Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I was messing around with my poi today when I thought of something but can't for the life of me think of a name for it. Its basically a Butterfly where every second rotation you move your hands apart so that the heads pass one in front of the other on the downward part of the swing. Its not an isolation (as far as I know). Does anyone know if it has a name?

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
you can do it in a way that it is like an isolation, [ie. by displacing the 'weight' of the poi]. But i'm not sure as to whether it has an actual name or not.

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
sounds a little like thread the needle. but im not sure.

do your hands pass in front of, then behind each other, so that on one downward stroke, your right hand will be in front, then next downward stroke, its your left?

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I think its TTN but splitting your hands so the heads of the poi (rather than your hands) cross opposite sides in the middle.

I love things like this. They look really cool and for some reason 'feel' really nice to do. They also confuse the hell out of non-spinners biggrin

You can do this to loads of 'not moving' tricks.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I don't think its TTN as (correct me if I'm wrong) TTN is done with split swinging. This is simply a butterfly where you flick your hands out to the sides and the heads pass right next to each other, your hands return back as they started (ie into a normal butterfly). I have started doing it with TTN but I originally thought of it doing a normal butterfly. I'll try and make a video to show you exactly what I mean.

Most people don't actually comprehend all the subtle touches you can add to even the most basic moves. Its fantastic. I love doing a weave but isolating the outside spin (the one where the poi are ontheir normal sides), it looks absolutely crazy.

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
I know that one I saw it on a website and couldnt beleive I hadnt thought of it its so simple, ill grab the web site and see what he called it...one sec

ok here it is https://www.motsplace.com/poi/Lowsplit.html
he called it the Low Split
EDITED_BY: Brit_Joe (1122766372)

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Thanks, its been bugging me for ages.

Cool site btw