Forums > Social Chat > The thread that makes your brain burn...

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Have you ever had one of those questions that just dont really seem to have an answer? A question that you spend hours thinking about but just cant seem to come to a conclusion? A good example would be in "The Matrix" when the oracle asks Neo if he would have broken the vase if she hadnt told him about it. Well, this is a place for those questions. Pitch them here and who knows? Maybe someone out there will have an answer. ubbidea

Alright, heres some simple ones to start off with:

1)If there was no air, would planes still fly?
2)What would it really feel like to have a tail?
3)What came first, the chicken or the egg? (one of my personal favourites)

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
oh right
well i am not in the most awake and sciency of my heads so i will probably wait for your explanation unless i finish reading the theory of spin before you finish your shower and stuff

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Petergnewbie
22 posts

Posted:
the sky may be blue but what is blue? We may be all seeing a different colour but because we learn from babies to call that colour blue we think every ones is seeing the same as us. ubbloco

I came! I saw! I fell asleep...

lauz the caterpillagoddess of all things slimey and an interchangeable insect!
2,443 posts

Posted:
except dogs and cats ofcourse

Shhhhhh! the boobies are trying to sleep.
owner and the property of noddy.
*i was a caterpilla last night wink* - libby_tuesday

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Hang on, if C=Speed of light, then how can you have C squared? I thought you couldn't go faster than light??

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

LavatwilightGOLD Member
old hand
834 posts

Posted:
C is the speed of light yes, and nothing can go faster than it.

ok this might not be right, but it is making sense in my head, a 3D object, so it exists in the direction it is traviling in, on a 2D plane (lets say we have a cube traviling through space) so its surface area is xy since is a cube is x^2, so any energy is has is going to be spread out accross its cross section.

so any energy it has is spread accross its face, this is C^2 for the max, or something like that, i know i haevnt explained it that well

Drawings by chalk minds, strech between the stars

Kyle Mclean-
Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
All this crap is why I hate physics, there are so many equations in it we should just rename it Maths.

Written by:

You know men are originally female cos of the little seam running up... whoops.

There is a speacial name for that, its called your Peraneum I think, someone tell me if I'm wrong

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Why is Tarzan always cleanshaven?

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
The hormone which floods the womb making the fetus become male is Androgen.

Q) Where do all the odd socks go?

Are we nearly there yet?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
To a mysterious black hole in the back of your drawer that disappears as soon as you look for it. (go on, prove it doesn't happen) wink

All my socks are the same anyway, black! Then 1. They never get dirty, and 2. It doesn't matter which two you put on as they all look the same!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
it matters that they look the sam?!?!

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sethis

To a mysterious black hole in the back of your drawer that disappears as soon as you look for it. (go on, prove it doesn't happen) wink

I only ever put pairs of sock in the drawer so your theory does not explain the odd sock phenomena. I always remove socks in pairs and put the in the machine in pairs. However, when I put them away there are always odd socks left over. Could the black hole be in the washing machine?

It does not matter whether your socks match, the question is where do they go?

Are we nearly there yet?

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
The washing machine eats them silly!

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Written by: sparkey!

Why is Tarzan always cleanshaven?

Because Jane doesn't like stubble rash wink

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

rita queen of cheesemember
84 posts

Posted:
hehehehe dats a question ive never heard before smile

i wud like 2 think hes clean shaven because he uses a razor! but they didnt have them in cave man times

mmmm..... me 250 characters, bubbly, loud n i luv cheese, not quite 250 characters but hey who cares

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
Here's a question then.. If Tarzan shaves, what razor does he use?

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

bing!BRONZE Member
i beat my inner child
184 posts

Posted:
ok ive got a question. as we look up in the sky we see the stars as they were millions of years ago. so if we were magically transportedto those stars right now we would see the earth (assuming we had a good enough telescope) as it was millions of years ago, so we would be able to see dinosaurs etc. if we went further we would be able to see the creation of the earth and if we went further still (billions of light years away) we would eventually get to the point of seeing the big bang. what would happen if we went that big further? what would we see?

if a tree faslls in a forest and theres nobody to hear it, does it make a sound?

if you're not looking at something how can you prove that its really there?

--the spark what lit the flame which started the fire that burned forever--

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
well bing, that is what physists and stronomers ahave been trying to do for years, find clear bit of space and develop a strong enough piece of equipment to make philosophers unemployed

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
Noodles: Occams razor, of course wink

bing!: You can't go "futher away" outside the big bang because the entire universe is inside it. You cannot go outside the universe. That is the whole definition of it.

There's always someone in the forest, whether it's the badger wondering what that *crack* was, or the squirrel curious as to why the sky is suddenly going sideways biggrin

By holding it in your hand? You're talking to the person who thinks the entire universe disappears when you shut your eyes so... ubbrollsmile

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
if you made a box of one way mirrors (the kind you can see through one way but refeltive on the other side like police interrogation rooms...not that i'd know) and shined a light on it, would the light be trapped, would you be able to see the light inside, and if it was trapped, how could you see it?

[EDIT] heres one that'll really cook your noodle.... Jaffa Cakes - Cake or Biscuit?
EDITED_BY: Vampyricacid (1122844795)

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

You know how planes fly, right? the suction on top of the wing pulls them into the air? how do they fly upside down without both gravity and the suction (bernoulli) effect pulling them down to earth really quick?

My explaination is based on rc planes but they work on the same principles.

A simple wing has a flat underside while the top is curved. Most aircraft have a semi-symetrical aerofoil shape. This means both sides are slightly curved but the top is more curved. The wing produces more lift right-side up but will still produce lift upside-down since there is still a curve on the bottom (which is on the top since the aircraft is inverted). So with 2 curved surfaces it produces lift on both sides.

The aircraft will go into a shallow dive while inverted but the elevators ( the control surfaces on the tail) can be used to keep the plane upright.

Jaffa Cakes have to be cakes its even in the name. It just so happens they are packaged like biscuits.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
OH i hate that Ifa Tree Falls crap, yes the soud is made all sounds are air melecules being disturbed, while no one would actualy hear it it would still make a noise, just because you dont hear something dosent mean the noise wasnt made

*Slaps Occams razor* You hear that!? lol

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
whats the sound of one hand clapping? tongue

if everything in the universe is orbiting something else isnt it possible that eventually the sum of all those rotational orbits could push an object pass the speed of light in relation to a truely stationary object? tongue

back

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Slap yourself (or someone else on the cheak and thats what one hand sounds like clapping), or you could tap your left hands fingers against your left hands palm.

hah

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
I believe Bart Simpson answered the question of one hand clapping and the tree falling in the woods. Those explainations are good enough for me.

linden rathenGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
6,942 posts

Posted:
ok

why do kamakazee pilots wear helmets?

back

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
For insurance reasons.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Do thye possibly have breathing masks attached to the helmets for flight? Wouldnt be good for the pilot to pass out before it reached it target

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
Flying during WW2 would have been relatively low altitude. Planes back then were very simple so they wouldnt have had oxygen masks or they wouldnt need them either.
They didnt really wear helmets they wore a tight fitting hat with goggles attached. The hats they wore look kinda like a rugby players scrum hat.

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
1 hand clapping: Cl-

Are americans soft because they need body armour to play rugby (american football), or are we soft because we don't play hard enough to need it?

SpiderbabySILVER Member
c",
199 posts

Posted:
THEY are the soft ones.

Theres an extension being built in our school. So we were wondering what would happen if one of the cranes hooked the bottom of itself and then lifted? So far the theory we worked out is the universe would implode ubbloco ubblol

How long is a piece of string?

Page: