Page:
JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
The name Google is practically synonymous with the internet. They're by far the biggest search engine, and to many people it's the only search engine. This sort of thing usually bothers me, but despite everything I really like the Google company. The reason for this is simple; they're nice. Google works hard to be as helpful as posible to the user. They're paid for mostly through ads, which they make subtle and never affect their page ranking. They won't accept ads from websites that are anti-anything.

Every day they come out with new gizmos. Albino Blacksheep is convinced that they're making a new web browser, and my money is on them making a new instant messenger. They've effectively cornered the market, making them very difficult to compete with. Nonetheless, they're honestly just out to help internet users. If they wanted to just make a lot of money, they could easily do it, but that would comprimise their high moral standards. They might be taking over the world, but I can't think of a more lovely company to do it.

Anyway, that's my opinion. You folks can talk about what I've been saying or just make this a free-for-all thread about Google, whatever works.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

ZacknasfienBRONZE Member
25 posts

Posted:
Good point. Thats all i can say.

good...................point

weavesmiley

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
yes, I think Google is great and as both an end user and a developer I find what they do amazing.

BUT...I'm watching the situation. I hope Yahoo manage to keep up, and Microsoft, well, I don't care about them. I want the search engine war to go on for as long as possible.

As for a browser? Nah, whats the point? IM? If they want to take on a massive MSN and AIM user base then they could, but I don't think it's the sort of thing they'd do.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sym_

and Microsoft, well, I don't care about them

wink

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I like google too.

They're Gmail is amazing! Really nice and easy to use. Much better than Hotmail.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I doubt google will release a browser.
They have a massive tie-in with Firefox. Now thats been released we should hopefully see the end of microsoft (and msn) on the net soon.
I'm getting about 50/50 traffic through my server using IE and Firefox. Each month the ratio is slowly slipping mozilla's way though biggrin

Google have got a new toy to play with though... https://earth.google.com/
(DO NOT DOWNLOAD TILL YOU'VE READ THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS - There's a very high possibility you wont be able to run it)

They're also developing loads of other new ways of searching including intelligent predictive topics and the long awaited educational searches.

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
Written by:

They have a massive tie-in with Firefox. Now thats been released we should hopefully see the end of microsoft (and msn) on the net soon.

hang on a minute! What tie in are you talking about? MSN arn't going anywhere. Look at the userbase myspace has got, with Windows Vista is it's way MSN and MS will have a load more users browsing the RSS feeds and podcasts they want. Windows is getting more internet based with every (slow) update that MS bring out, so if anything MSN will get much, much bigger.

Seye, what is the subject matter of your site? The stats for the PLAY site show firefox at about 20% and IE at about 50% (With Safari and NetNewsWire 3rd and 4th, Konqueror 5th. Thats Excluding bots)

Sorry if I'm going a bit off topic, but there is a much bigger picture than just Google being great!

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sym_

hang on a minute! What tie in are you talking about? MSN arn't going anywhere. Look at the userbase myspace has got, with Windows Vista is it's way MSN and MS will have a load more users browsing the RSS feeds and podcasts they want. Windows is getting more internet based with every (slow) update that MS bring out, so if anything MSN will get much, much bigger.

Seye, what is the subject matter of your site? The stats for the PLAY site show firefox at about 20% and IE at about 50% (With Safari and NetNewsWire 3rd and 4th, Konqueror 5th. Thats Excluding bots)

Sorry if I'm going a bit off topic, but there is a much bigger picture than just Google being great!

My site is just a way of keeping in touch with friends around the globe. It had abouy 500 unique hits last month (not many granted) but that small sample is the sign of much bigger things. I have noticed recently that the 'spread firefox' logo is appearing everywhere amongst development sites. That means that developers are starting to optimise for firefox and not IE. With the people who know what they are talking about changing over its only a matter of time before the masses follow.

(I am getting a few on opera and safari but they are mac users)

Google actually have a specific start page for Firefox and the google search bar is built into the browser as standard (its customisable so you can add others too).

I for one am starting to think about going over to Apple because I am sick of microsoft and their shoddy 'black box' software. Still though - other than windows you no longer need MS apps at all. There are much better versions out there of everything microsoft sell. Macromedia control the web authoring market, Mozilla are taking the web (I'm reliably informed that thunderbird is brilliant btw), etc.

Those who use MSN, Hotmail and similar rubbish do so because they dont realise that there are better alternatives out there. Gradually people are becomming more aware of alternative software (particularly FREE customisable open source software) and are starting to switch.

As long as MS stuff comes bundled with new PC's it will always have a market share. It is on the decline though. Thank god.

If only Linux was outwardly compatible or Apple would release a PC version of OS...

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Being a mac person....google works, gmail works, no problems (ok so im using mozilla) hotmail is crap on a mac, the scripting wont work if you use safari, MSN messenger disconnects for a past time.

if the google people did bring out a IM platform, it would undoutably be exceptionally good.

on apple releasing a MS compatable os, well as they are switching to intel, im sure there'll be a hack out there somewhere to alow it, within a few months of the release smile

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
I was reading an offical broweser survey the other day about the market share of what browser. Firefox has almost hit 10% of the market, which is massive for its short life. But the other fact is that IE has slipped down to 83-4%. I've convinced about 15-20 people to swap over to firefox. I'm ready to swap others over too.
As for google, they are a great company and they offer alot of services for free because of their "adds". I hardly ever notice the adds. gmail is soooo great with the size of it. i only keep my hotmail account becuase i cbf changing my msn login, and i get all my spam type emails sent there.

Do we sleep when we die?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
On the mozilla website it says that the bbc site had 12% of all its traffic using firefox. I also read that between 12 and 15% of ALL web traffic is now handled by firefox!

Spread the word!

Non-Https Image Link

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Google is a Stanford Company.

That makes them cool. biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
OK well, I have gone on to Firefox more or less on trust of people who seem to know what they are on about... particularly here.. and it seems to work fine. Tabs are good.

But can someone tell me WHY FIrefox implies "taking back the web"

And what is better than MSN (apart from Skype) ( and HoP of course!)
And why is MSN NOT ok? 'politically' or whatever?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
its taking back the web, because people no longer have to make things as to how microsoft wants them by using IE. People can make web sites, server software, forums etc that dont have to comply to IE specs.
it will also start a proper browser war (like netscape did) that will mean more cool features for us, without havign to deal with crap stuff.

Do we sleep when we die?

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Linux is Mac compatible, but its a bit silly as you're running *nearly* the same kernel and OSX offersa wonderful GUI built right in which really is a good bit better than kde or gnome... but i do know someone who runs, i think gentoo on their mac.

My other note being that Microsoft stopped releasing browsers for Mac's a few years ago, so they're obviously aware that they are starting to lose....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: newgabe

And what is better than MSN (apart from Skype) ( and HoP of course!)

And why is MSN NOT ok? 'politically' or whatever?

Everything that you send over an msn chat is recorded to their servers, completely legally, and becomes the property of MSN.

These log files are constantly scanned and if you are in the US info from them can be presented in a court against you.

If you use MSN 'big brother' is watching you all the time.

MSN is also FULL of holes. Pretty much anyone with an ounce of hacking knowledge can access your MSN account and play with it and get access to the logs. Do you want the world to have access to everything you say and all your details?

Traditionally the best messenger to use is ICQ. I dont really know though as I dont fully understand the point of messenger programs. Forums and IRC provide a much better way of communicating over the net in my oppinion. If you use IRC (chat rooms) the best way to access them is through MIRC. It gives you a standard program to access all IRC channels through.

Also I wouldn't touch AOL with a 1000 foot pole (unless the pole was on fire maybe). AOL symbolises everything that is wrong with ISP's to me. It is quite simply "Internet for people who dont know any better". They prey on the fact that people dont know what they are doing and are scared by the stories that they hear. It is by no means as safe as they say it is! Their messenger is just an extension of this.

Oh and its 'taking back the web' because microsoft (illegally according to the US legal system) monopolised the browser market by giving IE away with ALL new PC's.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Seye

I dont fully understand the point of messenger programs. Forums and IRC

I use MSN all the time to communicate with people overseas and interstate.. or even in my own city. I love its immediacy and that I can have a number of people 'on' at a time. I've pretty much arranged and coordinated my girl's 2 month Uk/Europe trip through MSN (and HoP of course!) I'm really glad to know what you say about the MSN database though... Would that be the same with any messenger program??
eg if I got all my contacts to use Skype chat instead?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure - the best thing to do is check the FAQ on the download site for each messenger.

You'd have to check the skype site to find out about theirs though.
I think that ICQ doesn't log though.

Its all to do with weired data protection laws and how much dirt the company want to accumulate on its users that they can then pass on to the relevant authorities for a fee.
In the UK text messages (SMS) are not protected by privacy laws and as such can be subject to the same kind of logs and scanning.

The government are also quietly pushing for email to be exempt from the privacy laws. They can already legally see the 'from', 'to' and 'date & time' tags of all email sent through UK networks. They now want the subject and body to be theirs too.

Invasion of privacy by the people who are meant to protect it is such a massive joke!

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Back to Google itself (I feel we've got a little off topic here)...

The guys who run it definitely have a sense of humour and a political conscience. They put certain articles to the top of the lists so when you hit *I'm feeling lucky* it goes to specific pages. (These are quite often not the pages that the database would generate on its own)

Anyone remember the 'weapons of mass destruction' error page?

For a better idea of what I mean go to Google - put 'Failure' into the search and hit *I'm feeling lucky*.

Enjoy biggrin

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol
Nice one!!

Try the same with idiot.
not political but amusing!

DragonFuryBRONZE Member
Draco Iracundia
784 posts

Posted:
does any one want firefox to run on a usb drive?

Do we sleep when we die?

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I think google's uses are in fact quite limited...I think google is a good verification search engine and one for quick answers, but prefer to use upto 12 other search engines to get the results that are really worthwhile to me.

but I'm a librarian and you'd expect a librarian to say that biggrin

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hooray for firefox - it's crap having to design sites for IE, they don't follow web standards!
unfortunately, most people still use IE, and it's such a waste to have to design css/table layout to be compatible with both....
:weeps profusely:

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Josie-PosieBRONZE Member
82 posts

Posted:
oh you think google are nice and fluffy? Look at this then....

https://www.google-watch.org/

EDITED_BY: Josie-Posie (1123844104)

J-Jmember
41 posts

Posted:
Interesting, to say the least. eek

I'm not sure if it has changed my mind about gmail and google though. Gmail is still the easiest to use email acount or program that I have ever used. And the (effectively) unlimited space is useful.

I also like their sense of humour - the thing Seye mentioned ubblol and their log in page on april fools day. biggrin

Maybe I should be more concerned about privacy and other such issues that that site raised. But at the moment, for me, the convenience and the good points outways the potential downsides. However if anyone could recommend a webmail with all the advantages of gmail but without the tracking and privacy issues, I would seriously consider swapping over.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by" - Douglas Adams

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
LOL! Already using FireFox here! tongue Safari just ain't cutting it.

MSN Messenger really gets me going. Call it good marketing but the way it spread over from Hotmail was ridiculous. I remember when I had to imgrate over from Yahoo! Messenger because all my friends were using MSN because of their Hotmail account. Stuff like winks, webcam, games and nudges were availible on Yahoo! Messenger 3 years ago and MSN Messenger never implemented that until a couple of month back with MSN7. Just shows how a company could use one of their service as a springboard to push an inferior service and overwhelm its competition.

Anyway, here is something very very alarming going on. Amazon.com have been secretly sponsoring an online social community called www.43things.com. 43things.com is basically a social weblog similar to friendster and hi5 but instead of connecting people via actual relations, the site ask users what they would like to acheive and connects them to other users by their aspirations and goals. This mean the website is capable of logging on high volume of data from user who are completely unaware of its connection with Amazon. The danger being that such data could be then used for agressive marketing purposes (eg someone who wants to learn poi could have advert on poi DVD fed to them). This kind of scary actually, its like big brother is swapping his camera for something with a friendlier face.

Further Reading:

https://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2005/02/08/43/index_np.html

https://searchviews.com/archives/2005/02/43_things_amazo.php

https://www.kottke.org/05/02/43-things-amazon-conspiracy

EDITED_BY: Alien_Concept (1123991704)

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Written by: seye

Also I wouldn't touch AOL with a 1000 foot pole (unless the pole was on fire maybe). AOL symbolises everything that is wrong with ISP's to me. It is quite simply "Internet for people who dont know any better". They prey on the fact that people dont know what they are doing and are scared by the stories that they hear. It is by no means as safe as they say it is! Their messenger is just an extension of this.

You can bash AOL all you want and I'll have no problems with that. But, their messenger isn't bad at all. It's not the best in the world, but there's nothing horribly wrong with it. I've noticed that with most IM services people gripe about it saying that they only use it because all their friends do. This is why I wish Google would make one. Providing they do a good job, everybody would flood over to it. Hopefully.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: Seye

Google have got a new toy to play with though... https://earth.google.com/

building a collection of places over on social. only got area 15, white house and gasworks so far but if anyone wants to add more come clicky biggrin

Villet13member
47 posts

Posted:
i love playing with goggle earth...
i can see my house!!! ahhh!

Life is but a DREAM!

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
I called it!

google talk comes out tomorrow.

edit: I just downloaded it, it's lovely. If you've got a gmail, hit me up at cthulhu1254. If not, feel free to pm me for an invite.

www.google.com/talk
EDITED_BY: sparkey! (1124858342)

-James

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Well, I've been playing around with it for a while, and I have to say I'm rather disappointed. It seems to lack some pretty basic features like docking to the edge of your screen, icons, custom links, and eek there's no text formating! Of course, this is the very first beta relese, but I'd have thought it'd at least have the option of making text something other than black on white times new roman.

However, it does have some nice features, like exeptional VoIP, integration with Gmail, and windows that shrink and stack. Overall, I suppose it's pretty nice, but I think for now I'll keep using it through Trillian.

-James

Page: