Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > 5, 6 & 7 Beat Weaves!! Help!!

Login/Join to Participate

Darkylnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
weavesmiley Ugh!! I've got the 2, 3 & 4 beat weaves now but i can't get the 5, 6 & 7 beat weaves!! Can someone enlighten me?? weavesmiley

Thanx!

Pleasepleaseplease someone help me! I sooooooooooo badly want to be good at poi!!

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
What I did was do it slowly with only one poi at first and chase it with an imaginary poi instead, til you get used to the rhythm.
ubblol at frostypaw!

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
if you can do the 4 you can do the 5.

4 is when you only put the extra bit on one side, 5 is when you can do it on both.

as for 6 + 7 beats....they are just scary! I can't move my arms like that and be honest there are a lot more fun useful things that you can learn!

mtbeerGOLD Member
ARRRR!
529 posts

Posted:
Cheat, that's what I do. Throw in some thru wraps, isolated outside spins , buzzsaw variations, elevation changes, different hand positions, giants, windmills and flowers. Mix it up and don't think of it as a 7,9,11 beat weave, just go with the flow. Variety is much more interesting than a stock 5 or 7 beat weave.

"My skin is singed but it heals my heart and with glowing pride I'll wear my scars." -Davey Havok

MiGGOLD Member
Self-Flagellation Expert
3,414 posts

Posted:
all right. at the risk of being flamed and beaten and blown up and hung and having paper planes thrown at me, here is, what i think and hope will be the easiest description of a 4 beat, then a 5 beat weave.

Now, my definition for a beat in a weave is when the poi hits the bottom of the circle. it may not be technically correct, it may have shortcomings when you start playing jedi mind tricks, but it works for weaves, and thats what im trying to teach.

ok, so you're doing the three beat weave, right? now, and this is for the left side
THREE BEAT WEAVE - LEFT SIDE
1)right hand comes over, poi starts going down. at bottom of circle, (beat 1)
2)left hand comes over, when the poi of the left hand gets to the bottom of the circle (beat 2)
3)right hand is at the top of the circle. when the right hand gets to the bottom (beat 3), with the left at the top, the left swings across the body, and the cycle starts again.

Thats the three beat, as i see it

If i have lost anyone, pm me and let me know, and i will try, really, really hard, to get a movie, or a gif or something. with different coloured sock poi, and in a very exaggerated way of doing things

Ok, to clear up the confusion as to how 3/4/5 beat weaves happen, yes, you can do a sustained four beat weave. no threes, no fives, no tangles. It happens like this:

FOUR BEAT WEAVE, LEFT SIDE
2)left hand comes over, when the poi of the left hand gets to the bottom of the circle (beat 2)
3) right hand is at the top of the circle. when the right hand gets to the bottom, (beat 3) with the left at the top, instead of moving the left over to the other side, go towards the bottom of the circle again.
4) At this point, if you are anything like me, you're going 'nope, thats gonna end in tears'. dont worry, it wont, and this next bit is important
5)as the left hand starts travelling down, try to have your wrists cross at about a 90 degree angle, with the right arm parallel to the body, and the left running front to back.
6)as left is getting toward bottom of circle, and right getting towards top, kinda 'push' the left hand away from your body, while at the same time, bringing the right hand across the body. (beat 4)

(I found, when learning, that it helped to 'flick' the right hand across, and hope for the best. a cricketer's box may be handy, if you are worried and/or using hard poi.)

now, for the other side of the four beat weave.
FOUR BEAT WEAVE, RIGHT SIDE
1) right hand is coming across, poi heading downward. (beat 1) The left hand comes across at the same time, because its crossed with the right hand. the left poi is still on your left side, doing the fourth beat.
2) as right poi hits top of circle, left poi comes across, just like the three beat, but the hands come across in a different order. (beat 2) At this point, your hands will uncross.
3) as hands uncross, the right hand comes down to the bottom (beat three)
4) bring the left poi to the bottom of the circle (beat 4), then cross the right poi over, to begin the cycle again.
if you complete it all without recrossing (basically doing a 3 beat, but with the extra uncross beat), then you will have a four beat weave.

The assymetric part comes from the fact that on one side, the hands cross over, (left side, in this example), then on the other side, they uncross, without recrossing. And yes, you can do this the other way around, but im more comfortable with it on my left side. just swap left and right around

Now, from a four beat weave, a five beat weave is rather simple.
FIVE BEAT WEAVE, LEFT SIDE
3) right hand is at the top of the circle. when the right hand gets to the bottom, (beat 3) with the left at the top, instead of moving the left over to the other side, go towards the bottom of the circle again.
4) At this point, if you are anything like me, you're going 'nope, thats gonna end in tears'. dont worry, it wont, and this next bit is important
5)as the left hand starts travelling down, try to have your wrists cross at about a 90 degree angle, with the right arm parallel to the body, and the left running front to back.
6)as left is getting toward bottom of circle, and right getting towards top, kinda 'push' the left hand away from your body, while at the same time, bringing the right hand across the body. (beat 4)

Yes, that is only four beats. dont worry, that will change. The first side will have to be four beats, as you will see soon.

Now, on the right side, the five beats start.
FIVE BEAT WEAVE, RIGHT SIDE
1) right hand is coming across, poi heading downward. (beat 1) The left hand comes across at the same time, because its crossed with the right hand. the left poi is still on your left side, doing the fourth beat.
2) as right poi hits top of circle, left poi comes across, just like the three beat, but the hands come across in a different order. (beat 2) At this point, your hands will uncross.
3) as hands uncross, the right hand comes down to the bottom (beat three)
4) bring the left poi to the bottom of the circle (beat 4)
5) now, the right hand crosses over the top of the left hand (beat 5), and the left hand flicks over to the left side of the body.

Now its just a case of uncrossing your wrists, giving you the extra beat to make the original four into five, like this:
FIVE BEAT WEAVE, LEFT SIDE (2)
1) left hand is coming across, poi heading downward. (beat 1) The right hand comes across at the same time, because its crossed with the right hand. the right poi is still on your right side, doing the fifth beat.
2) as left poi hits top of circle, right poi comes across, just like the three beat, but the hands come across in a different order. (beat 2) At this point, your hands will uncross.
3) as hands uncross, the left hand comes down to the bottom (beat 3)
4) bring the right poi to the bottom of the circle (beat 4)
5) now, the left hand crosses over the top of the right hand (beat 5), and the right hand flicks over to the right side of the body.

Ok, that about sums it up. I hope to have a movie of this on here really soon, but between now and then, if you have any problems with this post, please dont hesitate to email me, pm me, or come around, have a cup of tea, and discuss it face to face. I think we have enough tea left..

"beg beg grovel beg grovel"
"master"
--FSA

"There was an arse there, i couldn't help myself"
--Rougie

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Written by: MiG

all right. at the risk of being flamed and beaten and blown up and hung and having paper planes thrown at me, here is,

*Prepares a pile of paper planes*

muhahahahaha......

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

SassfireGOLD Member
15 posts

Posted:
That above explanation was sooo helpful! Been trying to do the four beat weave for a couple of days now and that just made me see what my arms/hands where supposed to do and when. YEA!! I can do the four beat. The five is just a simple step further...

Burn like a good bonfire.

PoiElfBRONZE Member
19 posts

Posted:
I found the video and explanation on Mots Poi Place really helpfull in learning 5 beat weave. There is also a really clear vid of 7 beat weaven (3 cirles then elbows then wrists) i have not yet tried it with poi but i can get the hand pattern.

https://www.motsplace.com/poi/list.html

Try it
Helena xx

"Mmm... I'm sure I had a tail this moring, now I've got legs!"

vazSILVER Member
2 posts

Posted:
Thank you very much.

I kept reading things about the 4/5 beat. I had no idea if what I was doing was the 5-beat, because it seemed to me to be only one step up from the 3-beat. The word ASSYMETRICAL to describe the 4-beat completely clarified that for me. I didn't really understand why you'd be doing the crossover on one side but not the other and still have 2 beats on each side, until I read that and realized that UNcrossing also adds a beat.

Thank you, that was really bugging me. :P