RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
So. Hard drive crashed yesterday and I've lost practically everything. Music, poi videos, some very precious correspondence, uni assignments, not to mention nearly every photograph I've taken since Februaryish. All the high res versions are gone for sure. About 8-10,000 pictures lovingly (or randomly) snapped with my little camera.

My own damn fault for being too lazy a sod to back things up (like sensible people do).

So yes. All gone before I even got a chance to run off a couple of shots to various photo competitions I've been meaning to enter. No matter what people say, mental photos don't really cut it.

I just ordered a new drive- $210 out the window. And the worst part is it's $210 for practically nothing more than I had the day before yesterday. Less in fact.

I might be able to return it, but a stipulation on the warranty goes "not responsible for data loss/recovery".

C'est la vie. Anyone for a coffee?
smile

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
You can recover data from a crashed or reformatted hard drive. Try www.r-tt.com or www.drivesavers.com or www.runtime.org. Most of the time its simply the table of contents thats been wiped and not the actual data on the drive (unless you've had something major go wrong like the drive actually burn out) so you should be able to get software to retreive it or send it away to get done professionally. Hope that helps. If not PM me and I'll look around and try and find something that might help more (I'm a computer science student in my spare time)

And I'll have a double espresso (I can hear my coffee maker calling...)

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Thats very very Poo Ryan. Anyway we can help?

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
hug

hope you can recover something, you're pics are an inspiration ubbrollsmile

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Written by: onefinalstep

You can recover data from a crashed or reformatted hard drive. Try www.r-tt.com or www.drivesavers.com or www.runtime.org. Most of the time its simply the table of contents thats been wiped and not the actual data on the drive (unless you've had something major go wrong like the drive actually burn out) so you should be able to get software to retreive it or send it away to get done professionally. Hope that helps. If not PM me and I'll look around and try and find something that might help more (I'm a computer science student in my spare time)

And I'll have a double espresso (I can hear my coffee maker calling...)

Thanks for the advice, but already checked out data recovery services.. Sample quote "$350 if it's a software problem.. $2400 minimum if it's a hardware problem.." And the problem is that the drive motor's not spinning up.

I've started the process to send it back to Samsung, but in all likelihood, it'll come back to me blank as ten blank things.

I thought of opening it up and rescuing the platter, but knowing me I'd probably irreparably damage it. At least I've got 10% chance of getting it back perhaps with some data still on it.. seeing how it's under warranty.

I'll definitely keep you posted though. Will be interesting to find out how these sorts of situations fix themselves..

Gnor: Thanks for being a sweetheart, but it's up to the discretion of the great chocolate wombat in the sky now.. wink

FoxInDocsSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,848 posts

Posted:
Written by: onefinalstep

...or send it away to get done professionally.

dude... do you Know how much that would cost!? *shakes head*...what do they teach you in these universities? tongue

"i am exotic, and must keep my arms down" - Rougie

"i don't understand what penises have to do with getting married" - Foxie

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
arg hug

am gona back up my stuff now

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
This is a good reason to send me a print of all your fabulous pictures biggrin. For those times when the big chocolate wombat in the sky has a bad nose hair day and frags our thingies.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I have the software on my external harddrive to do it myself and I use macs so there's little chance of me needing to use it. I was the IT rep for the halls of residence that I was in and had to recover data from 'deleted' drives regularly (about once a month). I've managed to rescue a platter before but only once (out of three attempts) so I don't recomment trying. If it is the drive motor that's gone then I think they should be able to replace it without destroying the data on it although it would depend on the type of drive. That being said they might just send you a replacement drive. Good luck and I hope you get your data back intact as your pics are fantastic. hug

@FixInDocs: They taught me enough to fail first year and have to resit. biggrin

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

spiralxveteran
1,376 posts

Posted:
In this situation myself, it does suck. Hopefully once I get my PC up and running I'll be able to recover it myself if it's just the tables that have been corrupted.

"Moo," said the happy cow.

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
oh that bites, ry!! hug hope you get it all back!!! smile

*runs off to find someone with a laptop with a cd burner to back up all my junk*

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
that sux dude hug id ask ur local uni admin for help before sending it off, i had my uni hard drive die about a year ago and the admin asked if i had anything really important on there cos he could get it back thankfully i had everything backed up on my home computer (which had the power supply blow a few days later luckily i didnt lose anything)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Oh Ry I am so sorry to hear that.:( frown frown
To you of all people! hug

I have nothing to offer in terms of tech advice but I will always have a coffee with you!!! (or a soothing herb tea...chocky fondue??) I sincerely hope that it is 'just' a mechanical problem ie you can get the motor running again and that the actual data/platter is not affected hug

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Psycho_lemmingSILVER Member
Running hippy spinning lemming
15 posts

Posted:
awwww.... hug

Fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate; hate leads to suffering...

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
.:magics the drive into working again:.

Did it work?

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
i was saying the otherday i couldn't help you get much back, but i do have that wonderful poi video collection you sent me if you'd like a copy back hug Hope things are getting back into place now smile

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Oh Ry, that sucks. frown

I really hope you manage to recover some of your stuff.

Let us know what comes of it.

I can't give any technical advice, but I can supply these... hug2 hug2 hug2

biggrin

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
ubblol Ah yes.. there were poi videos!! I had downloaded heaps more since then too though. I guess I don't need them back just yet- hopeful my drive comes back from Samsung with perhaps some data on it (despite their "not responsible for data loss or data recovery caveat..).

Things are slowly sorting themselves out. Albeit weirdly. But then again, is it just me or has the past month just been generally peculiar??

*ponder*

Adya MiriyanaGOLD Member
*slou?
6,554 posts

Posted:
yeah, it's been rather peculiar...

well, *crosses fingers* for data on the drive

SniperBRONZE Member
Snoochie-boochie-noochies!
663 posts

Posted:
if you do open it and it is a complete write-off keep the magnets. they're ridiculously strong and much fun. just me careful if they snap together and trap some skin expect blood to be drawn... tongue

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: Ry

is it just me or has the past month just been generally peculiar??

*ponder*

I think Certain Persons would probably mutter about Mercury being retrograde... tricksy communicaiton glitches etc....

RyGOLD Member
Gromit's Humble Squire
4,496 posts

Posted:
Sniper: Nonrelated, but just noticed my mountain bike's disc brakes have pretty strong magnets too..

gabe: Yes. That's so got to be it. Mercury! Erm.. yeah.

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
ooh dear sounds like bad eggs to me....cant offer anything other that a long distance hug i'm afraid hug
hope it all sorts out!!xx

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
that is AWFUL, ry, i totally love your work - and strangely i feel the loss is mine too!
may your phoenix be more beautiful-er!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
EEEEEP RY Please do not think I believe in Astrology! Augh!!!

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
huge hug to you Ry... so sorry. So much of our lives are transient, and we just have to let them go. Sometimes sad though.

lol about "mercury in retrograde" I hear that all the time, does the f***ing planet ever get out of retrograde?!!!

And yes, oh yes, the past month *has* been peculiar. Most definately. Why, I dont know. Strange indeed.

*ponders with RY*

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."