Forums > Help! > customer rights - internet shopping

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
to anyone who has found this thread after searching for diddy bikes on the net please look at the post below by PC3044 for contact info

-----------------------------------------

my boyfriend ordered this bike

Non-Https Image Link

from these people

www.diddybikes.co.uk

he ordered it on the 3rd June and they promised 28day delivery. We spoke to them on the phone before we ordered as we had some questions about the bike and everything seemed ok. We received an receipt from them and that is the last that we have heard from them

they posted this message on their site two weeks ago

From 14th July 2005 Diddy bikes no longer Supply Single Bikes at Trade Prices, The Minimum order Now Starts from 6 Units, Please Fax your order to 01296 651721 or call 01296 658354, or E-mail sales@diddybikes.com

Customers with outstanding orders will be written to in the next few days with Estimated delivery times

Previous to this they were selling individual bikes to customers.

I have emailed them about 30 times, I have tried phoning them but one of their phone numbers is no longer in use and the other one is never answered. I have also sent them numerous letters and I even got one of their neighbours to pass on a message to contact us. We still have heard nothing and its rather worrying.

I've been looking on the internet for info on what to do but i don't even know where to start. We want either our money back or the bike

what do i do? who do i report them to? how do we get our money back or our bike??

any advice would be greatfully received!

EDITED_BY: .:star:. (1126360416)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
If its a UK company report them to Trading Standards.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
Check out the UK Distance Selling Act and contact your citizen's advice beareau. Have they taken payment? If not you may be able to contact your bank. I always try to make internet purchases through VISA or Mastercard, not for the credit but because I'm legally buying the products from them, not the store. Makes problems like this a whole lot easier.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I was contacted by someone else about this yesterday and they gave me the phone number of a local policeman who they had contacted about it.

I've spoken to him and he is going to pay them a visit tomorrow (wednesday) and will let me know how it goes!

fingers crossed!

Anyone else who has had problems with these people lease contact me. I have the name and phone number of the policeman who is looking into this. I am happy to help out anyway i can!
EDITED_BY: .:star:. (1124215014)

andreaosmannewbie
1 post

Posted:
hi, we purchase a bike using pay pal 1.7.05, we had a letter saying the bike would be delayed another 4-6weeks and asked if we wanted a refund, i completed their form asking for a refund as this was not acceptable, but havent heard a word since. we can not claim the money back through paypal because it has been over the (45days you have to claim). i would be grateful if anyone has any information or could help in any way.

pebnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
hi
I too have been well and truly fleeced by diddy bikes. They have owed my son £269 since May.Since Trading Standards and Citizens Advice I am now ready for court. I would be very grateful if you could send me the phone number of the policeman in question.
Thank you so much
Evansdav4@aol.com

pebnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I too am in the process of trying to get money back from diddy bikes.Trading Standards and Citizens Advice have both advised court proceedings.Small claims form from local court offices, go back to Citizens Advice who will help you to fill it in.The court cost is £30.Good Luck!!!

Andy Hnewbie
1 post

Posted:
PLEASE COULD YOU HELP ME I BOUGHT A BIKE FOR MY SON FROM DIDDY BIKES WITH HIS HARD EARNED POCKET MONEY HE SAVED FOR MONTHS THIS WAS BACK IN MAY IVE HAD THIER LETTER THE SAME AS SOME OF THE OTHER PEOPLE THAT TELLS YOU YOU CAN GET YOUR MONEY BACK OR WAIT ANOTHER 4 -6 WEEKS FOR THE BIKE I DECIDED TO GET HIS MONEY BACK THIS WAS 4 WEEKS AGO AND HAVE NOT HAD ANY WORD OR REPLY TO EMAILS PLEASE COULD YOU FORWARD ANY HELPFULL INFO TO GET MY SONS MONEY BACK
WITH THANKS
ANDY HEGGIE

KatPSILVER Member
Muddy fingernails
505 posts

Posted:
We had a similar experience when trying to buy a pair of transmuters boots from their only UK importer. Numerous phone calls and emails, and 2 months later, still no boots. Since we had paid by credit card, we contacted the credit card company in writing, with details of all correspondance we had had with the company. They refunded the money and then went off to recalim it from the company. (Interestingly, the shop I eventually got my boots from has also had problems with the company as a supplier, unfortunately they have a monopoly on imports)

The best advice I have i to keep a note of all correspondance - dates and times of phone calls, copies of emails and letters. That way you have evidence of anything you have done to try to get your goods or money. If you paid by credit card, you can then pass the matter on to them. If not, you have evidence to take to trading standards / citizens advice or a solicitor.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

KITTENS!!!!

molliejanesmumnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Please help - i am also a victim of diddy bikes - they owe me over £ 400 as i ordered 2 bikes - guess what - no bikes and no money so i would appreciate all the information, telephone numbers, names that any one could give me,

eagerly awaiting to crush the b**stards - please help

kazzienewbie
1 post

Posted:
Am glad found this site as my son to is a victim he paid £151 the begining of june for his bike then got letter asking him to fill out form for a refund which we did and still nothing tried emailing them today but no longer available phoned our local trading standards and advised me to send a letter recorded delivery giving them 10 days to refund the money plus sent a copy of the letter from them if no joy then to call them back and will advise me further,but dont hold out much hope after seeing so many of you in same situation,its disgusting as so many youngsters have saved pocket money birthday money ect only to be conned,and wonder just how many more of us there are?
Kazzzie

pebnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Sorry to here you,re in the same boat as myself and not surprisingly loads more.I have rung the local police station today not much joy. They say the only thing they have been able to do is call in to see them to convince them they should be paying people back He said some money has been refunded and they are trying to get through a back log.We mistakenly put in our message saying we paid diddybikes in may it was actually march.As someone else has already said £269 is also my young son,s hard earned cash The policeman still suggested I should carry on with court case.Good Luck.

PC3044newbie
3 posts

Posted:
Folks,

Due to the volume of enquiries I am now receiving from members of the public regarding DIDDY BIKES, I have decided to post a message on here regarding my involvement with the company.

I am the Police Officer who has been mentioned previously in posts on this forum.

I am currently stationed at Waddesdon Police Station, covering over 100sq. miles, which includes the village of Westcott, where Diddy Bikes is based.

I have NO connection with the company and my involvement is based purely on the calls I have received regarding the way they run their business.

I can add though, that the company is still trading. They have experienced and still are, a number of problems regarding thefts, lost shipments of orders, damaged orders, phone problems and staffing levels. They have told me they are working their hardest and trying their best, to resolve these issues.

I have been contacted by people reporting what they believe is a 'deception', as they have paid money and either not received their order or not received a refund they requested.

I am able to confirm that they are not intentionally trying to deceive anybody out of any money. They are trying their best to fulfil their obligation to you.

We are currently advising people that the matter is a Civil one and should ideally be resolved through the Courts.

It would appear however, that I have had some success at getting the company to speak with their customers and to try and resolve the problems, directly with them over the telephone.

I AM PREPARED TO CONTINUE TO DO THIS FOR YOU.

Due to the number of messages being left on our answer phone in the office, I am going to try a different approach.

If you have any problems or queries you would like me to look into regarding your order or the company, please now e-mail me at the following address: James.Holstead@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk

Please subject your e-mail as Diddy Bikes Enquiry (most important)

Please supply your:

FULL NAME

ADDRESS & POST CODE

CONTACT TELEPHONE NUMBERS & PREFERRED NUMBER

DATE ORDER PLACED & ORDER NUMBER

METHOD OF PAYMENT

WHAT WAS ORDERED

TOTAL INCLUSIVE PRICE

The above is the minimum I require – any further information is always helpful i.e. further contact you had, who you spoke to, promises made, dates etc…

Please be aware I currently work a 7 days on / 4 off and 7 evenings on / 3 off rotating shift system. Diddy Bikes is Monday to Friday, so there may be a short delay, but I hope people are able to testify, that I usually resolve their enquiry within 24hours of people ringing me or at least I am able to get someone from the company to make contact with you.

I apologise for the length of this post but I hope I have now covered all the necessary points.

Regards.

PC3044 James Holstead.

rodders1966newbie
2 posts

Posted:
RE DIDDYBIKES --

I ORDERED MINE OVER 3 MONTHS AGO --- FINALLY FOUND A POLICE MAN LIVING IN THE THAMESVALLEY AREA WHO WILL SORT IT OUT FOR YOU .. IF YOU SEND ALL YOUR DETAILS TO HIM HE GOES ROUND TO DIDDYBIKES PERSONALLY ...

PC3044newbie
3 posts

Posted:
Rodders,

Just a note: it's actually thamesvalley - with the 'e' in 'valley' - otherwise the link will not work........

i.e.: James.Holstead@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk

Hope this helps for those who want to contact me??

James.

bigfatalnewbie
1 post

Posted:
I to placed an order with these people back in April this year, after many months of chasing, I was promised my money back - it never arrived. Diidy Bikes have gone bust owing lots of people money. Does any one know the name of the owner? Does anyone know where he lives?

I want to know where we can write to, who we can write to etc to try and extract money.

email me at alntlyr@aol.com

Owners names are Tony and Justine Avery. The best course of action is to take the company to court with a "Small Claims Action" against Diddiy Bikes.

jdunewbie
1 post

Posted:
Penman & Greenwood at The Daily Mirror are investigating Diddy Bikes.
You should mail them with your full name , address and day time tel no.
Say what you ordered, when and for how much.
Label your email DiddyBikes

investigate@mirror.co.uk

Bullitt13mcnewbie
1 post

Posted:
Just found this thread tonight, I ordered a bike from these reprobates back in june and have had no contact whatsoever since. I notice the website is no longer up....... bye bye hard earned pennies.......

pebnewbie
4 posts

Posted:

Re Diddy Bikes.
I have finally received a cheque from Diddy Bikes for £269.02p.It has been owed since March.Providing the cheque does not bounce we are elated.We are so grateful to P.C. HOLSTEAD without his intervention we would still be waiting like so many others.The local police seem to think that DiddyBikes are trying to pay people back.I sincerely hope with police pressure and such as The Daily Mirror intervening you will all be succesfull
Good Luck

rodders1966newbie
2 posts

Posted:
MANY THANKS TO P.C.HOLSTEAD .. 3 AND A HALF MONTHS OF WAITING AND LETTERS ECT .. ONE EMAIL TO P.C.HOLSTEAD AND I RECIEVED MY MINI MOTO'S WITHIN A WEEK ... MANY THANKS AGAIN MR.HOLSTEAD ......... WOULD NEVER DEAL WITH THEM AGAIN .. DIDDYBIKES MEANS NO BIKES ...

molliejanesmumnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Guess what - still no bikes and still no refund from these people - spoken to PC Holstead today - not much to report also spoke to trading standards and was told not to hold out much hope of seeing any money best thing to do would be go down there and get what i can - help mad2

so have left my details with Watchdog and will be getting in touch with daily mirror

Sorry Diddy Bikes - you shouldnt give people the runaround !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gez18newbie
2 posts

Posted:
i think being one of these people being ripped off we should rally round n track these basterds down in westcott and demand our money.
they are scum n i want them. to be honest it is fraud and the police do not give a f ---

molliejanesmumnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I SUGGEST THAT IF ANY ONE IS STILL OWED CASH OR BIKES BY DIDDY BIKES TO GET DOWN THERE AND GET WHAT YOU CAN OUT OF THEM BECAUSE AS THEY HAVE BEEN FORCED INTO RECEIVERSHIP AND WILL BE SHUTDOWN BY THE END OF THE WEEK, WE HAVE DRIVEN OVER 200 MILES ROUND TRIP TODAY AND HAVE MANAGED TO GET 2 BIKES OUT OF THEM BUT PLEASE NOTE THERE IS NOT MUCH LEFT, SO PLEASE GET YOURSELVES DOWN THERE !!!!!!!!!! :offtopi c:

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I suggest people stop using CAPS....

wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

danielak33newbie
2 posts

Posted:
We ordered in April - they took our money, but no goods arrived - in the end we took them to court, were awarded judgment and still we got nothing - when we got there, Mr. Avery was very happy to SELL us the same bikes we had ordered - no question of getting any money out of them - in the end, we got our goods, but only after being chased by Mr Avery with a large spade - beware !! His wife ordered 2 staff to take him him away. Our advice - get down there quickly - there is still some stock - you will get nothing else.

danielak33newbie
2 posts

Posted:
If you can get down there - they have got some goods in stock - it is the only way - you will get nothing else

gez18newbie
2 posts

Posted:
hiya folks
just a note that i went down to sunny westcott today to be met by 2 gentlemen i thought [censored] but actuly they r good blokes i asked about my db2 etc and there it was shiney and bright looking at me yes the one i ordered same colour with my name on etc.took it a 2 hr home trip filled it up and away i went fing awsome. go down there dont try the hard man stuff be polite and you'll get what u paid for. by the way i cant wait to run it in then it will be me to the max.they'll explain wot happend to the diddy bike company etc
cheers and yes this is a real post j

tommo1newbie
1 post

Posted:
hi, i also have NOT received my mini moto or money back and have the same story to tell, which is a real nightmare. i recommend that every one contacts paypal and complains because they told me that if enough people complain then they can do an investigation in to them and hopefully get every ones money back.
good luck

Debbie206ccnewbie
1 post

Posted:
My son ordered a bike through Diddybikes and after many months of promises etc my husband drove there and picked it up. This was back in August and he didn't have any problems his only comment was it was total chaos and I think the business got too big too quickly. Hope everyone else has the same good luck.
It has made me realise not to use Paypal on goods like this because I contacted Paypal and because it was beyond the 45 days they weren't interested and I had used my bank account instead of a credit card for Paypal.

molliejanesmumnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Just an idea - but now i have the bikes would anybody be interested in buying them from me - to be honest i didnt want them in the first place but myu husband ordered them and when we had the chance of a refund or carry on with the order i talked my sons into having a refund and spending the money on what they wanted - boys being boys they agreed but with all the trouble i ended up taking a trip down to diddy bikes and getting two bikes instead of loosing out on everything we have 1 x sg237 and 1 x sg225
cheers

PC3044newbie
3 posts

Posted:
** IMPORTANT UPDATE - PLEASE READ **

Folks,

Firstly, I must apologise to all those who have contacted me recently asking for help. Due to current commitments at work, there has been a delay in contacting each of you personally and I have only managed to liaise with a few of you at a time, over the past week.

I apologise if this has caused any problems.

Secondly, I have mentioned to those I have spoken to over the past fortnight, that I was waiting for a statement to be sent to me from the owner of the company. This has not been received and I have had no indication when it is likely to arrive.

Thirdly, I was going to update those I have spoken to, with the current stock levels left at Diddy-Bikes and suggest you attend the shop as those who have, seem to have come away with goods.

HOWEVER, my current advice is to SAVE ANY FURTHER MONEY BEING SPENT AND STAY AWAY – DO NOT ATTEND WESTCOTT.

I write this because last night, Wednesday 28th September, at approximately 20.45hrs, Diddy-Bikes in Westcott was, yet again, broken into and all remaining stock was removed by, as yet unidentified offenders. They removed every bike they could carry, leaving nothing behind.

Therefore please don’t be tempted to turn up on the off chance of getting your hands on a bike they may owe you – this simply won’t happen, as there is nothing left to give you. One of my colleagues is currently investigating this crime and I will update this forum again with any developments.

At this time I have no further information to give you.

Some of you are asking for the private contact details for the owner. Please understand I am not in a position to give this sort of information to you, but I would suggest all correspondence is either addressed to the shop in Westcott in the hope it is forwarded to them or to Aylesbury Trading Standards, to see if they are able to assist.

And now a moan. I have received via e-mail some messages, fortunately only a handful, containing some rather ‘choice language’. I am not prepared to spend time responding to these type of messages containing the language they do and please be advised these are sent straight to my ‘deleted items’ folder and no further action is taken. You know who you are, so please stop it.

From my earlier post I hope you all realise the position I took and the limited actions I could take.

I have worked very closely with Trading Standards and we have had more meetings than I care to mention with the company, to see if any criminal offences have been committed. At this time we are satisfied that they have not intentionally deceived and this is the key phrase, any of you out of any money or goods. The way the company ran their business is I am afraid, not a matter for me to comment on.

I hope this now updates those who read this, with the current situation regarding Diddy-Bikes. I realise it is not what you want to read, but I thought you may prefer to hear it from me, rather than from the ‘bush telegraph’.

I’m sorry this is another long post but I hope it proves useful.

Regards for now.

PC3044 James Holstead

Page: