Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > hyperloops / airwraps - whats the trick???????

Login/Join to Participate

tobblenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
I've been practicing these for too long not to have them taped. 50% of the time they work and the other 50% its just a tangled mess. They seems to be a bit easier with sock / material poi but chains and ropes still frustrate! Whats the trick or is it just hours of practice?!?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
boss, boss - de plane, de plane!

wink

look at which poi is leading into the airwrap, and make sure it is the one leading on the exit.
if that don't work try me again and i'll give you the full breakdown of how i teach an airwap, and all the understanding of the knacks that i know.

(just uberbusy right now, so can't post in detail)

R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
[Old link]

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

tobblenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
Hyperloop is coming on but I understand the airwrap is the easier of the two! Getting into the airwrap doesn't seem to be a problem but the poi just spin thereaftert until they eventually loose momentum and its a tangeld mess again. I get into the airwrap from the anti-clockwise windmill, where should me hands be to come out?

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Don't move your hands when doing an airwrap, as long as your poi remain nice and taut they should pop straight out.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
the trick is to pray to the god to let your poi confuse and bend the known laws of physics!!! nah its just practice, figuring out the best angle and position of your hands etc

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

Catsmiomember
37 posts

Posted:
Pictures are worth a thousand words. Videos a whole lot more.
https://domorepoi.com/poi_fire_spinning_lesson_hyperloop.php

I still have yet to master this....

"Don't be so humble, you are not that great."

infinitemember
110 posts

Posted:
follow through with your hands like they havnt met on the strings, like let them hit but continue your one hand upwards and your other hand downwards. this is for wallplane airwraps.

dont make peoples heads turn, give them whiplash.

BoomShankarGOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
I learnt by not doing any other poi moves for quite a long time..
For the hloop in the video above the best thing I found to concentrate on is only using the first poi that enters the hloop (which also exits first) to guide both poi through the motion by making small isolation type circles, and simply holding the other one taught. Entering from the left this would be the left poi doing the work and vice versa sunny

progger

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Written by: Catsmio

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Videos a whole lot more.
https://domorepoi.com/poi_fire_spinning_lesson_hyperloop.php

I still have yet to master this....

Jesus Christ! Domorepoi.com is awesome!!!

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Indeed, interesting 'other' site. Just a few members, like a baby HoP, good vids though.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Catsmiomember
37 posts

Posted:
Yeah it is getting more people. They have a bunch of lessons there and they have them at two speeds which is cool, so if you don't catch it the first time you can watch it in slow-mo. I love it. Forums are worth a look too.

Awww baby HoP

"Don't be so humble, you are not that great."

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
That lesson is a bit wrong, he talks about doing an even number of beats in the tangle but then exiting underarm which requires an odd number of beats, as shown in the video... Minor quibble though smile

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
you can exit under the arm with even beats... he doesnt... but you can.. umm

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
Ok, but with extra work :P

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
hours of pratise won't hurt wink

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

Teppicnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
Whats the difference between an airwrap and a hyperloop?
is a hyperloop just an airwrap done in a weave?
If so whats the best intro to a simple airwrap?

Last question :-p i can do the hyperloop like its shown in the video above and im trying to get it BTB it all goes fine until the exit, any tips for leaving it? (im not sure whether its actually a hyperloop or an airwrap im doing btb)

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
Airwraps and hyperloops are basically the same thing - poi knot up then come underdone wheil you keep them spinning.

The definition I like which seperates them is an airwarp is done with only twist and a hyperloop involes both twist and tangles.

for more info have a look at [Old link]

Maybe I should change this too something abit nicer, humm no I still think your all Ccensoredt

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
A much better thread for tangles: [Old link]

wink

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
if you read all of those thread you'd never learn a hyperloop or airwarp cos you'd be stuck infront of a computer for ever and ever and ever. what you want is a nice clear compact explanation like [Old link] tongue

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Go do something insatiable with a pineapple Tim. tongue

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
I might just do that meditate

but before I do I should mention I found a wicked l little thread about hyperloops and airwarps think it here [Old link]

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
rolleyes
ubblol

I remember you posting a link to a thread that I think you wrote about tangles. It said what a tangle was and what a twist was. Can you remember where you put it?

ubbangel

T&BBRONZE Member
Me
607 posts

Posted:
can talk now having pineapple issues help

Teppicnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
lol thanks a lot, sry to say guys but T&B's thread was pretty damn clear (maybe its just the mathematician in me)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
But the link I posted to is just pretty. (Skip the first few pages, they are full of boring crap)

biggrin

Teppicnewbie
5 posts

Posted:
ok i review, T&B's was so clear it all made sense yours ahd so much crap in it it took me ahlf the night to find it, but when i did it had EVERYTHINg i could think of even the btb stuff, cheers for them both biggrin