change the direction

but if you have a forum called social chat - dont you think people will?

ok so thats the end of this and i know it sounds like a rant so please take whats said with a pinch of salt and not as a personal insult

also any PM's asking for this to me removed etc (or just general insults) please head - post whore - so i know and for my own amusment

finally where do you fall?

back

Delete Topic

Sethis
Sethis

Pooh-Bah
Total posts: 1762
Posted:Well, in my experience, HoP is one of the most "communal" sites on the ether. People really seem to like other people they've never met. Everyone is friendly (mostly) and arguments are polite and (mostly) short lived.

This is SO much better than other sites out there. There are sites I belong to that have a debate thread that goes something like "WTF are you thinking you censored head? That mothercensored point you just said is absolute censored". This I hate.

If it takes a few random and silly threads to keep this atmosphere, then I'm happy to let them exist. However I think that there should be a move to segregate pointless threads and games from actual posts. The seperation of "chat" and "discussion" is great, and I think it works well.

I just think that it's great to come online and have a site so full of people who care about each other, even if their only correspondence is over the internet.

peace

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Delete

Mint Sauce
veteran
Total posts: 1453
Posted:I love all you guys lest not fight any more grouphug

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Delete

bender
still can't believe it's not butter
Total posts: 6979
Posted:i don't envy your task, oh she who flashes the fire!

i think Shakespeare said it best with:

"O for what a job 'tis to be Moderator,
to be seen as fair, to have hands of evendedness,
How must ye balance impartiality with spam-smiting?

A task immeasurable in scope for so few,
The only solace permitt'd
is so many crunch'd frogs."

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Delete

flash fire
flash fire

Sporadically Prodigal
Total posts: 2758
Posted:Written by: bender

i don't envy your task, oh she who flashes the fire!

i think Shakespeare said it best with:

"O for what a job 'tis to be Moderator,
to be seen as fair, to have hands of evendedness,
How must ye balance impartiality with spam-smiting?

A task immeasurable in scope for so few,
The only solace permitt'd
is so many crunch'd frogs."

ubbrollsmile A sonnet, all for me!? *raises hand to forehead in a gush of feminine bashfulness*

Yep - it's a hard task indeed. Fortunately HOP is populated by so many wonderful and helpful members that it's not nearly as difficult as it could be smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Delete

Doc Lightning
Doc Lightning

HOP Mad Doctor
Total posts: 13920
Posted:Besides, FF, you look so darned sexy in that moderator's uniform!

*wipes some brown off his nose*

ubbangel

-Mike )'(
Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

"A buckuht 'n a hooze!" -Valura

Delete

clarence_quack
clarence_quack

QuackerJack
Total posts: 1927
Posted:as a former post whore, and even being guilty of creating a post whore thread in social chat, i feel the need to put in my two cents worth. posting randomly and repeatedly in a forum such as 'social chat' may be unavoidable in a lare and happy forfum such as HoP, but it should be avoided. im all for the deletion of posts and threads but it has to be within reason. ive noticed many threads with the same topic in action at the same time (i just lost the game is under about 7 different topics), which irritates me immensely, and ive begun to avoid the social chat altogether. a 'three strikes and you're out' policy may be helpful in encouraging people to stick to the rules of the forum, but some people will continue to ignore them, reguardless of the consequences.

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

Delete

TinklePants
TinklePants

Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
Total posts: 4217
Posted:I've not been a member for long, and even though I post some rubbish, not all of my posts are nonsense, and I didn't realise it was such an issue til now!

It's quite difficult to get involved in the spinning community when you're so far from the other enthusiasts, just the actual time it takes to get to the nearest town/city where there's a meet is at least 3 hours away and not being able to travel due to family committments (and no car) is also a major hinderance.
I'm well known for talking utter poop offline, and I apologise for regurgitating my evil online too. I used to use WAP (wireless application protacol, you know - a smaller version of the web for your mobile phone) forums alot when I had no internet access (i.e. a pc), and silly posts became a habit of mine. Yes there's pretty large communities accessible via your mobile believe it or not!

I promise I'll restrain myself from now on *bats my lashes*, and try to write longer, more constructive posts, instead of short crappy ones, and maybe reserving necessary nonsense for my introduction thead. (if it has to be said, it will be said there!)

As for removing post counts, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest! smile

Stay happy, HoPpy ppl! ubblove ubblove ubblove

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Delete

PyroWill
PyroWill

HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
Total posts: 4437
Posted:I hope the newer members of thos forum dont take some of the stuff what we have said too far, we dont mind short crappy posts, often its those ones that help keep this community the great atmosphere what it is so please kids dont stop doing that! We have only got fed up cos lately, say especially the last 2 months it has got out of hand and is pretty much constant and in vast numbers, so dont stop all together, we dont want to see you disappearing into the void, we just want you to slow down and think before you press the submit button smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Delete

TinklePants
TinklePants

Posted:ummm is it because of me??

I joined at the start of july - nearly two months ago.
(yes I really thought I was being blamed indirectly last night! Late nights make me paranoid!)

eeeep dont point the finger at me ubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Delete

PyroWill
PyroWill

Posted:I have a few names in my head tinkelpants as do a few others who ive spoken to and no you havent come into my mind smile your avatar makes me laugh muchly smile

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

Delete

Mynci
Mynci

Macaque of all trades
Total posts: 8737
Posted:again I apologise will...been a very bad post whore since i started but partly due to trying to get to know people far and wide and very bored at work.
If i had known how much it irked people I would have slowed down.
I admit I started very few threads but did help prolong some that should have died a quicker death. redface

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Delete

TinklePants
TinklePants

Posted:KILL MYNCI'S THREADS! RAAR RAAR RAAR! ubblol

*chases mynci with a torch and paraffin*

I'll get you my pretty!

*fireball* ubblol

Seriously though, most of us are to blame!

Delete

PyroWill
PyroWill

Posted:No one is blaming you Mynci and dont think what i said was intended for you.

Please dont apologise to me, apologies not needed

Delete

yoni
yoni

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3099
Posted:well i know it was intended for me so i will apologise again and also apologise but cutting down on posts

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog
Internet Hate Machine
Total posts: 10530
Posted:Me sorry.

I have a huge finger over my head methinks....

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

PyroWill
PyroWill

Posted:I regret saying that cos now ppl are wondering is it them, if you believe you are guilty of doing it then i guess you are, im someone who has been really annoyed by post whores so sorry if i come up a bit brash but thats just cos this is a sensitive situation for me. I will not publicly name anyone, i guess you guys know who you are

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog
Internet Hate Machine
Posted:Heh

Another thing that gets me is what can only be described as "try hard randoms" (dont get me wrong, some people have it down to an art form and always make me laugh *salutes sparkey*).

You know the type, those who just go out of their way to be as stupid and (IMO) as unfunny and unwitty as possible.

Bah, its muchly annoying, no?

EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1124735028)

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Delete

linden rathen
linden rathen

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:hee hee smile tis very good to see this thread is still actualyl moving along and that people are being honest and nice about it all

and yes i would agree w/ FRD about forced sillyness

but interestingly we have nearly as many confesed whores as non whores hmmmmm smile

and i think it is true about 'conversations' these will occur as people get bored at work etc

though as i said earlier this will probably go down in about 2 weeks as people go back to school (i think im right in saying that a LOT of the people who post regularly are in the UK and go to school college or uni)

back

Delete

Durbs
Durbs

Classically British
Total posts: 5688
Posted:Kids...
rolleyes

wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Delete

Fine_Rabid_Dog
Internet Hate Machine
Posted:Written by: linden rathen

though as i said earlier this will probably go down in about 2 weeks as people go back to school (i think im right in saying that a LOT of the people who post regularly are in the UK and go to school college or uni)

ubblol

Hahahahahahaha.

Wrong Mr Sam biggrin

Most of my posts were made at school.

But then again, Im probably the only school HoPper who boards (part from my brother and Stainless Munchkin, but they go to the same school as me shrug )

Delete

linden rathen
linden rathen

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:yea - i cant really get on here as much when i was @ school though who knows how much ill be on here @ uni

back

Delete

blu_valley
blu_valley

fluffy mess
Total posts: 197
Posted:I access HOP from work,intense boredness and free access = postwhore blu. But its starting to get better already no? All confessed postwhores so far have curbed the addiction as far as I can see. smile

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Delete

linden rathen
linden rathen

Carpal \'Tunnel
Posted:*wonders if we should set up pwa Post Whores Anaominous

back

Delete

_Aime_
_Aime_

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 4172
Posted:Gaaaaaargh!
Even after all this hype and everything people are still creating pointless yucky really stupid censored threads.
'some 1 talk 2 me'
DON'T DO IT!

frown

Delete

UCOF
UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:I believe that person who started that on was/ is new.
Thats one of the problems I think there is by not having post count displayed. I used to look at the number of posts and if it was a small number, its much nicer, to be nice as they didnt know better.I believe iIt WILL keep happening because of new people coming to the site and starting pointless threads as they dont know it has gone on before. smile

Delete

yoni
yoni

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3099
Posted:also that one was stoped after few posts pointing out the problem so it normally gets resolved quickly now. and the problem is much better than it was a couple of weeks ago

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Delete

strugz
strugz

Carpal \'Tunnel
Total posts: 3964
Posted:Ok so i think im a bit slow on the uptake here - i first saw this thread and thought - "what i s a post whore" new special service from Royal Mail or something?

Lets have a look then! ubblol

Then i realise its a serious discussion - one that ive been reading now for bloody ages it seems (better get some work done in a minute wink)

Anyhow - my few pence is - to be honest the top of the forum main page is somewhere i dont venture much at all - ive only recently been hitting the intro threads because i want to say hello to many of my freinds, now and again ive gone into the social chat and taken part in the whole sillyness threads, but that was because of boredom and they are threadfs you dont even have to think about answering - azny old censored usually fits ubblol

Ive been around here since early 2002, my post count has slowly cralwed up, but its not even 2000 yet, mainly because i only post when i have something to tell you guys........... most other posts i put are in events ./ gatherings, to be fair thats where i spend most of my time - organising spinners (surprised my post count isnt higher in that repesct wink)

Meeting up with all you guys is the best way to do stupid things and talk random censored i mean, go to falmouth, play, spitz, guildford, southampton and chat to the nutty locals you are gaurenteed to have hours of fun rambling amoungst the spinning smile ubblol

Mynci - you are a whore, for sure, but then i knew that before you joined wink ubblol

Post whoring is all news to me, it passed me by really as i just never really looked into the chat forums that deeply, maily because they were full of the same old stuff everytime i looked at the first page................

Tiz kind of ironic that newbies feel put of by people with lots of posts and people with lots of posts get put of by newbies rambling about life and its sillyness........ rolleyes

I dont know - as usual im on the fence on this one, (safest place to be wink) comfy seat to, much better than the muddy patches either side, oh look and from up here i can see into Jonny UCOF's back garden, oh he had his special purple pants on the line again rolleyes ubblol

Your all great, either way smile

hug

especially Jon wink

*passes dooby*

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

Delete

GothFrogette
GothFrogette

grumpy poorly froggy
Total posts: 3999
Posted:wow the first time back on the boards due to the annoying post whoring threads to find this one ubblol

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Delete

Matty_B
Matty_B

veteran
Total posts: 1314
Posted:is it me or has the number of posts thingy disappeared now . . .?

Delete

GothFrogette
GothFrogette

grumpy poorly froggy
Total posts: 3999
Posted:nope its not just you, i heard it was to stop the post whoring

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Delete

Page: 12345