claremember
82 posts

Posted:
i was just wondering if the bali bombing is at all big international news, or even significant news elswhere in australia.
in perth we've had double-length TV news dedicated purely to the bali bombing, and perth ABC radio suspended all normal programming for 24-or-more hours straight of bali news....
is it like this elsewhere, or is it just not news?

and does anyone feel like confirming the rumour i heard that all the Americans left bali a couple of weeks ago coz they had inside info (i dont think this is true, but hey, its a good rumour)

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
oo. looky. got off my arse and went to cnn.com.. yeah, it seems it is news in america, at least...

bbrr. with schoolies/leavers in a month's time i had friends headed up there.
theyve changed plans, going to the gold coast now.
my family aint going up there for xmas anymore either. we're stayin here and the rest are going to new zealand...
crap. bali was always such a great place. a monkey ripped my earrings out of my ear when i was nine, and my friend's brother-in-law used to live on $1.50 Aus. a day up there surfing, and another friend got her first tattoo at 14 up there... and now i dont get to go back *pout*

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I heard about it on the BBC news site - I still can't understand why people do stuff like this.

One of my friends has just got back from a holiday to Ibiza - apparently there's a club there with a capacity of ten thousand people - he's trying to get his head round what it'd be like if someone put a bomb there during peak season

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, it's big news here. Really, really hideous. Shocking because Indonesia did maintain a pretty good balance between the Muslims and Hindu's and Bali has usually been somewhat sheltered from the troubles that have ravaged the rest of Indonesia because of it's tourism and the fact it's mainly Hindu.

clare, lets hope this doesn't destroy the place. It's still the Bali you love and there's always hope for the future. I still intend to go there (not to Kuta), but I'm not there for a few months and if there are more attacks I'll rethink. I happily flew to New york soon after 9/11. Empty plane, got 4 seats to myself, very comfy. Don't give in, they win.

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
Disgusting behavior from fellow human beans.. Ashamed to say I'm from the same race.. but cowards attack in cowardace ways.. they haven't even owned up to it yet.. example - the same dispicable thing has been happening in Ireland for years.. but the b*stards there - at least they had the audacity to hold a hand up - so at least we (the public ) had some one to blame..

If stuff like this continues to happen I shall have to review my situation here on Earth - think I'll go home to Zog.. Left past the bright star and straight on till morning - hey wait that's Never Never land.. hey that'll do - I'll be a kid for ever.. being a kid is cool you don't have to worry too much about the stuff going on in the world.. just need to worry about when you next peice of home work is due..

I feel for everyone who has been affected and hope the pain don't last to long - but can you say the right words to make it easier?? I know I can't... I wouldn't be supprised if the US did have prior knowledge - they only feed the news what they want us to hear..

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
The people who everyone thinks are most likely to have done it have denied it, and said it's probably the US who planted the bomb to further undermine Islam and Indonesia!! Clever reply, because it so easily feeds the fanatical mind ideas it wants to hear.

TwirlyVicnorthern monkey
235 posts

Posted:
it is huge news, i work in a pub and havce been wathcing television all day, its has not change don sky news. i've been crying at work, at home and on the phone to friends in oz trying to determine if they are at home, or are on holiday in bali. so far everyone i know is safe, or has been in touch with another friend, but it is terrifying. i've a lot of things on my mind right now, but its nothing comperaed

vic xx

ex-hop-aholic, now inconsistent lurker...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
First of all, my most sincere condolences to anyone who lost someone in these most recent attacks.

Recently, there has been an interesting turn of events. Al-Qaeda was sticking to American targets, even if the targets were abroad, but now there's this thing with the French oil tanker and now Bali. Only two Americans were killed in the blast, which means that it's unlikely that the goal of the bombing was to kill Americans. It's clear that Australians were the targets this time.

I'm not sure exactly what this means. It could lead to something good, or it could lead to something bad. It could mean that there will be a general outcry against this sort of thing even in Muslim countries and support for Al-Qaeda will wane. It could also mean that other countries will join (read "follow") the United States in some futile crusade. OR...other countries might step up to the plate and decide to start having an active input in any military action, rather than leaving the U.S. in charge by default.

But we have to hit this at the roots: we can't just tighten security all over the world because Al-Qaeda goes "BOO!" We have to get rid of Al-Qaeda.

And that means that we have to set our priorities straight.

It means we're fighting a war on Al-Qaeda. See, the military is excellent at destroying a target if the target actually exists. Al-Qaeda exists. It can be destroyed. "Terrorism" is an abstract concept that you can't destroy with bullets and bombs. Same for "drugs." The military can destroy anything that you can point your finger at, or even wave your hand at, like Al-Qaeda. But you can't point a finger at terrorism.

We can't reason with them. They are a terrorist organization, and like all organizations, they strive to sustain their own existence. That means that even if all their demands were met, they'd still need to commit acts of terrorism to stay in business. Al-Qaeda must be destroyed. We've known this from the start. Al-Qaeda no habla "peace."

But that's not going to fix the problem forever. Even if we could vaporize every Al-Qaeda operative tomorrow morning, terrorism would still exist. Even if every member of every terrorist organization in the world evaporated tomorrow, terrorism would still exist. As long as oppression, subjugation, manipulation, poverty, and continued socioeconomic polarization exist, so will the impetus for the formation of terrorist groups.

I hope our leaders see this long-term problem and start to work on long-term solutions.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Jimmember
24 posts

Posted:
One thing that gets me about this is the way some news is picked up on internationally, but other things are ignored completely and no-one knows about it.

Just over a year ago now I was in Aceh north Sumatra when a couple of bombs went off in Banda Aceh. I got in contact with friends and family to let them know I was alright, and none of them knew about it so weren't worried about me until I told them! Obviously Bali is a much more touristed area of Indonesia, so a lot more westerners were in the area at the time, and hence the story got into western media.

During the 2 months I spent in sumatra, a worringly large amount of locals were asking me about using the internet to obtain bomb making instructions. They wanted to know wheteher the authorities could trace it to them and things like that. I didn't help any of them, but they could easily have got the information themselves.

Fact is anyone can get hold of this information, and that is a scary thought. They may have done it for Al-Queda or some other terrorist organisation, or it could just as well be some lone psycho who wanted to make an impact for whatever he or she beleives in.

Still won't stop me going back to Indonesia though, I love the country and still have a lot of it to explore.

[ 15 October 2002, 11:55: Message edited by: Jim ]

Its a fish!

dulce flamesmember
234 posts

Posted:
"The Bali thing" is definately international news. In the US, at least cali, while it's not the only thing on the news right now, it has a large place and front page covers in the newspaper. I'm sorry to all of you who have been more directly affected. Although I'm far over in California, I can imagine the terror and the fear. I like to think of the world in whole as being a nice, safe place, but we've been shown that isn't always quite like that. Most of us are just lucky it hasn't been a daily threat and fear throughout our lives like in some places in the world.. I hope that everyone looking for friends will be able to find them and that people won't give up on Indonesia as the beautiful place that it is... We can't let fear get us down, but have to observe what happens from here... Good luck to everyone in understanding and coping.. peace

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Mike, your last paragraph shows the problem. Politicians are talking about terrorism as if it is one single entity with tendrils across the world. It's a simplistic view that encourages the incorrect thinking that we can rid outselves of this entity called terrorism and be safe again. Terrorism is a method of attack, once invented it will be used. And the nature of terrorism is that it is physical combat, and trying to surpress it viciously can increase a terrorists resolve.

Yeah, Jim, unfortunately people often only care when they're hurt, other people matter less and it's often labelled an 'internal' issue.

Shubbymember
12 posts

Posted:
To all of those who've dissapeared in Bali or who've lost a dear one there, I'll swing a poi for you tonight.

My condoleances to all those concerned.

Shubby

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
This is interesting. CNN is reporting that an attempt terrorist attack by two Arab assailants was thwarted on a Saudi Airlines plane.

IF they are Al-Qaeda, what does it mean if they are attacking Arab targets?

-Mike

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Who knows. There's western targets all over the world. In Saudi there's military bases that many object strongly to.

But it looks like a lone hijacker, so a random nut maybe?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by clare:

and does anyone feel like confirming the rumour i heard that all the Americans left bali a couple of weeks ago coz they had inside info (i dont think this is true, but hey, its a good rumour)

I haven't heard about any travel advisories pertaining to Bali.

This sounds like the rumor that no Jews/Israelis showed up to work at the WTC on 9/11.

-Mike

Fire_Emanatormember
96 posts

Posted:
Terrible news, but no one seemed to give a shit when thousands of Civilians were killed in Afghanistan, in the "War on Terror"...

Free your mind and your ass will follow!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Fire_Emanator:
Terrible news, but no one seemed to give a shit when thousands of Civilians were killed in Afghanistan, in the "War on Terror"...
Nope, and look at what it's accomplished.

At some point our leaders will need to realize that dropping bombs works really well when you're fighting a uniformed army, but doesn't do jack squat when you're fighting guerillas or terrorists.

It didn't work in Vietnam and it's not going to work here.

-Mike

splerphBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
Of course people care about that Fire-Emanator.

However this has just happened to people nearest and dearest to us so of course we are going to discuss it!

Smile and the whole world smiles with you

claremember
82 posts

Posted:
ah. the 'the americans got out early' rumour's been cleared up, sorta. while aus. chose to only put up travel warnings for indonesia minus bali, the USA, being a little more paranoid, included bali. that's why there's so few american casualties.