Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Contact Staff Weight And Length?

Login/Join to Participate

Strange By Namenewbie
6 posts

Posted:
Hi
just a quick question, what do you reckons best for the weight of a contact staff and length.

At the moment ive got a 4ft staff with 65mm wicks on each end.

Thanks
PS: i found a decent site with contact staffing:
https://www.inspinerate.com/video.htm

Cheers

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
I find the colour helps more that the balance... ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

=Flamer=member
192 posts

Posted:
You need a heavier staff for contact. Think about something like a wooden core staff maybe. It's not as strong as an aluminium staff but has more weight which carries more momentum for contact staffing.

Fire Staff £27, Paraffin £10... setting yourself alight, Priceless!

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
what about a long aluminium staff? im quite short and have a 55 inch staff which is very light, but have been trying a longer heavier staff and its easier, but would a wooden staff be better than that? and is it easier to break? (im so scared of wrecking it!! confused2)

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
my new staff is very long (6ft) and very heavy cos it is chrom with wooden innerr core. it is very nice for contact. but allot of it is about personal preference

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

BekarPLATINUM Member
Best fire theatre of BY, PL and UA in 2007, Bychyna competition
54 posts

Posted:
Last 14 years (i'm 24) I am working with the 6ft staff... Now i mean, it is very Inconveniently to keep the shorter than 6ft stuff...

Best Regards, Aliaksej <span style="font-weight: bold">"Bekar"</span> Burnosenka,<br />Fire and Medieval Theatre <span style="font-weight: bold"> "DiGrease's Buffoon Theatre"</span> <br /> <br />e-mail: bekar@tut.by<br />phone: +375 29 5076263<br />Minsk, Belarus

ahhmaymember
42 posts

Posted:
it's all about the wood 4ft. staff. perfect for me because the weight gives it that natural momentum when you give it a directional signal...then your body can adjust to the spin for contact stuff...

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
So for contact, it should be heavier and shorter, is that a general consensus?

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

thelostSILVER Member
mmm...i feel all warm and fuzzy... 'no dude, that's your hair on fire'
355 posts

Posted:
Not much experience with staff spinning, but it's easier with heavy staves (for momentum), length varies depending on the speed you wanna spin at. Longer staves take longer to spin a revolution (if you're using the same amount of force) than a shorter one, so you get more control with longer (but less tricks as they get in the way?)

Just trying to explain with a maths approach tongue
Again, please correct me if i'm hideously wrong

It's better to burn out than to fade away

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
So for contact it should be heavier and LONGER, cos you want it to spin slowly... so it'll hurt you less, and give you more length to the contact move in.

Plus it should be weighted at the ends... not the middle.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

strugzBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,964 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dentrassi

I find the colour helps more that the balance... ubbrollsmile

ubblol i couldnt agree more........ wink

Oh, and what MCP said - smile

"...We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing......."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah! Colour is important!

And do a search or something! Y'Know! I have to add a section of this stuff to my website. So everybody knows this shizzle.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
mcp - can you give specs for your staves please?

ture na sig

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah I could... Or I could be lazy and show you them at bristol? How's that sound? biggrin

Plamnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Because of weight I set a wooden staff into aluminium pipe,both 160cm (5,2 ft),but I'm 2m tall.

EDITED_BY: Plam (1126487339)