• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 200.00 credit to your HoP account.

entheogen
entheogen

Total posts: 173
Posted:I want to purchase a fire-proof cloth to smother out props when they no longer need to be used in the number but are still burning.

I know a wet towel also does the job, but I thought a fire blanket for traveling purposes is more practical.

I'm not sure, but I think the fire blanket that HOP sells is one of those one time, emergency deals. Im wondering if anyone knows for sure if all the fiber glass based products of this kind are reusable or are made to be used once and then thrown away.

So far I've found one wool based fireproof blanket at
www.safety-depot.com

Its about a square meter and costs $120. Is there anyone out there with experience and advice on this matter? Or maybe an idea of where to get one cheaper?

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

Delete Topic

UCOF
UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:As far as I know, you can use a fire blanket over and over and over and over.

smile

Delete

marco
enthusiast
Total posts: 327
Posted:The problem your going to find with fabric / fibre based fire blankets is one of fuel take up, in essence the blanket eventually carries enough fuel to become combustable, while this usually is not a problem, sloppy usage of a fire blanket with residual fuel content has the potential to ignite, can't say I've had this problem myself, but I've seen it happen a few times.

Moving on, I routinely use the same fire blanket to teach fire safety, tool extinguishing etc, I tend to replace it several times yearly, when I'm unhappy about the amount of fuel take up. I pay around 19 GBP for marine rated fire blankets, kitemarked etc.

I should add, I have two, one gets used on tools, and other fire safety aspects, and the other is unused, should that incident involving a performer ever happen. They get rotated, the one used on tools gets disposed of, and the replacement becomes the one to used on peeps.

mark

EDITED_BY: marco (1123766833)

Delete

Malcolm
Malcolm

HOP admin
Total posts: 992
Posted:A slightly damp cotton towel is all that you will need for putting out tools.

The fire blanket we sell is only for using on a person who has become a human torch. Small fires on a person can be brushed off with a cotton towel.

The fire blanket we have is very special as it has no fluff (very smooth) on the surface and will not stick easily to a badly burning person.

"May your balls always burn"

Delete

marco
enthusiast
Total posts: 327
Posted:
Yep, appears to be the same type I use.

mark

Delete

Birgit
Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
Total posts: 4145
Posted:you can get fire blankets at diy shops, try Obi or Hornbach smile 120 $ seems quite expensive.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete