Forums > Social Discussion > More on British Culture... Gingers

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I hadn't even actually heard the term ginger haired used before I went there- in the US we are boring and say red. But what I missed was the apparently deragatory nature of it, and what a problem it can actually be. Talking to people, I've since learned that as a red-head in britain you expect to be abused about it all through school and in general even when you are out walking... this mystifies me, but after I started looking for it I found a lot of stories. So...

Brits, is it really that bad? Does it depend where you are?

Have any non brits seen it? Particuarly orange people might be called carrot top here, and are stereotyped to not like their hair, but... its certainly not much!

I know its essentially just another form of racism, and this one even has a gene seperating them from others, but.... how very strange! Any thoughts or explanations welcome...

Kyri ubbrollsmile

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
just so that you all know.....
i LOVE being ginger - its not so common like blondes or brunettes, sets me apart from my friends when we're out and if people choose to call me ginge or ginger nut etc its gives me something to talk about. and....i think ginger blokes can be quite sexy as well.
Becs x

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
its not a proper hug but from 1 ginger to another hug

i dont get paid to belive i get paid to destroy things

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
tart.... ubblol but for the whole ginger community grouphug

does anyone here think being ginger gives you any kind of advantages?

mostly people have talked about bullying and ridicule but has anyone here found that good things have happened purely because they were ginger???

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
uh... well it's not necessarily a good thing, one (drunk) guy invited (nay... almost dragged me, kicking and screaming) to elope with him and create lots of ginger babies.... he was bald, so i guess it was 50/50 as to whether it would actually work....

but other than that i get lots of people say nice things about my hair colour quite a lot, which is nice biggrin

Also, i suspect you could make big bucks if you sold ginger hair to wigmaker....

... but i'm sure there are better answers to your question than that....

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

ChickpeaSILVER Member
305 posts

Posted:
then bid for me.... wink shameless plug!

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

captain pantsnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
im a ginger and i got it a fair bit as a kid. i grew up first in the uk then in australia and i can say from experience taht its a bit more mean spirited in the uk whereas in australia its more about mucking around. i havent really met a red head who hasnt gotten used to it early on and like someone mentioned before its now like water off a ducks back, plus its part of what made me the person i am today :P
my fave one is wranga as in oranutang!

long live the ginge

jesus this moses that, abraham hit me with a wiffel bat.

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
When I get back UK wards someone's gonna have to get me to pronounce these things properly......

Still like to point out that red is chic in the US... like everyone dyes their hair red.... altho natural red is still pretty much only actually hot for girls, don't know why....

Personally, I like my men like I like my beer...... tongue

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
captin pants same as that if it wasnt for being bullied and taunted as a kid

i wouldnt be the person i am to day

so thank you to those who made my life hell as a kid
EDITED_BY: el ginger 1 (1125058174)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Oi shaun What about those of us that make your life Hell as an adult wink don't we deserve some credit.

I think what kyrian means is she likes her men cold and wet. ubblol beerchug

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
you dont make my life hell tho mate nor do any of my other mates that make fun of my hair colour because i know your only joking its not whats said its the way its said

you can take the mick as much as you like mate you now i dont care and you also know that the chances are that youll get an equally derogetry reply you fat twaT beerchug hug ubblol

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ah, the ways that can go! Cold and wet could be amusing tho...

Nah I've just been on a big red beer kick lately, and the saying just kinda fell out of my mouth... fair enough, I adore my ginger tongue

Try as i might i can't draw any other decent comparisons..... Tried for a joke involving head but it never quite made it.

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
sunny sunny sunny

I dont know about you other gingers but im sweating my bolcks

off it definatly has not been ginger friendly weather over the last few days dont get me wrong im not moaning about the beautiful sun were getting at the moment but i spent the bank holiday

on the beach and now im reder the postman pats van

---------------------------------------------------

smile its free sunny
EDITED_BY: el ginger 1 (1125498035)

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Heh, that's what i find strange about fair haired people...the rest of us get tanned, you guys just...burn tongue

It's better to burn out than to fade away

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
Ha, still remember a friend of mine went to Cali, was soooo careful about not getting burned.... first day back in england he gets a sunburn tongue

must be weird, my aunt (she's a ginger, yes) turns into a dalmation when she sits in the sun, i just don't change colour at all.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
yeah i now it sucks
this time evry year we have a big 3 day beach party which was fantastic this year any way i was spining fire at this party and had previously though it wouuld be a good idea to shave my head as i often do to prevent it get singed
or burnt but now i have a sunburnt head
cant win really

JhingeBRONZE Member
110 posts

Posted:
dalmation: i have loads of freakles when i burn i look like suntand salami

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
*giggles*

granted i've never seen a dalmation with so many spots, but i can't think what else has spots so many!!!! There's places where her skin actually lookd freckle couloured!

Some gingers really don't get as many.

I have a few freckles, not many, i'm definetly pretty solid brown tho, despite what my hair may look like in dom's hallway.....

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
The sunburn isnta ginger thing, its a fair skin thing, it jsut happens that gingers also have fair skin, it works because melanin the pigment in the skin which absorbs UV light is absent or very lacking in gingers and fair skinned ppl, and totally not there in albinos and therefore we have little protection from it

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

NOnactivist for HoPper liberation.
1,643 posts

Posted:
ahhh... but you can work on it, there's some bits of me that don't really burn so much anymore cos they have been burnt to a crisp so many times before... biggrin in british sun anyway, ok so when i go anywhere else i am guaranteed a spot of sunburn, (or a pretty pattern, depends which bit i forgot with the sun cream) also when i spent 3 months in Central America, i got very burnt (like blistering burnt) in my first few weeks but henceforth 'twas no more and i didn't even use that much sun cream...! an achievment i think you will agree.... also if we have a chance, i'll show you how sun-tanned my arms really are (in comparison to the belly), only other fair skinned folk could appreciate it!!

oh and back on the subject of ridicule for gingers, and sunburn... recently a train conductor here in slovenia, laughed at me for a good ten minutes because he could see how white my belly was compared to HIS arm (short t-shirt.... i wasn't showing off my suntan... or maybe i did? eek i can't remember now...)

i'm working on the freckle theory, i was aiming to join them all up and look suntanned for evermore, but it's not working and there are still great swathes of skin that go unfreckled.... i don't particularly want permenant tan-lines, just the tan... so i've given up now.

stay sensible ginger folk, stay in the shade!!! biggrin

Aurinko freedom agreement reached 10th Sept 2006

if it makes no sense that's because it's NOn-sense.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Something else... You get the saying "fiery red head" are gingers more firey than non-gingers... the most fiery person I have met is not. Anyone had experience of feisty gingers?

Julie2022member
145 posts

Posted:
Hmm - I've thought of red hair as being more attractive than blond or brown. But I usually call it Strawberry rather than ginger or carrot top.

and it's true - we light-haired people frizzle in the sun. I get heat rashes and itchy bumps, I more than frizzle, I sizzle smile lol I have to avoid the sun, henceforth - I'll never have a nice tan.

"I'm your Huckleberry."

The muse spake her thought and then there was silence. Thy spiked tongue had melted, only a bitter heart remained.

practikalmagiknewbie
18 posts

Posted:
My sister is a brunette and her skin+sun=red!!!

She has darker white skin then me too!

*basks in the non-burning-fairskinned-ness*

On an annoying note though, my hair goes blonde in parts in the sun which just annoys me *strokes her red/brown hair*

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Its not ginger its, autumn bracken! ubblol

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
I've definetly found fiery gingers, but they seem to be a little more in control of it than I might have thought. As compared to some non-gingers I know, who are more out of control. But I've not really seen anyone match a couple gingers I know for long term energy and just... inner fire. They're like indestructible.

It bothers me that I sound like one of my friends describing me... I'm neither ginger, nor indestrutible. But I find gingers easier to go along with, they don't yell at me to slow down so much, so there must be some truth to it ... smile

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

ChickpeaSILVER Member
305 posts

Posted:
it has to be said im a fairly badly controlled fiery ginger - i can flare up really quickly for no good reason and get quite fiesty when i need to, or again for no good reason - its not my fault im ginger!
B x

IcerSILVER Member
just a shadow of my former self...
205 posts

Posted:
is it cause they ginga they get firey? an ex of mine was ginger and she wasnt that fiery, only when i REALLY annoyed her.
maybe because they get hassled so much more gingers tend to be on edge, and then they stand out. you tend to remember a gingers and blondes more imo. i think its just another urban myth.

It took a while, but once their numbers dropped from 50 down to 8, the other dwarves started to suspect Hungry.

ChickpeaSILVER Member
305 posts

Posted:
nature or nurture -
i know that i have a very quick fiery temper, and im ginger,
but i dont know if i have a fiery temper because its been impressed upon me for the last 22 years that redheads are fiery people...or because its a trait of redheads.
I do know that there are certain traits which go along with being a redhead. e.g. apparently we bleed more easily/dont clot so well, also redheads are supposed to have a higher pain threshold that non-redheads....but dont ask me for the research, theyre just things ive been told through experience of working in hopsitals and talking to old staff
so my question is nature or nurture...?

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I've had a thought today (i know shocking) on my walk to work, as i passed a little girl who had ginger hair, and was wearing glasses.

Most of the gingers i know, (not all though) wear glasses!

I wear glasses and am ginger - so that's one person! Who else on here, who is ginger wears/needs glasses/contacts?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

ChickpeaSILVER Member
305 posts

Posted:
i wear glasses. (when i can find them!)

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
my aunt wears contacts. but my good friend has perfect vision (curse him!) and he's ginger.
and of the two boys i went to secondary school with who were ginger, (brothers) one wore thick glasses and one had good vision.... so i don't know!

Keep your dream alive

Shalom VeAhavah

Page: