Forums > Technical Discussion > Super bright new streetlights

Login/Join to Participate

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
I just received my
new streetlights - theyre the new fluro yellow-green ones. They are absolutely insanely bright- even in daylight. Highly recommended! Now all i have to do is protect the B*****s - anyone know where i can get small quantities of polycarb tubing plus rubber end caps in the UK? My googling so far just takes me to complicated trade site that would just laugh at me.. redface

Tomorrows World isnt on anymore...Does that mean its tomorrow now?

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Written by: Melemel

My googling so far just takes me to complicated trade site that would just laugh at me..

make up a VAT number, email them, call yourself Microtron Trading and ask for a sample for your business.

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
Really? Are you serious? If so i'll go for it. But obviously i'd have to give my home address.. And with the name of my house being "******" Cottage, it'd be a bit a of a giveaway i reckon.

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
Written by: Pigeon_Wigeon

flowtoys or neonhusky?
so..www.flowtoys.com or www.neonhusky.com

No, technomoves

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
nah, plenty of people have their home as their registered address. Don't make up a VAT number till they ask you, but make up a company name. You can say that you purchase on behalf of agents who sell glowsticks and flashing novelties at events and have had people ask for flashing poi. Dependant on price you'd be looking at a minimum order of 500. May take a few phone calls, but i beleive in you smile

I managed to get some free glowsticks a few years ago from a distribution company, it's worth their while to take the gamble and send free samples on items which cost pence to make

Melemelmember
114 posts

Posted:
Thanks Flid, i may give it a try. I also got some free glowsticks sent to me recently - just because i enquired after details of them and said i was interested in a bulk purchase. This wasnt a blag and i was seriously looking into selling them at parties, so it was nice to receive some samples. (As it happens though the glowsticks were rubbish..shame)

Curvenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
Have you streetlights got the 'trip' or the 'steady on' mode? Mine have only the 'steady on' and its not as cool as the trip mode

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
Any aquarium shop will be able to help you... the clear, flexible tubing (silicone based, I think) they use is ideal. One of the standard sizes fits streetlights perfectly snugly, and protects them well. Even if the streetlight inside the tubing breaks, it continues to work and be held together by the tubing! You can buy as short a length as you like, too smile

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

robertsBRONZE Member
91 posts

Posted:
has anyone used ilumix led light sticks? they carry them at technomoves.com . i thought about trying streetlights but i dont want to spend the money just to have them break. i was wondering what the diameter of the sticks were. id like to drop them into a polycarb tube but i dont want to spin anything over an inch in diamenter. actually if i could find something that would fit in 3/4 in. tube that would be ideal.

if anyone orders Merlot, i'm leaving.

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
According to my research the Streetlights are about 3/4 inch in diameter which would mean you'd need an inch tube to fit them in with the neccessary padding. I've been looking into building a glow staff and was looking to import a load of streetlights (makes it cheaper). What do you guys think the demand would be like for resale in the UK? Also does anyone know of anywhere in the UK that already stocks streetlights?

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

polytheneveteran
1,359 posts

Posted:
here is the cheapest place I found... they'll ship a pair (or as many fit into the standard US mailing envelope) for $5 p&p.

The optimist claims that we are living in the best of all possible worlds.
The pessimist fears this is true.

Always make time to play in the snow.

zeuyaBRONZE Member
22 posts

Posted:
hey,
i've got a gig in a theatre in about a month, but my current glo poi are really not very glo'ey! i need something super bright. i have a aerotech staff which fits the bill, but its gotta be poi, and they're not making their poi version anymore frown
this is getting kinda urgent, cos i've gotta practice with them too!
help?!?!