Forums > Social Chat > The thread that makes your brain burn...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Have you ever had one of those questions that just dont really seem to have an answer? A question that you spend hours thinking about but just cant seem to come to a conclusion? A good example would be in "The Matrix" when the oracle asks Neo if he would have broken the vase if she hadnt told him about it. Well, this is a place for those questions. Pitch them here and who knows? Maybe someone out there will have an answer. ubbidea

Alright, heres some simple ones to start off with:

1)If there was no air, would planes still fly?
2)What would it really feel like to have a tail?
3)What came first, the chicken or the egg? (one of my personal favourites)

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Twice the length from the middle to the end biggrin

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Written by: bing!

ok ive got a question. as we look up in the sky we see the stars as they were millions of years ago. so if we were magically transportedto those stars right now we would see the earth (assuming we had a good enough telescope) as it was millions of years ago, so we would be able to see dinosaurs etc. if we went further we would be able to see the creation of the earth and if we went further still (billions of light years away) we would eventually get to the point of seeing the big bang. what would happen if we went that big further? what would we see?

there?

well, as space is expanding, and every thing is getting further away from every thing else, and the further away you are from something the faster it moves away from you (the analogy s galaxies are pennies glued to a balloon, the baloon expands but the pennies do not, (galaxies masses, and gravitational fields stopping them from expanding and all))

some parts of space are moving away from eachother faster than the speed of light (nothing can travel faster i know, but it is not traviling it is streching and they are all in the same frame, as the universes tehm selves do not strech)

there becomes a horizon distance that we will never be able to see past, as the fabric that the light wave travels along moves away faster than the light can come towards us, thus we can not see beyond a certian point in time, or space, thus the big bang will never be seen smile
EDITED_BY: Lavatwilight (1122852806)

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Ahh somone else knows it. Well i suppose everyone does.
Thats the kind of thing the caretaker in our school teaches us.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
Written by: linedo patio

if everything in the universe is orbiting something else isnt it possible that eventually the sum of all those rotational orbits could push an object pass the speed of light in relation to a truely stationary object? tongue

a truly stationary object would be seen to be moving, as the universe expands around it.

every thing is truly stationary from its own point of refrence any way smile
and C still holds as a constant

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
Vampyricacid:
If you made a box of one way mirrors, and you were on the inside, it would look as if you were in a box made of glass. To everybody else, it would look like a box made of mirrors.
And apparently, a biscuit goes soft when it's left out, while a cake goes hard. I haven't been able to find out which category Jaffa Cakes fall under because I always eat them before they go off.

A question of my own:
I can armarda dupla over bins, front somersault over crash mats and dash vault over picnic benches. So why can't I do any of these moves when there's no obstacle? Surely they should be even easier?

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
but quad, if the reflective surfaces are on the inside....

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: Brit_Joe

lol, men have nipples( and breast tissue) bwcause in the womb we are all born as default female...thena fter a certain ammount of time we get a sufdden rush of whats it called...the man hormone and we turn into men. We also have gills in the womb but we loose them for crappy lungs...shame

how can you be born if you're still in the womb?

sorry to be pernickety but the sex of a baby is actually determined at conception by the man's genes.

50% of the spermatozoa are XY carriers (male), they swim fast, but are weakened sooner, and die within 2 days, and the other 50% are XX carriers (female), which swim slowly, but live longer, about 4-5 days.

oh one other thing- water only seems blue as it reflects the light off the sky.

yes I know lots ubblol

There's your science lesson for today!

No talking in the back!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
the speed of light issue always bugs me. basic (lets just stick tothat for now) pyhsics says and object will remain at rest unless acted upon by an external force...now lets slip into the world of schrodingers cat and get a bit philosophical.
If you were travelling at the speed of light (suppose) holding a tennis ball. and threw it forward. How fast would the tennis ball travel? It was travelling at light speed...and giving an additional force to push it forward.
Would it travel faster than light or float where you left it?...
More a thought experiment than a question and one we had to do back at school 10 years ago.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
Dude, you're forgetting your time dilation. As you aproach light speed, time slows down (so c is still constant). If you actually reached light speed (and I somehow doubt you would without dying) time would stop progressing, so you be unable to actually throw the ball.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
true but it's a thought experiment like schrodingers cat...based on quantum...i mean schrodingers experiment is only meant to work if nothing can penetrate the box and no-one opens it to look. a complete impossibility (along with the fact that the cat; in reality would be dead as there is no "half alive half dead" state of grey) The process is meant to create a questioning nature. time would slow but not stop (else light would get nowhere by defintion and would be slowest thing in the universe) therefore the ball would "be able" to be thrown or pushed or given the tiniest amount of forward force/momentum/velocity (chose what you will) and that would mean it SHOULD be travelling faster than the light if only for the tiniest fraction of a given time period before external forces altered speed or trajectory. but WOULD it???

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
ah yeah i forgot about the time bit smile

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
oh yeah bryn have you got the shroedingers cat t-shirt yet?

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
also i'm still confused by the theory of spin thingy

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
well actually toast lies buttersidedown because normal tables are only high enough for it the do half a turn...however if you eat ontop of your fridge then it would land butterside up smile

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
Relativity

The Speed of light is not a constant, see here, i hope this explains it, im tired, its late, sleep good, night!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vampyricacid

but quad, if the reflective surfaces are on the inside....

But think of how it works. If you try to look through from the reflective side you cant see through but light from your side is being reflected back at you aswell as being let through to the other side. So the reflective side lets light out ( to the non reflective side ) but wont take it in from the non reflective side.

So if the reflective sides were on the inside the box would let light out but wouldnt let it in so it would look like a black box.

My thoery on the toast is the buttered side is more aerodynamic since the melted butter fills in the little holes in the bread. Its aerodynamic shape combined with the weight allow the buttered side to fall faster and. Since the lighter non buttered side would cause too much drag with the little holes it will lagg behind, this causes the toast to flip so the aerodynamic shape falls first.

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
I just thought of another one. Lets see who gets it but it works better if its asked person to person.

I have two coins. The value of the two add up to 30 cent, 10 cent isnt one of the coins.
What 2 values do the coins have?

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
nope i havent got the schrodinger tee its wayyy to expensive, i will just ware it in my mind.

The speed of light is not constant? hummm........

ok explain this to me propperly.

ok so one of the coins isnt 10c so the other is, thus you have a 20c and a 10c peice?

why if you look at the stars to they appear to move away from eachother. (yes i am perfectly sober)

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
2 way mirros are polarised, ithink, so you would get the polarised light out, and then, the rest would be reflected back inside, not being able to escape, so you wouldnt see anything inside the box......maybe

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
Well spotted, Vampyricacid, the speed of light is NOT a constant. How else can you explain the "bending" of light as it changes medium?
And yet again, you're forgetting time dilation. Look again at your nice diagram. The distance the light has travelled appears different in each direction, yet the time taken is the same. How? I'm sure you already know that
speed = distance / time
The speed of light can and does remain constant because time itself slows down / speeds up in relation to speed. I'm not talking thought experiments here. I'm talking actual measurements. Here, have a look at this time dilation experiment.

Oh, man, I've had enough of trying to explain relativity. It's almost as counterintuitive as quantum mechanics, superstring theory or reasoning with chavs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you were inside a one - way mirror box, and all the mirrorred surfaces face inwards, it would be as if you were in a box made of mirrors. If there was no internal light source, it would, as Spiderbaby said, seem like a black box. If there was an internal light source, you would see your reflection a lot, and to everybody outside the box, it would look like you were in a glass box.
If the mirrors faced the other way, the box would behave like I already said it does.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

And on the bread front, you could try buttering a variety of bread products and dropping them. Croutons would be interesting to observe.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
smile thank you, yeah i need to remember my time dialtion bits, and i was thinking purly in free space for constant speeds,
QM i can grasp, will be fluid with in 3-4 years time.

and the mirrored box, i was thinking about trapping light in the box, so moving the other mirros in to place before the light could escape and see what happens, altho a very very difficult thing to do of cause

Kyle Mclean-
A) it does feel as good

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
if i am to fail, and succeed, what have i done?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lavatwilight

any one have any ideas no mathmatical, as to why you can never reach the speed of light if you have a mass, ie your not a photon?

Yes. The faster you go, the more mass you have. Your mass actually goes up as your speed increases. (this is all with respect to some observer somewhere who we'll designate as "stationary," as opposed to "stationery," which is a random greeting card that happens to be moving faster than light, but it's so cheesy that nobody cares).

Anyway, as you approach the speed of light, your mass begins to increase asymptotically so that the amount of energy required to accelerate you from, say a meter per second slower than the speed of light to half a meter per second slower than the speed of light is much greater than the energy required to accelerate you from stop to 1/2 meter per second.

This effect has been measured, BTW, in gravitational experiments using satellites.

It gets even creepier, though. Suppose you and I start moving away from each-other and a neutral observe, say, Malcolm, is standing in the middle.

Malcolm will see me moving away from him ---->thattaway at, say, 95% of the speed of light. And he'll see you moving away from him <----thattaway at the same speed. So from his point of view we're moving away from each-other at about 1.9 times the speed of light.

BUUUUUT...time slows down the faster you go. Meaning that an observer watching me zip past on my spaceship will notice that I seem to be moving veeeeerrrrryyyyy sllloooooowwwwllly as I go about my business within the spaceship. And I'll seem to think that he's moving about his life awfully quickly.

The result of this is that if I look at your ship, which Malcolm will think is moving away from me at 1.9 times the speed of light, I'll think that I'm moving away from Malcom at 0.95 times the speed of light and I'll think that you're moving away from me at about .99999 times the speed of light.

So no matter what, I can't observe an object moving faster than 99.9999999999999999999999...% of the speed of light with respect to me, even if I can observe an object moving 1.9999999999999... times the speed of light with respect to something else.

Wierd, huh?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vampyricacid

Relativity

The Speed of light is not a constant, see here, i hope this explains it, im tired, its late, sleep good, night!

This example is wrong. The observer on the outside of the train would not see light moving at a different speed. The observer would see the rider all squashed up closer to the seat in front of him and the light would appear to cover a shorter path. See, the outside observer would see the light move a shorter distance in a shorter time than the observer in the train.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
Written by: QuadDamage

Oh, man, I've had enough of trying to explain relativity. It's almost as counterintuitive as quantum mechanics, superstring theory or reasoning with chavs.

XD

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Written by: Lavatwilight

ok so one of the coins isnt 10c so the other is, thus you have a 20c and a 10c peice?

Yeah you got it. I asked loads of my friends and thet didnt see it.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Hang on, don't you have quarters? Like 25c pieces? Then you'd have 5c and 25c. Or is that just American?

What shape is the universe? I'd say the most logical shape would be spherical or disc shaped. However I have heard people say that it is doughnut shaped, and someone else say that it has straight line edges. I don't know any astronomers so...

On the other hand, can the Universe have a shape? Because a shape means that there is a difference between the inside and outside of an object, and the universe doesn't *have* an inside or outside. Therefore the Universe must be shapeless? Or is it in a sack on an old mans back?

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Wow..my brain is actually burning....

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Im talking about Euros we have only 1, 2, 5, 10 , 20, 50, and so on. haha i can fit the 1 cent coins up my nose ubblol

Yeah i think its shapeless.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I have also seen theory basing the universe in the shape of 2 cones points together expanding away towards the wide ends but i think that might just be someone trying to make a name for themselves...but It did make pretty pictures. ubblol even if the thoery had more holes in it than my socks

Depends on what you call the universe...if you are talking about an endless vacuum then i'm over my head BUT if you are talking about occupied space within the universe. ie. where there are planets and stars you could have form within space to run with the astronomers/physicists etc that calculate the expansion of the universe. (is the expansion uniform or has the velocity of universal matter changed speeds since it started to move) it's all very confusing and depends on which side of the fence you are on with regards to the number of dimensions there are. and what those dimensions are...

Page: