Forums > Social Chat > Do you Spin Fire or does Fire Spin you?

Login/Join to Participate

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
This little question popped into my head after a huge beach spinning session i had yesterday. after i lit up and started pinning i completely blanked out, when they finnaly went out i snapped back to reality completly forgetting that i was just spinning.

When posing the question to a random onlooker (they come along every now and then) he told me with a very puzzled face, that i was still doing tricks, which blew me away.

So the question's im posing to you all:
-have you ever had the same experience of spinning in a complete tance?
-is it a normal thing that happens after you've been spinning for ages?
-am i goin insane.... well insaner?

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
you're insane... ubbloco

*kidding* hehehe biggrin

it's pretty normal to go into a kind of trance...though completely forgetting what you were just doing is a bit scary!! eek

*sits & waits for other opinions*

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Yeah I go in trances when I spin. I think it's a normal thing. Don't worry PyroMonkey, I don't think you're going insane! smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Are we talking about sinning poi here?

'Cos I feel much more relaxed with spinning fire poi than with staff..... shrug

no trances though...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

mykrmeburning from inside
165 posts

Posted:
ooohh - that's just the thing I love when fire spinning - it's not a real trance though....it's just that feeling that there's no world around you...only you and the sound of fire and the heat of fire and the light...and you in the middle...nothing else exists....

and that title question....In my opinion, we - me and fire - spin each other simultaneously.... biggrin

that's YOUR opinion...

from fire we´re born, to fire we return...

HeadSwimGOLD Member
...curiously lost
580 posts

Posted:
nope the monkey has gone insane tongue

no honestly you are totally mad!! ubbloco

nah just kidding to see if YOU like being embarrassed ya lil tyke wink hug

Nothing is easy.......until you can do it! biggrin

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
no, but I have started wondering if the poi are merely spinning where they will, and my arms are just doing what the poi tell me....

at least, that's what I told the judge....

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
ALLIWANNADOISBURNEVERYTHINGITOUCH!!!

**coughcough**
excuse me, just a little outburst.
im not insane, at least i dont think so.....

seems like the fire is taking over us all.
not that i mind that much.

smile

PyroMonkeyGOLD Member
b...bal...lence?....
370 posts

Posted:
ahhhh, nice work headswim

just figured out why you wanted to embaress me!!
hehe

SPAM!! wink

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
yeah,welcome to the normalcy of playing with fire.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

Sezzernewbie
3 posts

Posted:
its amazing how invovled you can become in your spinning eh? I remember when one of my poi broke.. the wick went flying into the bush covering the fence... and the bush was alight.. and i stood there.. amazed by the fire... Luckily there were people there to tend to my moment of insanity!

I loves me poi! Loooooves me poi!

racingkitty69BRONZE Member
35 posts

Posted:
I've done the same thing. I wasn't spinning fire, as it isn't easy to get the stuff for fire poi at my FOB in Iraq. Rather, I had a bundle of chemlights on the end of some 550 cord (I was waiting for my care package with my beaming poi to get here) for each hand, and I was just goooooooone. I didn't realize that my platoon sergeant had been standing there for a couple of minutes just watching me go to town. When I saw him standing there, he just said "You're pretty good." Then he walked off.

I'm glad it wasn't my 1SG who walked up on me. He would have had me going to take a drug test on the spot (I'd have passed easily, but it's still an inconvenience), as he hates my guts....LOL.

Helen

Though I fly through the valley of death, I shall fear no evil, for I am at 80,000 feet and climbing.

Ravers don't stumble and fall, we trip and roll!!!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I hypnotise myself when I'm juggling globalls. On the pier in Hastings saturday night and I was juggling for 30 mins without realising it. loads of glowsticks about but only me juggling. Only broke my self induced hypnosis when a drunk dude bumped me and i finally dropped a ball, was wicked fun...

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

LemonkeyStalking amidst the desert, carrying an oversized scalpel...
1,019 posts

Posted:
I blame the fumes of the fuel.

Willy - is bad for your health...

Sche3067BRONZE Member
stranger
1 post

Posted:
maybe you were so focused that your brain shut off your short term memory

81LLBRONZE Member
pant crafting
97 posts

Posted:
it doesnt happen when youre trying out new/hard stuff - you have to be aware of yourself, your surroundings and your toys coz your body hasnt developed the muscle memory to do it without your conscious efforts

No air drumming - Bruford could change the timing up so fast you could snap your wrist!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
My brain's always shut down wink wow that's an old post laugh3

I got bit by invisible and absent fire last night.... bad latent heat capacity! mad

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

CrazyMeBRONZE Member
stranger
22 posts

Posted:
i had my first burn on tuesday and all i remeber was getting handed the staff by my best friend who had been spining for 3 years and stared at it for aminute and went to town, i totally agree with mykrme, the light, the sound, the heat, its unlike anything i have ever felt and i kind of went into a trance, and i didnt hit myself once, meanwhile not even a hour after i was praticing myself and hitting all the same spots lol, but while i was burning i didnt hit myself once, i was pulling off moves i felt comfortable with, yet thought i might mess up but making them look amazing and catching throws i thought i was drop, it is an amazing thing that does seem like a trance *sorry for the rant* lol it was my first burn, i'm sure you all remeber what that was like tongue2 i still have the adrenalin flowing through me XD and my dad is getting me my own staff as a sweet sixteen birthday present grin *happy happy happy!*
EDITED_BY: CrazyMe (1247719221)

Pie Cake Spork Avocado Guacamole Cheese Cake FIRE!

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I'd have to say it depends on where you do it. In Australia I spin fire, but in Soviet Russia it's another matter entirely.

Kupo!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
In 1957 Jack Kerouac wrote in "On The Road",

"They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes 'Awww!' "

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i saw something the other day about people going into trances when they perform their training like the best weight lifters go into a trance when the lift etc etc

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

culp5945SILVER Member
Iain C.
3 posts

Posted:
I call it the performance high... it's good... makes me awfully hungry though