Forums > Social Chat > Melb Breaking News - Shooting at Melb Uni

Login/Join to Participate

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
If you pray, please add this to your prayer list:

Two people have been shot dead and another eight have been wounded, after an incident at Melbourne's Monash University.

Police have a person in custody.

The shooting took place in a building on the university's Clayton campus.

Two of the injured have been rushed into the Alfred Hospital's trauma unit.

Their condition is not yet known.

Hospital staff are preparing for the possibility of more casualties arriving soon.

[ 21 October 2002, 17:35: Message edited by: Flynt ]

Currently on the right side up of the world.

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
omg u cant be serious????

omg omg omg

thisis something you only expect to hear in america... not in melb- AUSTRALIA!

do you know why it happened???

wow... i dont believe this...

my thoughts go out to those injured, and to the poor families of those 2 dead. i will light a candle for you now in your memory!

and also i hope that the hospital doesnt have to get prepared for more injured ppl. 8 ppl is far too many!

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
i'm keeping a close ear/eye on the news today, and will post again when i have more information.

Bendymember
750 posts

Posted:
There is a story on the
Washington Post.

[ 21 October 2002, 17:10: Message edited by: Bendy ]

Courage is the man who can stop after only one peanut

RoziSILVER Member
100 characters max...
2,996 posts

Posted:
Thinking of them, praying for them

It was a day for screaming at inanimate objects.

What this calls for is a special mix of psychology and extreme violence...

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Update:
A man has been arrested and taken to the Glen Waverley police station.

The shooting happened on the sixth floor of the Robert Menzies building, which is home to the Faculty of Arts and Humanities.

Two of the injured have been rushed into the Alfred Hospital's trauma unit.

Hundreds of students were in the building at the time.

They say the first thing they heard was a woman screaming.

"We heard her screaming, then five minutes later we heard the police helicopter come over," one bystander said.

A student and staff member, Chris, says he was in the Menzies building at the time of the shooting.

"It was all a bit of a shambles. We were just sitting in our office on the south wing and one of our colleagues from the second floor came down and said 'Quick, there's a guy in there with a gun on the fifth or sixth floor'," he said.

"We were all sort of gobsmacked and apparently one of the injured had walked down to the second floor into one of my colleagues' offices and said 'I've been shot, what do I do'."

Rebecca Tomlinson from the Monash Student Union says those on campus were told there was a sniper in the area.

"We were told that the sniper was on the roof of the Menzies building and I just looked out the window and saw throngs of students standing on the union lawn.

"Everyone was just looking at the police helicopters and no-one knew what was going on. Of course it was very frightening because we had no idea whether shots were going to be coming from the roof."

The Homicide Squad is now investigating the incident.

Distorted Silencemember
217 posts

Posted:
My sister goes to monash uni. But, then again i dont know what campus, if shes currently going or deferring, so yer. eh....

weird times we are in. when will the insanity stop?

You've got to move fast to beat the Devil - Your arm's too short to box with God.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
Update:

Police say a man of Asian appearance walked into the Menzies building armed with a number of handguns and went into a classroom on the sixth floor.

They say he shot dead two Asian males and injured five others in the room.

Monash student Lauren says she was on the floor above when the shooting began.

"I heard a very large bang, which at first I didn't take to be a gunshot, and I heard some people screaming, and I thought, I wonder if anyone's hurt themselves, I'll run downstairs and see if I can help," she said.

"I saw a large pool of blood, probably about the size of a dustpan lid, and then this lady just started screaming, saying there's a gunman, there's a gunman, everybody get downstairs, so we all just started to run downstairs."

BurningByronmember
340 posts

Posted:
Flynt I told you what my sister said... I hope this is all thats going to happen. The energy over there is escalating big time, stay safe darlin.

HOW TO FLY 101:
step 1. Throw your self at the ground.
step 2. Miss.

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
i am byron, keeping my eye on the news for other events your sis mentioned.
xoxoxxo

FlyntSILVER Member
Intrepid Penguin
5,635 posts

Posted:
ok, abc news have since withdrawn the comments about the shooter and victims being asian... Dont know whats going on there.

PM Howard and various other Poly types have expressed greif for the victims and familys, and thanks to the heroic efforts of the class members who stopped the gunman.

For those of you who would like to keep an eye on this: abc news has half hourly updates.

Thanks for your prayers!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
My heart goes out to all those that this tragidy is affecting.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

SpArKiE*shiny shiny*
218 posts

Posted:
this is just pure insanity- of the real kind!

what kinda person walks into a uni, into a classroom and shoots ppl????

my thoughts are still with these ppl and their families.

lets jsut hope this bloody moron is the one the police have!

And wherever you've gone and wherever we might go. It don't seem fair. Today just disappeared.

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
I couldn't believe it when i heard this on the radio today.. things like this just shouldn't happen. I'm used to hearing about similar events from around the world, but to happen here in melbourne!!!?
I was going to go to the library this-arvo to study.. but, well... for the first time ever it feels unsafe to go to my own uni

thoughts and prayers to all injured, and their family and friends..

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Gutting - my heart sank when I heard the news this weekend..

Stay strong Australia.. big hugs for you all

The world is a small place - things effect us all and everything has a knock on effect..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Nothing about it on the major U.S. news networks yet.

My deepest sympathies to anyone who has been affected by this tragedy.

EDIT: I'm finding the story buried on the major U.S. networks now. CNN and ABC still saying Asian man, mid-30's.

[ 22 October 2002, 01:43: Message edited by: MikeGinny ]

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
My heart goes out to those affected.

I wish that everyone would live together in peace, unfortuantly mankind cant seem to do that.

Stay safe everyone.

many

Alice

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
that icy fear crept in this arvo and i called my best friend (my sister, who studies at monash) and another mate just to make sure they were all right. Only for a few minutes the Worst Shit was a possibility. It's awful that for a few people that it was more than a possiblity.

who knows their Time or Hour, hey?

/touches wood

[ 22 October 2002, 01:56: Message edited by: bender™ ]

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by bender™:

who knows their Time or Hour, hey?

There but for the grace of G-d...

{{{{Melbourne Friends}}}

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
This just knocked the shit out of every one here.

It's true the world has grown smaller, but at the same time it has also become more divided. I'm lost

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

fire and icemember
9 posts

Posted:
It's a fairly racist conclusion to come to Bram. I don't think it's progressive to attribute the causes of violence to people based on their race or presume that they belong to racial gangs.
I think it's important in times of tragedy to maintain a level head and think as critically as you can about the events that are unfolding.
Tragedy and shit seem to happen everyday around the world and the best way to deal with it, I find, is to surround yourself with as much love and support that you can. And that love and support will pop up even if you don't look for it.

I'm not asian but I am offended. I'm sure that there was an interplay of power dynamics in this crime but if we don't know what those dynamics were, then we shouldn't start pointing the finger.

But events like this will stay with you like scars for the rest of your life. A similar thing happened in Canada 13 years ago where a man walked into a University and gunned down 14 women. Take this opportunity to strengthen your ties with friends and families and don't let anger overcome you. It's not that helpful.

I'm sending you lots of love from the other side of the world (but not too far away).

Hang in there. Things do get better.