Forums > Social Chat > English Oral Presentation

Login/Join to Participate

TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:
Hi Everyone

I'm attempting to share my love for the Fire Arts with people in my english class for my compulsory task of an Oral Presentation. The thing is, I need a bit of history, I have a lot of stuff to say about technique, moves and equipment but not history of where the Fire Arts originated from, where poi and staff came from to the earliest recordings. If anyone can give me any information, even if it's a setence or something, anything would be useful. Thanks, Dave.

Ouch! Eep! Damn Leg Hair stop getting in the way!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Look at the top of the screen where it says Articles, go there. You should find something abou the history of poi. You also might want to reseach in an Encyclopidia or on the net the Murari (sp) warriors.

Also look at Chinesse, rope dart/fire dart.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
What Ray said is right on I would just like to add...

You can tie this in (always good to tie things in in essays shows usage of lateral thinking) with the fact that many martial arts and combat arts use fighting impliments similar to those of poi, staff, double staff and club juggling...

You can also talk about the culture where it originates from and its objective in native ussage... Maori...

Also you could talk about how fit you are because of it and how it helps your life in general...

The more information you pack in in the most consice way the more they will like and understand your presentation

Good luck I'm sure you will do well!

Drome

[ 17 October 2002, 15:48: Message edited by: dromepixie ]

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

Raymund Phule (Fireproof)Enter a "Title" here:
2,905 posts

Posted:
Good points Drome.

Also depending on you skill levels (since I dont know you I will pretend that you know nothing) try memorising your report and spin a little while talking. I think that would be pretty cool, it shows you not only know how to research a topic but you can also apply it.

Some Jarhead last night: "this dumb a$$ thinks hes fireproof"

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
the best article Malcolm showed me is not in the official articles list. i have not yet e-mailed the original poster to explore its validity further, but here is the thread. one of its posts is far beyond anything you will find on any fire site on the net yet. we are incorporating it into our site's history section at SoCalFire (including OrangeFire) next week.

TopHat, i'm e-mailing you the existing history story we have posted on our site, as our site doesn't serve well to NZ and might not to Oz. it's a little humorous, if that's of any use to you, and it's already more complete, mentioning 2 or 3 cultures, than any other story on the net. here at HoP you can fill it out with maori dictionary phrases if ya like.

please e-mail me a copy of any notes you get up, or even an audiocassette of your presentation, if ya can?

~ Mike

[ 17 October 2002, 17:41: Message edited by: FíreMîke ]

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US

TopHatmember
34 posts

Posted:

Big Thanks to Everyone! I didn't even think about putting a little Performance on for my class, that also brings about another idea of bringing in equipment for people to look at and maybe even have a play with. Thanks FireMike I received your email with information attached. I'll try and get a video or record it or something so that I can post it on the internet somewhere... Thanks again Everyone!

PS - Some of these Smileys have Funny Lookin' Colours.

Ouch! Eep! Damn Leg Hair stop getting in the way!

FireMikeZLaguna dude
1,438 posts

Posted:
best of luck, TopHat!

molten cheers,

~ FireMike

FireMikeZ@yahoo.com (personal messages welcome, no promo spam, please!)
Laguna, California, US