DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hey hey,

Me and Mrs Durbs are off round the world for a year (or thereabouts) in Sept/Oct time.
Just wondered, as I know there are a lot of HoPpers who've done a similar thing, what they reccomended in terms of plane tickets?
Any particularly good deals/companies or any ones to avoid?

Many thanks smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

arsnHow do you change this thing???
1,903 posts

Posted:
Valura and I haven't flown out of Australia together, but we have had many a hopper stay. So if you choose to come to Brisbane, Australia, we can offer you a nice warm bed, hot showers, and a kitchen... oh, and access to us Brisbane hoppers. biggrin biggrin biggrin

Oh, and Taj, who at the time you come, I should have taught to isolate, hyperloop and do wraps with stales off the cat's tail...*

*This may or may not be true.

I can't hear you... I have a banana in my ear.

"You mean I'll have to use my brain?... but I use staff!!!" ~ ben-ja-men

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Whimper.

Don't leave us Durbs ubbcrying

biggrin

However, if you must go, I'd advise against a round the world ticket... I met loads of people travelling on those who didn't like the fact that they had to leave a certain place at a certain time. They said it was quite restrictive.

Perhaps you could map out a rough idea of where you want to go, then get a one way ticket to the first point... and see how you go.

Getting lifts with random friends/strangers or the bus is often cheaper than flying anyways... and it's more of an adventure biggrin

Take care. We'll miss you frown hug

Getting to the other side smile

Matty_BSILVER Member
veteran
1,314 posts

Posted:
STA travel is always a good bet . . .

I looked into travelling round the world awhile ago, the only restriction is that you have to travel one way . . . it is also possible to change the dates of flights allowing you to stay in one place for as long as you like . . .
https://www.statravel.co.uk/c_yearout/roundtheworld.asp

There website is quite fun for planning routes too, even if it gives you some ideas it is worth a look ....

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Depends if you know where you want to go. Going to some places really screws up some round the world flights. I usually go to Trailfinders for my tickets. They've always offered me good advice.

Bear in mind:
round the world fares are either inflexible on route once booked, or wil charge a good deal to change the route. So have a good idea of where you want to go.
internal/local flights around places can cost very little. If doing a little side trip or a certain bit of your route pushes you over a mileage limit or flight count on your trip it's probably worth just doing some flights seperately. A RTW ticket should get you between continents but aren't always so good getting you around continents.
BA's one world doesn't have so many direction limitations, it's continent based, not mileage. So, for example, you could fly into Hong Kong, then 'back' to Bangkok.

I think that's all I can think of for now. Happy shopping! I might well bump into you somewhere out there smile

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You're coming to New York City, right? biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
If you go to NYC, then someone there needs to let me know so I can pop down for a visit!

I found the RTW to be limiting when I was looking into them. They came with hefty fees for changing dates wherever I looked and I would have been pretty much locked into destinations, which I didn't like.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Perths a good place to come too. We have wombat patting and beer and chocolate. But Adelaide has Lex and Brissie has Taj so Perth might not make it.
Maybe see you at Common Ground!

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
hint: you could make your first stop in berlin!

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Right, Pele. You'd pop down to NYC for a visit if Durbs was in, but not for me?

*pouts openly*

wink

-Mike

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
*I* would visit you Lightning if I lived that close. ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

pokes pouty bit

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
smile

Well, the planned route is:
India (Maybe nipping into Tibet overland), Thailand, Malaysia, Australia (6 months), New Zealand and then...not sure.
Linda fancies South/Central America which for some reason doesn't really hold much appeal for me. I would personally prefer to drop into North America and see some of it properly, maybe do a road trip or something. However, the USA is alot more expensive than South or Central and as it's the last stop, money will definitely be getting tight.

Should be fun though biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yeah, but it's New York F*cking City! biggrin

-Mike

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Trailfinders. Definitely go talk to Trailfinders, they are really helpful and can work out flight routes to suit a budget.

When we went travelling round Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore we booked flight out to Bangkok then back from Singapore 2 months later. We worked our way down through Thailand and Malaysia across land on buses and trains, making it up as we went along. I would definitely recommend it if you have the energy. The trains are slow, but you get to see a lot of the rural bits you would otherwise miss, plus it's much cheaper than flying. We got chatting to so many travellers and locals on the way. Whenever we found a place we really liked, we would stay there for a few days. There is something terribly romantic about taking a slow train through all those paddy fields and mangroves near sunset...

good times and safe travels, wherever you go! hug

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
If u need some where to stay in Zimbabwe(its perfectly safe to visit and brillant place to see).,... let me or TADPOLE know!!
With tickets etc, always make sure u get a ticket that is changable or at least part refundable. You never know if u going to need to change or move a flight, even by a day.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Neeeeeewwwww Yooooooooooorrrrrrrk!

ubbrollsmile

-Mike

ChumpyBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
I went with STA Travel and flew with Virgin Atlantic, Air New Zealand and Singapore airlines. Changing dates was easy, and changing routes wasn't too much of a hassle (Except you have to find an STA or airline office to do it). Had no problems with it at all. And if you leave at the begining of September it's a bit cheaper as well. £1100 a ticket.

My only other advise is goto Fiji and Rarotonga, fire dance with the locals....coz those are some mad dancers. Goto to Naviti island (Fiji) and say Hi to Moses for me wavehello And on Raro watch them do fire-knives!

Health is a secondary consideration when you have a lifestyle to maintain

Not seen a Banana do Double staff in the woods? You obviously weren't at that party!

'my guess would be staffers dont waste time talking bollox' - strugz

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
STA aren't everywhere though... I think they only have one or two offices in the whole of SE Asia.

Getting to the other side smile

TheWibblerGOLD Member
old hand
920 posts

Posted:
Hey Durbs, you and me both. Time to ditch the uk, I'll be in New Zealand for 6-12 months, so maybe we'll hook up somewhere.

Take it easy, happy travels,

m

Spherculism ~:~ The Act of becoming Spherculish.

MrConfusedBRONZE Member
addict
529 posts

Posted:
If you´re planning on taking over a year for the travels, don´t go with a round the world ticket (from STA, at least). I think it´s fairly common that you have a 12 month limit on all flights, and you have to start and finish in the same place. If you´re going to be away for less than a year, they´re pretty good value and easy to change flight dates (don´t know about destinations). As has been mentioned, go overland within countries/continents if you have the time, you get a much better impression of a place that way.

J

If you're not confused, you're not thinking about things hard enough.