Forums > Technical Discussion > Monket Fist vs. Cathedral/wrap heads

Login/Join to Participate

MikoSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
hello, I am requesting poll on Monkey Fist vs. other head types, purely on performance ease/flow. I've seen comments before, but they seem to factor in ease of making. I am used to ball type, and was thinking of switching when i saw how cathedral type was a higher rated seller on the shop. I tried a mock up using canvas of cathedral, and had a sort of tug/twist effect going on . User error? ;>
thanks, Miko

"Don't be silly, everbody knows it's Turtles! Turtles,All the way Down!" unknown attendee of Stephen Hawkings/Kip Thorne Lecture.(used by Terry Pratchett too)

jinvincibleGOLD Member
king of the hedgehogs
125 posts

Posted:
The thing about cathedral heads is that if you add more wick, it only makes them longer. If you try to add wick to a monkey fist, you get a bigger ball. If you are obsessed with the longest burn time possible, finding a balance between size and fuel capacity is essential. Keeping the exposed surface area to total wick volume ratio as small as possible will give you the longest burn.

Yellow and blue make green.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i prefer 4" tube core wick with a 2" intermediate core.
this split 6" configuration gives of mucho light and has the added convenience of being easily soaked with fuel directly from a wide mouthed fuel bottle!

No dipper tin is great, i've never owned a dipper smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Monkey fists have longer burn times than equal sized cathedrals... However, the burn time is TOO LONG in my opinion. I dont need to spin for 10 mins straight.

Cathedrals have bigger flames than equal sized monkey fists and I like big flames.

Those two facts easily make cathedrals my preferred style of the two. However, Ive recently found a style of wick which is pretty much the exact midline between them. Can anyone say "moonblaze" smile

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MikoSILVER Member
21 posts

Posted:
Moonblaze? sounds purty, picture ? Hey can one braid wick cord in a five or seven flat braid and then cathedral it?

"Don't be silly, everbody knows it's Turtles! Turtles,All the way Down!" unknown attendee of Stephen Hawkings/Kip Thorne Lecture.(used by Terry Pratchett too)