Page: ......
The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Hi all

I've been studying the use of complementary therapies in palliative care for a research project at Uni. I've been looking at how these often clinically unproven therapies are being integrated into conventional medical care for the dying, the reasons for it and the benefits of it e.t.c.

One of the things I've been up to is watching a therapist give reiki treatments to patients. I started talking to the therapist afterwards about the 'energy body' and if she can see it. She says she just feels the energy, but cannot see it.

I personally would like to believe that we each have an aura or 'energy body', but at the same time I don't like buying into things without a healthy dose of scepticism also. So I was wondering what you guys all think...

If anyone also wants to argue for or against auras, or give their personal experiences with 'energy', I'm interested in whatever you guys have to say.

Cheers.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
My apologies for not reading "basic guides to logic" with a hot cocoa and bikkies before going to bed

rolleyes

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Dr. Carl Sagan's "The Demon Haunted World" or Michael Shermer's "Why people believe weird things" come with my personal recommendations for readability and rigour. heart
EDITED_BY: jeff(fake) (1165675053)

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
'Person' reccommendations???

I do believe that you mean 'personal' recommendations.

I believe that Rougie prefers Marian Zimmer Bradley's "The Mysts of Avalon" or "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak for 'readability and rigour' and thinks that you could do well to read "The Big Orange Splot" by Daniel M. Pinkwater, but if she posts in here again I'm gonna kick her arse!

Personally...I think you need to get laid...might change your attitude on life a bit!!!
EDITED_BY: fyrespirit (1165673169)

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fyrespirit

Personally...I think you need to get laid...might change your attitude on life a bit!!!

ubblol

How little you know about me, or my attitude to life. biggrin

I'm actually considered quite the individualist. I simply refuse to believe strange things without good reason.

Interesting that you think being a scientist equates to being a conformist though.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
And how little I want to know!

On topic...

I've been able to see the aura since I was a little girl....
The body works on electrical impulses just like every other natural thing on this planet...
Electricity is energy...energy has a glow...
I don't need a proof...

When we stop believing in the things that are 'magickal'...those things are taken away from us.
The ones who want to refute these things, do not deserve to be blessed with them in the first place.

Valura...you are a blessing upon this Earth...a precious child of the Goddess...never let anyone make you feel any different!
hug

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jeff(fake)

I'm actually considered quite the individualist. I simply refuse to believe strange things without good reason.

well, then, as you are strange, and i have never actually seen you, i say you do not exist and therefore cannot be an individualist without being existant biggrin

did i get Ad ignoratum - arguement from ignorance right?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

1,189 posts

Posted:

The ones who want to refute these things, do not deserve to be blessed with them in the first place.

I'm sensing some hostility here on your part.

If I can repeat my point again: I'm not refuting auras, I'm saying that there is no good evidence for them, and no-one who's ever been reliably tested has ever shown any signs of seeing auras, despite the tests being relatively simple (such as a blindfold) and testing occuring for many years.

Written by: faithinfire

Written by: jeff(fake)

well, then, as you are strange, and i have never actually seen you, i say you do not exist and therefore cannot be an individualist without being existant biggrin

did i get Ad ignoratum - arguement from ignorance right?

Technically that's a Non-Sequitur. hug wink

3,556 posts

Posted:
shhh i think you are a computer program like the suit guy from the matrix

you don't want us to see these things wink
EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1165677530)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
No hostility...I just feel that you have insulted some people that I consider my friends and I personally don't care for pretentiousness...

If you don't believe...fine...state your opinion and move on...
I've stated mine...and I'm done!

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: faithinfire

shhh i think you are a computer program like the suit guy from the matrix
you don't want us to see these things wink

Curses! You've guessed the Truth! eek

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

Maybe if you'd stop being pretentious and writing Latin then I'd understand you and have something to say.

ubblol I love you Rouge!! ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Valura

What I dont understand is why Im the one that seems to have to prove my abilitys. I have given proof that has been scientificaly tested, and not related to me personally with the links in my posts.

noone seems to want to talk about that though. shrug

Well... I think it IS because the links are not related to you personally, that people find it hard to see it as proof for your abilities.

Now, I understand why you don't want to play the monkey that jumps when someone tells you to just to prove your abilities. But for someone who doesn't believe in them, and has never seen them, websites aren't enough of a proof. If you look hard enough, you'll find websites "proving" nearly anything in the world. Think of all the idiots that make money selling miracle cures, they have websites and people testifying for them, too. Again, I'm not putting you on a level with them, especially since you don't do stuff for money as you say, but as long as I, and some others on here, have not experienced your abilities there's no way we can just go "sure, I'll believe that."

It's not personal (at least on my part) at all. I would be the same for abilities I believe in to start with, say someone told me the Chili Peppers have a good bassist, I'd have to hear their music before agreeing, or if they said mcp kicks arse with contact staff, I'd want to see her spin. Now if it's something I doubt is possible, of course I'd want to experience it to believe in it. Like with the drummer from Def Leppard, I would have had my doubts whether he can do a decent rhythm set because he only has one arm, but having seen him do it I believe it's possible.

Hmmm... I suppose what I'm trying to say here is, I don't ask you to prove anything to me, especially not just for the sake of proving it, but I reserve the right to be doubtful about spirituality until someone demonstrates it in a way that I can believe in. Which doesn't mean I say "auras don't exist", just that "I don't THINK they exist but I'm willing to learn if they do". hug

What I'm wondering is, if you think you COULD pass that million dollar test, wouldn't it be worth doing it and saying you don't want the money? That way you could make life easier for lots of people who are faced with discussions like this.

Rougie, I'll try and explain it again... not one to give up easily! ubblol hug

Take this idea... we have a medium and 3 people. The medium can look at them and study their auras and pick one (s)he thinks (s)he'll recognise. Then the person running the "experiment" puts that person behind a curtain, or in a dark room, in a position that they have marked before. It should be possible for the medium to find out where that person is in the dark room, or how far along the curtain they stand.

So, the one running the experiment would be blind to the aura, but since they know where in the room the person is, they'd know if the medium was right or wrong.

I hope this makes a bit more sense now! I suppose though that if the auras are to do with synaesthesia it wouldn't work, since you'd have to have some perception first to then get the aura accompanying it.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

Maybe if you'd stop being pretentious and writing Latin then I'd understand you and have something to say.

ubblol I love you Rouge!! ubblol

I'm also shortsighted if you want more material to work with. smile

3,556 posts

Posted:
can you prove that they do not exist, that there are no people who cannot see them
in a way they are a possiblity, considering how little of the color spectrum that we can see. we know there are colors we cannot see...just like there are sounds we cannot hear
though i understand your point is that we cannot prove they exist, you are not arguing about the actual existence as you see that unimportant for the discussion

Faith

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Birgit

Well... I think it IS because the links are not related to you personally, that people find it hard to see it as proof for your abilities.

Seriously they can believe what they want because at the end of the day this discussion wasnt about "wether or not Valura can see auras..." I just presented what I knew from my personal experiences. It then seemed to turn into "prove it Valura" and quite frankly as you have stated Brigit... I dont have to, I only offered some of the things that have occured in my life as some support as to what I was saying.

Im hardly going to "prove" myself on the demands of a closed minded materialist. Meh. biggrin

What I find confusing is the fact that Jeff you seem to be okay make assumptions on my physcological state but you seem to be quite ruffled when some one else makes some assumptions about you... "I find it funny how little you know about me....or my views on life." hmmmm... bit hypocritical....?

Anyway I must give a big ole "bloody good show ole mate" to faithinfire for the "well, then, as you are strange, and i have never actually seen you, i say you do not exist and therefore cannot be an individualist without being existant" quote, I fell off my chair with the giggles at that one!

ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

Im not going to continue to pickapart jeffs slamming at my understandin of the scientific methods cause Im not a scientist and would have the faintest idea of what he was on about... plus its starting to seem like an excersise in futility trying to explain things to the skeptics... they dont want to take any type of rubuttle and work with it at all...Im finding a circle of words is starting to form and we are getting nowhere. smile

Thanks for your insights Brigit. I can understand where you are coming from but just for the record... my chocolate cake wouldnt entice anyone to say ANYTHING nice about me!! ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol
Plus it would be hard sending it to Bird all the way in Pingland! wink

Fyrespirit + Rougie = ubblove

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Twiggymember
162 posts

Posted:
 Written by: jo_rhymes

just because our 5 senses don't register something, doesnt mean they don't exist.

It doesn't register on 5 or the other 4 of my senses. We have around 9 senses.
My philosophy is that if i cant sense it, i dont believe it to exist. wink

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
if you can't sense something, you don't believe it to exist. hmm. ok.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

crowley2BRONZE Member
official hop cutie
272 posts

Posted:
I believe in auras and most ppl sense them even if they dont notice it like have u ever looked at sm1 and thought wow he looks sucessfull or man i dont want to mess with him some ppl are more adempt at feeling auras from ppl its the same way u know when sm1s lying but u cant explain y ubbangel

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry pratchett

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I just found this on a website. Apparently you can demonstrate auras using it! Dunno if it's worth a try perhaps?

"First you need to find two hollow non-metal tubes. The inside of a glad wrap or tin foil roll is ideal or you could use a rubber hose. Cut it to a length that easily fits your hand. Next you need two pieces of wire. I like to use the wire from a coat hanger. Bend each piece of wire to form a right angle. Place each wire into each of the tubes. The wire should be free to move. Turn off as many electrical gadgets as you can as these may interfere with the demonstration. Certainly turn off your TV, computer and mobile phones.

Now for the demonstration. You may choose to do this outside in the garden but you can just as easily do it inside so long as there is a bit of room and not too much clutter. Ask your friend to stand as far away from you as they can. The further the better really as we don't yet know where the boundaries of your friends' aura are. Hold the tubes with the wires inserted. Hold one tube in each hand. Hold your hands out in front of you. Very slowly walk towards your friend. As you slowly approach your friend the wires will probably move around a little. At some point the wires will suddenly start to move outwards. This will happen as they interact with one of the outer limits of your friends' aura.

It may take a couple of tries to get a real feeling for what's happening. If nothing happens or you're just not convinced then you may be starting this demonstration already inside the aura field. If this is the case you will just need to approach your friend from a greater distance. Once you get a feel for things there will be no doubt in your mind that the aura exists as a strong field of energy surrounding each and every one of us. Make some kind of a mark on the floor to record where the wires did their thing. Then swap and let your friend hold the tubes and approach you. If they were a non-believer before they will soon be stunned.

You can also demonstrate how our emotions affect our auras. Get your friend to think of something really negative or a time when they were unhappy. Ask them to hold that thought. Repeat the demonstration outlined above. You will be amazed at how the limits of the aura have shrunken as you start to step over the previously recorded line. Now go back to your starting point. Ask your friend to think of something really positive or a time when they felt great and were happy. When you repeat the exercise you will find that their auras have expanded. Sometimes this expansion will actually be outside of the walls of the room you are doing this demonstration in so you may need to go outside into a more open space!

If you are a really keen student of the aura you may want to progress from this exercise. Once you get a feel for things you can try just using your hands with the palms of your hands held out in front of you as slowly walk forward. It takes a bit more time and effort to develop sensitivity but it can be done and anyone can do it. You don't need to be psychic or hold any special skills or talents."

crowley2BRONZE Member
official hop cutie
272 posts

Posted:
has any1 done tai chi and made a chi ball basicaaly makeing a ball beetween ur hands by a few exercises and breathing control did this once real freeky

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. ~ Terry pratchett

1,189 posts

Posted:

Im not going to continue to pickapart jeffs slamming at my understandin of the scientific methods cause Im not a scientist and would have the faintest idea of what he was on about...

It might be a good idea to learn the scientific method.

plus its starting to seem like an excersise in futility trying to explain things to the skeptics... they dont want to take any type of rubuttle and work with it at all...Im finding a circle of words is starting to form and we are getting nowhere. smile

Some might call that close minded. I've explained a very simple technique that would convince me to take you seriously:

Blindfold yourself and then navigate through a crowd of people. If your powers are as you have described them then it should be possible. Cue two million from Randi and the the Nobel prize committe and worldwide fame you could use to alleviate the suffering of tens of thousands. You could be a modern Ghandi.

I can wiggle my ears. If you seriously doubted me, I could film it and email it to you. No trouble at all. If I was being offered a million to do it, I'd jump at the chance.

Jo rhymes: There's a very simple way to demonstrate whether your experiment is due a simple ideomotor effect (like in dowsing).

If it isn't an ideomotor effect, then it won't be dependant on you holding the tubes. Simply affix them to a table, and walk towards them, being careful not to create any draft.

The US army would be very interested I think in a method of picking out whether people are hiding in a particular vicinity.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
maybe the US should employ the same technique they used for finding out whether there are weapons of mass destruction hiding in a particular vicinity: make it up wink

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
is anyone else getting dizzy reading this thread? wink

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: gita

is anyone else getting dizzy reading this thread? wink

I'm certainly learning a lot about the "open mindedness" and "politeness" of people who believe in auras. frown

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
 Written by: crowley2

has any1 done tai chi and made a chi ball basicaaly makeing a ball beetween ur hands by a few exercises and breathing control did this once real freeky

Not with Tai Chi, but I do energy play where I do pretty much the same thing.....
Go into alpha state and create an energy ball between my hands...have also done the same type of thing with a partner where you can actually make the other person almost fall backwards with an energy push...
Nothing to it!

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

1,189 posts

Posted:

Written by: crowley2

Not with Tai Chi, but I do energy play where I do pretty much the same thing.....
Go into alpha state and create an energy ball between my hands...have also done the same type of thing with a partner where you can actually make the other person almost fall backwards with an energy push...
Nothing to it!

What kind of experiments could you do to rule out a psychological effect?

Three spring to mind:
1:Attempting to push over an inanimate object (not valid if the claim is that only people are affected)
2:Attempting to push a partner who is blindfold with ear muffs, thus being unaware of when it occurs or from what direction (would require care to rule out subconscious prediction of the thrower's timeing by the throwee)
3:Attempting the same thing with someone who is unaware of the situation.

Clearly they would need more stringent controls to rule out all possibilities, but it would be a start. smile

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I'm not doing freakin' experiments!!!

This is called energy play and is done for no other reason than to develop personal energy.

And with a partner...you both close your eyes...and are as quiet as you can possibly be...nothing but the breath.

All it is for is to be able to feel and acknowledge that personal energy...

Are you so out of touch with your own spirit that you can't sense the energy of people around you???
You must be a miserable person indeed...which must be why you have to try to tear down everyone else.

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

1,189 posts

Posted:
Charming. frown

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
#1, #2 and #3 are actually the same thing: they're all pushing over a physical object.

apart from the fact that #3 is unethical.

1,189 posts

Posted:

#1, #2 and #3 are actually the same thing: they're all pushing over a physical object.

apart from the fact that #3 is unethical.

Some people might believe that there is a difference: that only people are affected, or that only believers are affected, etc.

The person in number 3 would obviously be a willing volunteer. They just wouldn't be told the exact nature of the experiment. Crash mats would be provided as a saftey measure.

Page: ......