Forums > Social Discussion > Queer Aisle For The Straight Guy

Login/Join to Participate

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
Bill Dalrymple, 56, and best friend Bryan Pinn, 65, have decided to take the plunge and try out the new same-sex marriage legislation with a twist -- they're straight men.

The reason for the marriage? Tax benefits.

Story Link

I know there's been plenty said on this forum concerning gay rights, but I think this adds to the debate in a very unique way. Is this abuse of a new law? Anyone familiar with the 14th Amendment? Two words: Equal Protection.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I agree, it's a hoot. They will be hard pressed to find loving women, so I hope the tax benefits keep them warm at night.

I think they are in the wrong, doing it as a kind of protest. What do they care if this effects tax benefits? Straight couples get them, so should gays.

And that constitution only applies to the U.S....they are getting married in Canada wink tongue

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i wonder what happens to the assets if they have to get divorsed because one of them meets someone who they actually want to marry

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Written by: ben-ja-men

i wonder what happens to the assets if they have to get divorsed because one of them meets someone who they actually want to marry

At 65 and 56, i think they're a bit over the hill.

This is almost as funny as those 16 year olds who get pregnant so they can claim the baby bonus fund.

mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
a lot of people enter hetro marriages for the benefits rather than love. i have no problem with gay people entering a hetrosexual marriage for the social (or whatever) benefits it provides, and also no problem with hetro people entering a homosexual relationship for the financial benefits.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Inasmuch as marriage is a social institution, they can marry for benefits! I'm not really thrilled by marriage *being* a social institution, but certainly if it is its silly to hold it to other standards.

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
offtopic

Just wanted to say, I know you didn't come up with it Prometheus, but that's a great headline biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
lol thats a terrible thing to do, marriage shouldnt be about 'benifits' or getting something out of it, if someone asked me to marry them and I said why and they said 'oh because if we do this will happen and we will get this' Ide tell them to do a running jump,

Its a fancy day to show the other person you love them, if its treated as a way to get something then its just an insult.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
This is an absolute censored outrage!!!!!!!!

For absolute years the gay community has protested and protested to have this legislation brought in, the right to marry someone we love under law.

Up until now gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people have been discriminated against by not being allowed to marry the one they love. For some couples who choose to co-habit they had no rights. When a partner left, or passed away, the other had no rights to property/capital/finance that was shared. If a straight couple live together for 6months in this country, if a separation occurs both individuals are owed half of everything.

This legislation means that gay, lesbian etc couples can be seen as equals to the straight community, by law and by love. Thousands of people have put their heart and soul into making this real, for us to be given the same opportunities as everyone else in the world. These two Canadian buggers are just rubbing sh*t into the faces of the people who've worked for it.

For gay/lesbian couples getting married isn't about dodging tax, or saving money, its about committing fully to the one we love, something weve been unable to since...forever.

You'll find me on the dance floor

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I don't think anyone was claiming that they were what marriage was about, gay or straight. Does this make all the numerous straight couples who get married for idiotic reasons an affront to heterosexual marriage? If a black man marries a white woman because they've decided it will better their bank account, or drop the car insurance payments, is it an insult to everyone who has worked to get interracial marriages accepted? Its an affront to one idea of marriage- but from a state perspective its all about taxes and properties anyhow. Now, its horrible that gays have been so discriminated againt (still are here, and there's been attempts to change that for years....) but that doesn't change the fact that what they have now is the equivalent (as far as I know!) of straight marriage IN ALL FORMS.... including the stupid, selfish, or generally bizarre ones.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

weeleighlook a rainbow!
237 posts

Posted:
No it isn't. Civil unions aren't the same as marriage. I'm not gonna list all the differences, but you can look them up online if you're really interested. And civil unions are only legal in a few states currently. Even though civil unions are a huge step still, it's the basic "separate but equal" idea which we should know by now doesn't work.

Just thought I'd point that out. I don't really care if they wanna get married or not. That's up to them. Maybe people will try to use it as a reason that we shouldn't have gay marriage, cause some people will "abuse the system", but as people have pointed out, tons of people already do. And besides that, marriage actually tends to help the economy, that's why so many politicians constantly try to keep marriage rates up. So while they might be idiots about it, I don't think it's gonna hurt anything, so let them have their five seconds in the spotlight if they're that desperate.

"Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth."

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Er, thought we were in canada and thius talking about marriage. Sorry!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
People abuse the straight system.

My friend Ethan has been married for almost 10 years now. He's straight, but he and his wife don't live together. They file jointly, of course, because it saves money. The whole point of the marriage is to demonstrate that marriage isn't sacred. Ethan dates, too.

Ethan occasionally wears his wedding ring for special occasions. shrug

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

weeleighlook a rainbow!
237 posts

Posted:
Written by: Kyrian

Er, thought we were in canada and thius talking about marriage. Sorry!

redface Oops, I read what you said as that what "we" have, not "they". Sorry, I think it saw that you were from the states and that confused me. So ignore that. But I stand by my second paragraph. wink

"Happiness is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth."

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
As do I !!!!

Being one of the people who have protested for civil partnerships to be introduced into this country (england) i feel morally outradged by said Canadian men above.

Yes straight, inter-racial people abuse their system all the time, no-one is denying that. But now there abusing our system too!! Nuts to that!!!

You'll find me on the dance floor

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
i think its absolutely disgusting.

there are very few circumstances,where i would forgive people for marrying for benefits,gay or straight.

Call me old fashioned but surely marriage should be about having absolute emotional and financial security with the person you love......not an excuse to screw more money out of the government!?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
What about health insurance?

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

PrometheusDiamond In The Rough
459 posts

Posted:
For some people it's a last resort. Some 50 million people in America don't have health insurance and that number is steadily rising. I could have health and dental (which I desparately need) if I just got married to my girlfriend, a fact she reminds me of every time I get a toothache. Most people have been screwed by the system for so long, these are the choices they are left to make.

Dance like it hurts; Love like you need money; Work like someone is watching.

Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, when you DO criticize them, you are a mile away, and you have their shoes.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Thanks P! Wanted to point it out.... If anyone reads comics, too, todays Real Life Adventures points out another interesting effect... people staying together in bad relationships because of things like money and health insurance. Off topic, I know. But the point I'm trying to make is that there's a lot of other things that get involved in state sponsored marriages....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

weeleighlook a rainbow!
237 posts

Posted:
See, and the health insurance issue is just as sad to me as the fact that America won't just allow same-sex marriages. It should be such an easy thing, and still my girlfriend has never been to an OB-GYN (you're supposed to start going regularly when you turn 18) and won't because she has no insurance and it would cost way too much. She just never goes to the doctor, rarely goes to the dentist, stuff like that.

And her mom who has censored insurance from her job pays basically out of pocket for like, three different heart medications every month and has been refusing to get a hernia operation for about a year now because she can't afford the hospital bills.

And that was a bit offtopic Sorry. But this stuff bothers me a lot.