Forums > Social Chat > don;t make your whips like this

Login/Join to Participate

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
k. there's a recipe for making whips on this page https://www.csu.edu.au/faculty/arts/commun/cycle/manual/fire/whips.htmthe
design has a major flaw. the rope will wick fuel up into the handels if left to soak for a long time. i used a set in a show on saturday, and ended up spending four hours in emergency getting my hands treated for 2nd degree burns (i've earned my naem now, if i hadn;t before). I'd suggest rigging them so there's a piece of chain a few inches long leading to handles to eliminate the wicking effect. caveat.
Non-Https Image Link

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

protozoaGOLD Member
148 posts

Posted:
Ugh, Dangerboy, how horrible!! I hope everyone on this board is testing their tips before passing them on; please for safety's sake!DB I'm sorry to hear you were injured; what's the prognosis for recovery?

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
oh dear god. what a shitty shitty experience. you should most definately email these guys and let them know what happened to you and urge them to change their online design so this doesn't happen to others... :-(

adamricepoo-bah
1,015 posts

Posted:
Did you notify the author of that page? I'm impressed you are even up to typing here.

Laugh while you can, monkey-boy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Dear Dangerboy, you have all my thought and wishes for a speedy recovery! I too have seen those instructions and wondered so I never used them. Now I wish I had've said something. Please notify them..once your hands heal that is babe.Take care of yourself and be well soon!------------------Pele Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

SimosBRONZE Member
enthusiast
384 posts

Posted:
i guess there's not much i can say apart from 'get well soon' Dangerboy...that really sucks man, i feel extra bad about it too since i've seen that page a long time ago and thought it was dodgy but because i didn't have any experience with fire at the time i didn't say anything - i wish i had done now...the reason i didn't like it was the fact that their poi design involves using metal tubing instead of wire or chain...i don't have a clue if that works or not but nevertheless i found it very strange...if i remember correctly they had another design for fire balls which looked more like poi than their 'poi' design but i wouldn't partcularly like to swing 2 balls wrapped in chicken wire unless i wanted a fast mesh tattoo...also the designs lack detail in general, especially as far as connections are concerned which are safety critical...i hope everything turns out ok D-Boy (yeah you've earned the name now even in this way),get well soon,Simos

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
oh that sucks =( the fastest thing I know of to heal burns is fresh aloe vera plant. it does wonders even overnight.

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
thanx gang! therer is no auhor listed on the page. i may go back and have another look though. i'd made the whips like that before and they worked, but i didn't leave them soaking so long. still, not an excuse for the site author. the prognosis on the fingers is ok. they don;t hurt anymore, and not that i took the enourmous dildo-like bangaes off (i had six dildos on my hands for two days; wasn;t about to wait for the doc to take them off), they are pretty usable. i'm sure i'll be spinning in a matter of days. 'sides, i got to take to day off work today, so it's not all a bad smile------------------Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

Finnmember
341 posts

Posted:
Dangerboy,It's Charles Sturt University here in Australia. www.csu.edu.au/index.htmlThis is a link to the unniversity's internal directory www.csu.edu.au/search/csucomms.htmlYou really should contact them. Their designs leave out way too much information for them to be safe. They will have public liability insurance. Maybe you can claim the cost of your medical bills.I hope you're doing alright. smile Thanks for letting us know how dangerous the whips are.Finn smile

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Ouchhh!! Hope your pinkies are mending quickly.Noods

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Here you go...Bill Blaikie, bblaikie@hotmail.comFound it at the bottom of the parent page https://www.csu.edu.au/faculty/arts/commun/cycle/manual/Speedy
healing,Diana

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
Thanks.i sent him an email expressing my concerns and suggestig a redesign. hopefully he'll take it to heart.

gάrbǿaddict
521 posts
Location: Bristol / London / Norwich / Chennai, India (UK) (...

Posted:
SORRY MAN. think I was the one who suggested the site. Were shown to me by some guy who said that he used then.didn't realise they were dangerous.will check personally before recommending again. soz againpeace outgarbo tongue

be excellent to each other: safe:

TaiGuymember
127 posts

Posted:
Bummer...that must suck.. 2nd degree burns? At least 3rd degree burns you wouldn't be able to feel, but i guess we should be thankful. *OwCh* how fast did it catch alight? Did you have time to drop the ropes? ------------------"Happiness is not a destination, but a method for life"- Burton Hills

The reason communism doesn't work is because people like to own stuff

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
ohhhhh shit!!!recover soon.is there anything we can do to change this web-side???somebody with an idea?i'm not a computer genius,but we should do something,if possible.

frank bentzin

Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
Goes with the name man. Thanks for warning us and recover quickly. Rain.