Page:
dreadsGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
I have only span for a year or so but i have learnt that if you want to progress with your spinning you really have to try or get people to help teach you,that was fine until recently when i bumped into maybe 10-15 or so different spinners who have a major EGO problem! you know the type, always looking down their nose at you because you only have one set of poi, or you can only do 3 beat weave.taking all the credit for performances and then when you try to chat to them or ask to spin with them, lokking at you like they have just stood in dog poop. we all have to start somewhere guys and the only way to get better is to learn, so help your friendly spinner. please dont tell them to (insert 4 letter word of your preffered insult here) off. so please you lot lose the egos they dont help anyone.
does anyone else feel the same?

the dreads will return......
oooh that gave me moosebumps haha...
to be continued

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
hug havent met anyone like that! yeah sure if theres loadsa really good spinners around id feel a bit shy being not so good compared to them, but ive always found others to friendly and helpful smile
doesnt sound like youve met some nice peeps to me, personally i believe as a spinning community there should be no snobbery and that were all equal.
suppose theres always a few though....

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: dreads

we all have to start somewhere guys and the only way to get better is to learn, so help your friendly spinner. please dont tell them to (insert 4 letter word of your preffered insult here) off.

I've never met anyone who'se that bad, but there are those who feel that there's a certain amount of learning you need to do yourself, if you're to really enjoy it, get a sense of satisfaction and ultimately become a better spinner when you get to the point of thinking up and teaching yourself moves which haven't been discovered yet. If you really want to be spoon fed everything, you should be paying for it not assuming people will be excited to meet yet another poi beginner and want to give them free one-to-one step by step tutition.

I feel the same to be honest, and it goes for lots of things in life (you would not beleive the amount of dumb questions people post onto software development lists because they're too lazy to use google and do some research themselves). That said, I'm never rude to anyone about it that I know, I'm happy to teach newbies, however my style of teaching is generally to plant an idea in someone's head, show them what's possible and let them figure the finer points of it out, and that's my favourite way to be taught too. One of the funnest things of poi meets is just jamming with people, exchanging ideas and concepts, whatever the level (being taught something new by someone whose spun poi for a couple of weeks and wasn't aware they'd found something new is common). If they still want spoon feeding then I explain why I don't think that's the best way to learn a hobby.

I can only imagine that anyone who just tells you to f off isn't as good at spinning as they want people to think, and probably part of not wanting to teach you comes from them a) wanting to feel superior and b) the fact that they don't want to demonstrate how little they actually know.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Meh at lreast when you meet people like that you know they are bad people, so fcuck em never see them again they have done you a favour by showing you what there like straight off instead of you finding out through other people wichis allways worse

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
It's their choice isn't it? It's good to be giving, and most spinners are; but no-ones under an obligation to teach everyone who wanders up to them.

Also, it's a two way process, some people prefer it if you get to know them a bit before expecting them to pass on knowledge they're spent years to learn themselves.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ZacknasfienBRONZE Member
25 posts

Posted:
I dont know. Ive met a one or two arseholes in my time. A guy in scarborough (England) once was doing a show while i was watching. He asked if anyone wanted a go. So i said yeah i will. (bear in mind i had been poing for a month and was hoping for some pointers). And he said oh do this. (spins them forward) then i did that and said "like this" he said "yeah thats right". Then I went into a routine that i had practised like the 5 beat weaves and stuff. he wasnt happy but the crowd loved it. They thought it was all apart of the act. Anyways, when the crowd dissapated i asked him if there was anything he could teach me. And as you say he looked down his nose at me and told me to shove off because i knew how to poi. But thats the only arsehole ive meet. Other people who asked me to join there act always welcomed me and commented on my stlye and gave me pointers on how i could have made my routine better and what i could have done.

I didnt mean to be big headed there or "blow my own trumpet" im just not very good with words.

Take it easy dude and lets hope you dont meet any more pricks like that again.

Peace out

Sakura_MoonHop's Kitten Jester.
1,803 posts

Posted:
Some spinners can be *really* snotty, but its their problem - i find its mainly the circus ones.
In no offence to the circus firetwirlers as i will soon be one, too.
Dont think anything of it, doll. Because if they cant help people because of their ...snotty..ness then they may be missing out on some really interesting stuff...sides, you'll prob end upbetter than them anyway.
hug
*feels the need to know what kind of martial arts you do*

.:Pink Exocutioner:.

I am Jack's Raging Bile Duct...

Loving you from the deepest part of my loins.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Dont worry about it. Some people are just w'ers (damn this PG board!).

Personally I love meeting people and sharing tricks, tips and stories. In fact I just love chatting about any of my interests with other people who share them. I'll never understand people who don't feel the same way.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Some people will only teach a pretty face and others have times at meets when they will teach and want the other times to sort their own new stuff out. Sometimes they might be learning new stuf them selves and want time to sort it. Heaps of times Ive said, give me a minute while I sort this and simply forget to get back to them.
I love teaching basics but struggle to teach anything other than basics and struggle to pick up new stuff now as well.*shrug*

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
The only unfriendly spinners I have ever met was a small group of UK backpacker types on the beach at Byron last year. I had my ribbon poi with me and went over to say hello and tell them where there was a fireshow happening that night. I was totally snobbed by these young girls: couldn't believe it! There was a chap with them though who I ran into later at the Arts Factory. We had a terrific time on the dancefloor under the big tree, danced our socks off,miming our best poi moves and laughing like twits for ages. Prolly why the silly girls snobbed me: cos they twigged I knew how to have a better time than them wink even if I not young and cute! ubblol

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

dreadsGOLD Member
8 posts

Posted:
i feel exactly the same as seye, im quite a social person and i spose i dont really get peeps just straight off dismissing you
i dont expect to be spoon fed anything i like sharin ideas with people better than me and also complete newbies alike.

martial arts wise... i train traditional japanese jiu jitsu have done for bout 5 years now, done some BJJ as well but i have over the past year and a half started doing a fair bit of capoeira too as i like spinning and flipping plus the music is AMAZING!!!

the dreads will return......
oooh that gave me moosebumps haha...
to be continued

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: dreads

i have over the past year and a half started doing a fair bit of capoeira too as i like spinning and flipping plus the music is AMAZING!!!

WOW!

Capoeira is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen. I can provide the music but haven't got the guts to start flipping myself around like that!

Film some - we need to see! biggrin

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yes. I've run into it in L.A. and it was disgusting.
A friend (and student) of mine recently ran into it so rampantly in San Fran, where she moved to, that she has actually abandonned spinning poi for lack of people to learn from and because of their poor attitudes out there. I am sooooo sad for her. frown

On the other side...I have been called the pretentious bitch..to me and behind my back, by other HoPpers.
I rarely spin for fun and I let people know that when they meet me and expect me to just spin. This is my job so when I go out, I want to do something different, or if someone else wants to spin I am *more* than happy to safety for them.
However, I get contacted all the time by people expecting me (not really asking) to teach them, travel to them so they can learn and not only impart moves but details about everything I do so they can do it too, and you know what...I think *that* is rude and presumptuous. I try really hard to nicely tell people what I do, how I am, if I am interested or not, I even have given advice (that they asked for) about how to really get into stuff (practice, take classes, research, etc.) and when it wasn't what they wanted, I have had several get **very nasty** with me in return, and call me a stuck up-egotistical bitch. That makes me feel equally as bad as when I run into someone who comes across as snobby.

However, they can think that, but I can tell you that is not where I come from. I know I am not the best, not even close, so I have no right to have an ego...but I also don't feel it is right for people to expect me to just impart everything on them because I am a fellow spinner.

And I do teach for free, to people I know and enjoy hanging out with who I know appreciate the art. Sometimes, taking the time to get to know people is all it takes.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Pele, in all honesty, you ARE fantastic. kiss hug

At the moment im a very snotty spinner. I have a cold. frown

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unnamed Cutie On Front

Pele, in all honesty, you ARE fantastic. kiss hug

At the moment im a very snotty spinner. I have a cold. frown

Thanks UCOF..though mediocre at best is closer to the truth. wink

And that is soooooo darn funny! Just don't wipe your nose on your hand and then spin...might make your grip slippy! wink

Pele

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pele

Yes. I've run into it in L.A. and it was disgusting.
A friend (and student) of mine recently ran into it so rampantly in San Fran, where she moved to, that she has actually abandonned spinning poi for lack of people to learn from and because of their poor attitudes out there. I am sooooo sad for her. frown

Oh that makes me sad too, both because anyone anywhere would abandon spinning because of the crappy attitudes of others, but also because this little tidbit reflects poorly on my town and community. We're not all like that! Really, some of the most wonderful & open hearted people I've ever known are members of the spinning community here.

So Pele, if your friend is willing to come out and play again, I'll give you my contact info which you can pass onto her. Some of my spinning compatriots get together Wednesday nights and your friend would certainly be welcome to join us (though we're all a little preoccupied getting ready for Burning Man right now). PM me if you want my info to pass along.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
She's a BM girl too Blueboy, so i am sure she would be appreciative. Thank you!

Pele

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
*feels privaleged* i dont think ive *yet* met a snotty spinner a few that i didnt hit it off with right away but id say most ive been able to talk to

then again i tend to be pretty think skined so maybe i just didnt get the hint tongue

and pele for what its worth i think you have every right to be like that smile - people should realise that your not obliged to teach. figuring it out for yourself is more fun anyway smile i like to get tips and pointers but try to learn new things with minimum help - you learn more about the poi that way smile

*stops rambling*

back

SprocketGOLD Member
140 posts

Posted:
I agree, everyone has to start somewhere...

...and here it comes...

...BUT I've had some people who wanted to show off with what little they could do and I just HAD to put them back in their place (one guy said that poi was for girls and staff was the way to go. But he nearly burned himself didn't he, because he was drunk when he spun).

I hope everyone enjoys "their" spinning; to feel competetive is alright but don't let it ruin your day. Sharing and having friends is better than being alone on the top of the world.

hm, pinecones, my favourits!

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Hellos.

I was going to make a new thread for this, but decided I might as well add it here.

It's kindof the other side to the original post.

I've been spinning for 3 years and while I'm starting to move with my poi, I am by no means 'good' (not the point!!! biggrin)

However, I live in Northern Ireland and at the minute there isn't anyone else here who has been spinning for as long.

There is a good circus school here, and they have kindof 'adopted' poi as a circus trick... it means people have been learning stuff from the Michael Khan book without really knowing what poi is or anything about planes, etc.

It's great that there is some interest, even if it needs to be refined a bit.

However, I went to circus last night and was happily practicing away in the corner when someone asked if I could teach them.

She was really lovely and we worked out the 3-bt weave.

Then a handful of other spinners turned up and insisted on showing off how many moves they could do and how fast they could do them.

One girl could kindof do a 5-bt weave without really knowing how to do a 3-bt properly. Another could do some moves very fast, without any real concentration on any of them.

Now, I learned from watching other people and listening to their advice. Learning each move as best I could before moving onto the next one. If someone tried to teach me something I at least listened to them.

Anyways, I suggested these girls slow down and try to concentrate on each move.

They looked at me as if to say 'we know how to do poi, who do you think you are?'

This made me feel like crap, because I was only offering advice (I thought that's why they were there in the first place!) and it was thrown back in my face in the rudest of ways.

I don't know. I want to see poi develop and the community grow - but there are people who just don't get it.

(And while I'm having my little moan biggrin why is it that some people teach buzzsaws and hyperloops and other advanced moves to people who haven't nailed the basics?!)

Sigh.

shrug

Getting to the other side smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I semi agree with you, i have met a few spinners who are totally up their arses, and full of themselves, its annoying as hell, simpy jsut to see someone that jammy, the only comfort i can give you is that these people are in the minority

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
"Anyways, I suggested these girls slow down and try to concentrate on each move.

They looked at me as if to say 'we know how to do poi, who do you think you are?'"

I hate when people do that. It's obvious (to a spinner) that they don't know what they're doing at all, but refuse to be helped out.

I, for one, Really enjoy the passing on of knowledge. It Gives me a sense of pride when I get someone doing a certain move that they've been wanting to nail. I especially like the look on new spinners faces as they Thread the needle for the first time, or crack the 3bt weave... Priceless!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Heheheh. Me too.

It's the same look of 'ah-ha' that I get when I learn something new.

Rather like this: ubbidea

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
well guys, easy answer for you today- just focus on the ones who do get it, the ones who enjoy it with you and want to learn... They are the ones who will form your community.

Dont give energy out to the snotty nose folk. Eventually, some of the snotty nosed may catch on, and sneak over to join you, if not, no loss. But dont devote any more precious thought, time or energy to them!Someone lock this thread!

As for why do some people teach advanced things, prior to the basics- it depends. Sometimes it is just dumb. But occasionally you have a learner that needs some more challenge, and is attached to the idea of one particular move and wants that. So occassionally I start with the basics, but throw in a tricky trick just to keep them engaged and indulged... the idiots will drop out when they can not get it, and the others will come round to an understanding of why they need the basics after they have had enough exposure.to good spinners

People are spinning for all different reasons, and learn, and teach in all different ways. Some are not even interested in what is best for themselves, never mind what is best for the art form!Let them be.

Clare, you are so good to give it a try, and if you got one great person in the crowd consider it a good beginning! Way to go! Even when people ask for help they may not be able to receive it well. Dont let them get you down!
hugs, ~A

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
biggrin

Righto... great advice.

I feel like those who don't 'get it' are missing out on so much... but I suppose that's their choice.

Thanks Andrea hug

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I hate people who laugh at you when they can do something you cannot.
Giving themselves an unnecessary superiority complex.

I know somebody who does it, but I probably do it too.

Which makes me a hyprocrit.

Willy - is bad for your health...

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
BlueBoy, glad you responded to Pele. I was about to suggest you get in touch, and am happy that is already happenning! I LOVE San Fran and all the spinners I have met from there, so found that post surprising.

I will pm you later about BM next year, between you, Sanford and Dan a little mad plan has been triggered in my dizzy head! Teaser: Think UV reactive webs, layered in spirals, supported by a tensile structure...
XOXO
ANdrea

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
wow Andrea your little teaser has me panting like a dog! ubbloco I wanna climb on that thing right now!!

ending off-topicness now.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Written by: andrealee

As for why do some people teach advanced things, prior to the basics- it depends. Sometimes it is just dumb. But occasionally you have a learner that needs some more challenge, and is attached to the idea of one particular move and wants that. So occassionally I start with the basics, but throw in a tricky trick just to keep them engaged and indulged... the idiots will drop out when they can not get it, and the others will come round to an understanding of why they need the basics after they have had enough exposure.to good spinners

I generally use it as an opportunity to teach more basic stuff to them that they can use to build up to being able to do the move. If they're that keen on knowing the main move they'll probably be quite motivated to get the necessary basics smile

"Moo," said the happy cow.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I agree that what you encountered is a bit rubbish, but just to offer the flip-side...

I've been spinning poi for around five years. I love teaching (and incidentally am a bit of a git when it comes to insisting learning the basics before anything else...) and have happily taught many a newbie get on their feet with poi at any one of the Guildford meets or randoms at festivals.
But.
There are some times/days/places when I really don't want to teach. Meh, sometimes this is down to laziness, other times my heads just not in the right place, or sometimes it's just not practical. I know from experience that when I say "No" when people ask me to teach them, that to them it's going to seem like I'm being rude, unhelpful or elitist. No matter if I explain, to them it still seems like a snub, especially if I then go and spin by myself...

As Flid mentioned, no-one is obliged to teach anyone. Everyone has a right to say "No", and in some ways, it's equally rude to assume they'll say "Yes".

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Page: