MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I'm working in the Neonatal ICU. I'm taking care of teeny preemie babies...

Last night one of the kids was acting all fussy. I checked him out...he wasn't sick (he's one of our healthiest patients). He's been eating like a champ. He'd been burped. He didn't have a dirty butt. (If you had a dirty butt, you'd be upset, too!)

And so my clinical impression was to look at the nurses and say "I think he needs to be loved."

So I disconnected him from his monitors and bundled him tightly...and picked him up. And he nestled his head into the crook of my neck and I rocked him gently as I sat at the table and did my work with my free hand.

Here was this tiny little person, truly innocent and truly helpless...and his head was in the crook of my neck. I couldn't help it...I fell in love with the baby. His little gurgles and murmurs and his wriggles and squirms. I'm not such a baby person; I like kids age 3 and older. But this little kid just hit those buttons. And, as a side-effect...he quieted down immediately and fell fast asleep curled up against me. I was right...he just needed to be loved.

It's amazing how quickly it happens and how powerful a stimulus an infant is. The parents here can attest, I'm sure. Of course, for me, the benefit was that once the baby was asleep, I put him down and left the rest of his care to the nurses. I do change diapers and feed babies when I'm not busy with other work because it's food for the soul, but I love that I can give them back...

...for now, anyway.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
awww doc's gettin a bit broody, heh babies are cool, they can communicate without words, dont know hate, and do the funniest things!

(although ugly babies can be a bit scary at times)

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
aaaaaaawwww

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I hate children...

Willy - is bad for your health...

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
you have no soul . . .

ture na sig

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
:dito:

Love kids. Going into teaching, so I'll have to deal with them when they hit puberty and develope a mouth. Maybe I should've gone for nursing instead wink

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Where I had my first baby was a small hospital in a rural area... they hadn't gotten as far as high tech care for premmies or other 'high care' newbies. (shipped em away if they needed seriously serious care like operations). Their standard treatment was to wrap them up and have a nurse aid cuddle them all day. Worked a treat!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

KyrianDreamer
4,308 posts

Posted:
i keep hoping that when i become a mother i will get all those hormones that make me not hate the thing when its below one year of age....

Keep your dream alive
Dreamin is still how the strong survive

Shalom VeAhavah

New Hampshire has a point....

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I've an old friend who used to be very psychologically unstable, until she had a gorgeous little girl... it sorted her head out, I think up to that point she had spent her whole life feeling like she couldn't bring herself to love someone else completely in case she got hurt. She was blessed with a little girl who has such a kind, curious, loving nature and my friend is so, so happy now.

I only get broody when I talk to her, seeing the love they share is overwhelming.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
Written by: quiet

you have no soul . . .

So I like to think. smile

Willy - is bad for your health...

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
doc lightning - you're dead on with picking up the baby. After having 3 children - all being 2 months prem, one of the key things that the nurses in the Special care unit did was to make sure that parents held & cuddled the child smile especially whilst tube feeding. They did it too while the parents weren't there (not too much) to make sure that the babies didn't miss out. The only ones that couldn't were the ones in the NICU (intensive care)
It makes such a difference to both the baby & the parents - it's very hard to leave hospital knowing your baby is staying there.
Good on you - keep up the good work smile oh & wait til you get that feeling with your own child one day

Are you up for it?
wink;)

taintedaddict
422 posts

Posted:
Yey babies are strong little critters, my brother and hisgirlfriend just had there first child 2 1/2 months prem and it hasnt been going well, but the little fighter wont give in and is slowley gaining strength smile

There are no stupid questions, only stupid answers...

DarthMeauxThe artist formerly known as Phae'xorl.
145 posts
Location: South-East Ohio (the foothills of the Appalacian M...

Posted:
As the father of an eight month old I can attest to the power of a happy, cuddley baby. My daughter Fiona has cheered many a sad person up. And Doc, I agree sometimes all a baby needs is love (don't we all though sometimes?).

"...heaven is ordering a six piece chicken nugget and getting seven...and a switchblade."

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
awwwwwww..... thats the cutest thing ive heard in ages.... awwwww!!! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

DarthMeauxThe artist formerly known as Phae'xorl.
145 posts
Location: South-East Ohio (the foothills of the Appalacian M...

Posted:
Shh, I've got a rep to uphold y'know! wink

"...heaven is ordering a six piece chicken nugget and getting seven...and a switchblade."

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
My 4mth old was only a day early but she was tiny! She weighed 6lb 6oz. you forget how small they are in the beginning, their noses still squashed against their faces awwwwwwww

and as I write this, my li'l one is on my knee, dribbling onto my hand and lap.

Nice!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
ahhhhh, now i feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

hugs all round hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug

You'll find me on the dance floor

J-Jmember
41 posts

Posted:
Right on doc L hug

I've read/heard somewhere that premature babies who are caressed or cuddled while they are in the premature care unit both gain weight faster and are released earlier than babies that aren't.

The doc may want to make some comment on this, but it makes perfect sense to me. Love nutures and encourages growth. Big hugs for everyone

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by" - Douglas Adams

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
i can see the begginings of the huggyest loveyest thread ever

here, have some more

hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug

You'll find me on the dance floor