Page:
dreadsGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
I have only span for a year or so but i have learnt that if you want to progress with your spinning you really have to try or get people to help teach you,that was fine until recently when i bumped into maybe 10-15 or so different spinners who have a major EGO problem! you know the type, always looking down their nose at you because you only have one set of poi, or you can only do 3 beat weave.taking all the credit for performances and then when you try to chat to them or ask to spin with them, lokking at you like they have just stood in dog poop. we all have to start somewhere guys and the only way to get better is to learn, so help your friendly spinner. please dont tell them to (insert 4 letter word of your preffered insult here) off. so please you lot lose the egos they dont help anyone.
does anyone else feel the same?

the dreads will return......
oooh that gave me moosebumps haha...
to be continued

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
ditto well said durbs biggrin

i hate teaching - not because i dont want to (not that i know enough to teach anyway but meh)

i just cant .. which is always depressing when people ask me because i tend to confuse them.. ah well means i dont get asked to teach often tongue

back

SeraphireHoP's Original Smelly-Hippie-Scum-Bag
270 posts

Posted:
I think that the poorest example of a pretentious spinner has to be an example that I've come across again and again. For example. WOMAD 2005, Riverside, a few people we met mentioned a spin further up the river, so we tag along, and some one I met, who had not been spinning for too long, but was feeling on top of the world after picking up some nice moves) was spinning her little socks off, when some one approached her asking for guidance in moves, claiming that he'd just picked up Poi in the Festy, so of course its share knowledge..and he blows her completely out of the water within two minutes. It's just so irritating.

Music gives Soul to the Universe, Wings to the Mind, Flight to the Imagination and Life to Everything.

Educate yourself in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE! hug

dsei.org Stop The Arms Trade!

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Written by: dreads

I have only span for a year or so but i have learnt that if you want to progress with your spinning you really have to try or get people to help teach you,that was fine until recently when i bumped into maybe 10-15 or so different spinners who have a major EGO problem! you know the type, always looking down their nose at you because you only have one set of poi, or you can only do 3 beat weave.taking all the credit for performances and then when you try to chat to them or ask to spin with them, lokking at you like they have just stood in dog poop. we all have to start somewhere guys and the only way to get better is to learn, so help your friendly spinner. please dont tell them to (insert 4 letter word of your preffered insult here) off. so please you lot lose the egos they dont help anyone.
does anyone else feel the same?

Gah that would be so annoying. I guess i'm lucky to have never met a snobby twirler. I don't think you really need someone to teach you though, 99% of the moves i know are ones that i've come up with myself. That way you develop your own style as well and find the moves that flow with you.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
frown

i'm always scared that i'm one of the snotty nosed spinners.

i teach so much and so intensely that when i'm having a self-spin, i just want to spin. is that wrong?

frown

ps. clare: i've a hefty disagreement to have with you about 'basics' but in order to understand my POV you have to go and read the ENTIRE 'teaching moves/longest post' thread wink kiss

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
i tell you - that bluecat is sooo up his own **** i went all the way to edinburgh for staff lessons and he taught me nothing!!

ubbloco

wink

I know what you mean - people that have been spinning for 4-5 years have taught lots of people in that time, for sure.......... some days its just nice to spin on you own, without the whole "can you show me how to do that" question over and over........ then when youve shown it to someone, someone else comes along asking the same thing...............

I JUST WANT TO SPIN ON MY OWN ubbloco

ok - so that doesnt happen to me loads - but i certanly get my days like it, sometimes i just sit there and watch because i dont want to get involved in the whole teaching of things..........

Does that make me snotty?

perhpas - i dont think i am though - when i think about the workshops ive run and moves ive taught people - its a massive amount............ an amount though the person ive "just said no to" has no clue about, which is sad but unavoidable..........

All in all teaching is fun, but sometimes its good to be taught smile

(oh and by the way - Uberstaff rocked and i leanrt loads - just for the record - bluecat, your far from snotty nosed, look at all the teaching youve done online..... you have right to say no in person, "go look on the web!")

smile

hug to all learners and teachers - if knowledge is hard to find today - go hassle him tomorrow (he may not be as stoned) smile

ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
tongue

Dammit, are we falling out again?!!

I've avoided all long poi move-related threads so far because they all seem a bit too far over my head.

I'll read it in the next couple of days.

hug kiss

(and yeah, for anyone who considers themselves a newbie - Bluecat, Strugz and Durbs are those snotty spinners. Really, don't even speak to them. In fact, it's probably best to ignore them completely, or at least laugh and point. They are geeks who only come out of their bedrooms to spin poi in parks. They eat children. ubblol ubblol Sorrys, couldn't resist)

Getting to the other side smile

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

They are geeks who only come out of their bedrooms to spin poi in parks. They eat children. ubblol ubblol Sorrys, couldn't resist)

take that back!!

i dont spin poi - especially in a park ubbloco

but the geek bit and child eating bit is true im afraid, although im only speaking for myself here......... im pretty sure durbs is partial to the odd child for lunch, but cant say for Bluecat ubblol

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
ubblol

You do spin poi. I saw you.

Y'see children, he lies too.

For shame!

biggrin

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
I try to give a few pointers when I can, but I often like spinning on my own because it gives me a chance to unwind and destress.

Which is good. Can't be snottied by the snotty fella if I snot him first wink

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: Firepoise

ubblol

You do spin poi. I saw you.

no no no - your mistaken my irish friend, they were not poi - they were my new "non ridged" doubles wink

ubblol

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ah non-ridged, eh?

Edit: no, I'm not going to make the smutty comment... rolleyes

Yeush redface

I should log off now, tis one of those days biggrin

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Written by: strugz

ok - so that doesnt happen to me loads - but i certanly get my days like it, sometimes i just sit there and watch because i dont want to get involved in the whole teaching of things..........

Just hit me over the head next time I ask dude redface wink
I must get annoying. all want want want and show me that same move over and over rolleyes

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

CantusSILVER Member
Tantamount to fatuity
15,966 posts

Posted:
Written by: Mynci

I must get annoying. all want want want and show me that same move over and over rolleyes

No, that's Nate you're thinking of wink

Meh

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
ubblol

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
I think you find these kinds of people in all walks of life, really. apart from being irritating and just not called for, it really can hurt some people and have an effect on the whole community.

try to share things, there is too much selfishness in the world as it is.. and it shouldn't matter whether or not you spend a whole evening trying to teach someone a weave or what ever it may be, but i assure you the smile on their face when they get it is gratification enough to tell you that you're on the right track. smile

tumtummember
33 posts

Posted:
Argh, tell me about it. I used to hang around with a few spinners who were great, then I moved to Brighton and the first time I met some poiers they were very standoffish and I was just trying to be friendly. I was on my own, in a strange country, and knew no one. I made a hasty retreat and didnt do back again. It wasnt until the lovely miss blu_valley approached me as I was spinning on the beach and invited me to join them in some spinny loveliness that my faith was restored again. But even her lovely little crew are sometimes snubbed by the same group that snubbed me, and its not like we'd steal their moves, we can do all the same ones and more, and we tend to dance around and move our bodies...they dont even look happy while spinning, infact they look like theyre being forced to do it...why do it if you dont enjoy it!

Im hungry!!!

fluffy napalm fairyCarpal \'Tunnel
3,638 posts

Posted:
I was recently part of a fire show at a festival here.

When we had finished spinning a load of kids (who did some poi) came over and wanted me to teach them.

I was tired and it had been pretty stressful keeping them out of the way in the first place, but as fluffily as i could told them that I was gonna chill out and enjoy the evening, but if they wanted a hand to come back in the daytime (to the same marked area) and we'd do some workshops.

Didn't see them.

That night, at the fire show, they came up again, saying something along the lines of "so, yeah, you told us to f*ck off last night we're not going to give up so easily tonight. Just cos you're in the show don't think you own the place".

This both upset and confused me.
For anyone who knows me (and even those who don't) I'm sure you can understand why.

However, every time they remember that fire show they will remember me being a bitch.
Regardless of whether that's the correct take on the situation.

I guess I'm trying to say two things - the attitude sucks, yes. And is defiantely there, though hopefully still few and far between. But sometimes it's not intentional, and if you take a little time to figure it out then maybe they were tired, or shy, or whatever.........

ubbrollsmile

Geologists do it in the dirt................ spank

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I've met you once, And I conclude (already) you're not a bitch. If I had been performing, and was knackered/too stoned/whatever wink I would have told them to come back later, too.

Maybe they were 'snotty students' who expect everything all the time...

Strange concept... but everything has an opposite...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
This is part of what I like about hoppers. You know when you meet someone and they say "oh yeah I'm on HOP and my name is ..." then they are going to be a really cool person you can spin with and share tricks of whatever level. It is always worth bearing in mind that you can still learn how to do basic tricks better, with more style or qerks, from newbies. Also their energy is infectious.

Personally though I love showing down an stuck up poi or staff "master" in front of there intended audience. Some guy who takes there t-shirt off, does a really fast poorly executed burn off, and then simply spins really fast. I ether do this through the medium of heckle or spinning all his moves better than he does smile

But it is always worth bearing in mind that the only difference between you and that bad spinner is a couple of months serious practise...

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

ZauberdachSometimes sword wofter
199 posts

Posted:
Written by: bluecat

frown

i'm always scared that i'm one of the snotty nosed spinners.

No you are not. You are one of the best smile

IMPORTANT: Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of a sane person.

"just get the f**k on with it and make me the anti-christ already!"

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
as a bit of a newbie... i think once youve got the basics sorted you do need to ask someone else about harder moves, to give you an idea of what you can actually do with it. i was shown a few contact moves a couple months ago and am slowly finding out about other things i can do, and that feeling is brilliant when you discover something by yourself, but i still think if you have someone give a few pointers it makes it a little easier to get your head around, know what i mean?

i just enjoy spinning with people whether theyre better than me or not, i dont try and show off what i can do, (well cos theres not that big a range yet!) but i think dreads said about shared interests, its totally true, i get so happy when i find other people that spin too!

peace

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

dreadsGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
looks like i've had a bit of bad luck then,
thank god they're just a minority!!

the dreads will return......
oooh that gave me moosebumps haha...
to be continued

Page: