Page: ......
The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Hi all

I've been studying the use of complementary therapies in palliative care for a research project at Uni. I've been looking at how these often clinically unproven therapies are being integrated into conventional medical care for the dying, the reasons for it and the benefits of it e.t.c.

One of the things I've been up to is watching a therapist give reiki treatments to patients. I started talking to the therapist afterwards about the 'energy body' and if she can see it. She says she just feels the energy, but cannot see it.

I personally would like to believe that we each have an aura or 'energy body', but at the same time I don't like buying into things without a healthy dose of scepticism also. So I was wondering what you guys all think...

If anyone also wants to argue for or against auras, or give their personal experiences with 'energy', I'm interested in whatever you guys have to say.

Cheers.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
This is a man for whom there is no doubt, had he chosen the 'Gellar' way, could have made a huge reputation and fortune, by making out that he had genuine paranormal powers.
He could, for example, have been a highly charistmatic and successful medium (a fake one).

Thats a big call isnt it? People have a great sense for B.S dave. I think he would be caught out just like all the fake mediums are.

Tell me then about the true and gifted people such as Doris Stokes, Alison Dubois, Gordon Smith, John Edward, and James Van Praagh. How is that explained? Do you believe that they are faking it as Uri Gellar and Derren Brown are?

I can tell you I believe that they would also be horrified at how Derren is so dissmissive of peoples feelings, all in the name of making a quick buck.

The mediums I have named, I believe, are held in the highest regard around the globe for the work that they do, and the professinal and concise way they do it.

As for ole mate Derrans honesty I was not questioning that at any stage. What I am questioning is how he could intentionally hurt those people. That makes me question his ethics as a "performer"

Deceit in any field is entirley possible. But I dont see Derren out fiddling with results of experiments in order to prove that scientists can be fake. He is intentionally trying to debunk spiritualisim and mediumship. How come I wonder?

Mediums are one of the most abused and insulted people on the planet, and all the majority want to do is offer a service. I am often abused and called and a liar, but will continue to offer a helping hand where ever that may be required.

I am constantly around a huge amount of readers. Some are full of it and those people are not held in high regard in our circles due to unethical practise and are NOT recommended to anyone for readings.

People should only attend a medium that they have heard good things about via word of mouth, or seen working on stage and have had a taste of the way that person works.

You would hardly go to a plastic surgeon that has a chop shop in the backyard...no... you do your research and go to one that you feel safe with. Same with a reader.

What Im trying to say is that there are good and bad in all fields, its the way of life... but please try to stop looking down on all readers and mediums as frauds and cheaters, becasue the majority of all I have met are not this way. They are talented and have the real desire to help.

Dave do you think that some thigs said in this thread has turned into a bit of a personal attack on my abilities?

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I would just like to mention Immanuel Velikovsky who was shunned from the scientific community for controversial theories, as well as Erich von Däniken who was similarly not-well received.

Both of these men presented legitimate scientific theories with legitimate scientific background and they were ostracised from the scientific community.

Doesn't give much incentive for scientists to do something controversial like support spiritualism, does it?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

robnunchucksBRONZE Member
enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
Over this weekend i did alot of thinking about this thread and i've finaly come to a conclusion its wrong to question other peoples clames about the universe what ever they may be people should be aloud to think and say whatever they want without fear of been argessively questioned about there belefs by others.

Anyways since i had this revilation the way i look at the world has changed things seem diffrent. I can sence things from people short flashes of images and emotion most of the time its to fast to get anything useful but the more it happens the easer it is to pick things up from them. I've spent all weekend practising and i've even found i can see these flashes without the person been there. anyways i wanted to show you all so you could tell me how you think im doing as i've not been at this very long. So i thought i would try to give Valura a reading, i've got alot of images from you maby one day i'll be able to interprate them all but as i've just started the only ones i seem to be able to grasp are the ones from when your quite young.

the first image i managed to grasp was from when you were a teenager your very tense and focused and your driveing a car someones telling you what to do. its almost like your geting a driveing lession. but that doesn't make any sence because your not driveing on a road your on grass i can see sheep and fences near by as well. but no one seems to be worryed by the fact your not on the road. im not realy sure what to make of it but thats what i saw. The next image i got was from when you younger its hard to tell exacly what age you are but you seem be around 8 or 9 years old your at home and you very upset. Because your cat has died. i can't quite get what the cats name was but it was something like funky the cat or maby monkey the cat i can't quite tell. But your particualy upset because it wasn't a natural death something happend that cut your cats life short unexpectadly. i'm afrade thats all i can see but that was the clearist image i've managed to get so far. i also picked one up which i wont disclose in full to protect your modisty but again its from when you were younger in it your siting on the sofa watching quantom leap on tv. and i'll simply say you were haveing some very intresting thoughts about about sam beckett wink

how did i do?

My nunchucks vital statictics biggrin

weight: 500g
handle lenght: 16 inches
chain length: 2 inches

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: onewheeldave

Much as you seem to have found Jeffs posts/suggestions to be annoying/goading, I feel that you could have got something positive out of them.

For example, his proposal that, on his understanding of your claims, that you could theoretically use the abiltiy to see auras to navigate (whilst blindfolded).

Scientifically speaking, it's not a bad suggestion.

I suspect that, for various reasons, auras can't be used for navigation- however, if you'd explained why they can't, that would have given Jeff (and other viewers of this thread) a better understanding of what auras actually are, possibly leading to more appropriate suggestions for 'testing' from Jeff and, overall, a better understanding on both sides.

In all honesty, if I'd been the target of Jeffs arguments, I'd not have felt goaded or attacked- I'd have welcomed them because it's a great opportunity to improve my ability to explain myself to people who otherwise, would remain forever ignorant of what it is I'm trying to say.

thats a good call there. I do believe that I was behaving rather defensivly by that time as it was being suggested that I had to prove myself and the very core of my beliefs and values. I found that rather unfair.

I didnt even think about explaining why the test wouldn't be achievable.

Auras are six feet wide. Everyones aura would meld together making it very difficult to navigate anywhere.

Plus its very tiring looking at one persons energy imprint.... having even two or three at once would be overwhelming for any reader I believe.

Plus I wouldnt be unable to be blindfolded immediatley because I personally would have to look at the persons body or scan them with my hands to get the imprint and then I would be able to still see it and see it change after I was blindfolded.

Plus all mediums use and connect withtheir abilities differently so it would be unfair to use all the smae tests on different mediums.

Many would fail as the tests would not be conductive to the way they personally work...

does that help?
shrug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

sam beckett?!?!

AHAHAHAHAHAA! I used to have a big crush on him.

wink

but rob...

I know what your doing. wink

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Here are the quotes from my intro thread rob....
Dont try to fool a psychic...

Page 12…
hahahaha
Punky brewster!!! I remember that show...I called my cat PUNKY after her, when I was 9. Then my cat gotten runned over. oh. I remember that.

Page 13
oh sweetie!!lol
Im a born and bred Kiwi and learnt how to drive in a sheep paddock in the wairarapa...

page 16

LOL @ quantum leap quote..I had the biggest crush on that guy when I was little...

Anyway...keep trying...
ubblol

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
this is just getting silly! ubblol

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
ahh busted well spoted i had hoped not to use hop as i figured you might remember the posts unfortunaly i couldn't find your surname anyware so i had to resort to just the stuff on hop biggrin as it was a very old thread i hoped you'ed forgoten by now if you've got someones full name its alot easyer smile

of course its intresting to note i did learn alot about you in reading all your old threads smile

anyways perhaps you'ed like to show me how its done properly? i'ed be very intrested to see what you can read from me

also if the navigation test is slightly inaproprate what about the curtain test where you detect people behind a curtain by there aura if of course you were aloud to approach and scan the person first before we put behind the curtain would that work?
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1165842559)

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I went dancing the other night and when I was finished I met a girl outside who is closer to pure love than any other person I know.

She completly tripped out on my aura. Just as I had completly tripped out on my dancing. I could literally feel the buzz of energy above my head that she was looking at...

Love is the law.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
wheee! bring some love into this thread!

ubblove

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Well,

If anyone is willing to perform an open minded exploration of auras I would be willing to help.

Simply list exactly what your claims are and we can devise a few simple experimental tests to ascertain their validity. If that goes well we could build a few more in depth ones. If you wish to remain close minded to alternative possibilities that's your choice. If you wish to simply attack me that's your choice as well. If you want to call me close minded, ask yourself whether you really are open to the other possibilities first.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
I feel for you jeff.

Isnt it possible to take photos fo Auras? I see to remember a friend of mine doing this a few years ago. his was bright red. And very strong and well shaped. Maybe this has already been discussed but I wont ever have tiome to read all this thread in work...

Its interesting that some people cannot accept something without unshakable proof. Up to and including the belief that it may be true for others even though otherwise untestable. And its also interesting that others are will to accept the beliefs of others based on that alone, acceptance.

I can completly change reality with the power of my mind. I cant prove it though wink

Love is the law.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
The technique for photographing aura's is called kirlian photography.
However many sceptics have disputed the claims made concerning auras and kirlian photography.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

1,189 posts

Posted:
May I take it that no-one is interested in being open minded? frown

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
ubblol i admire your persistence in the belief of the supremacy of logic and experimental theory in the universe... but would anyone really change their views based on an experiment organised by a bunch of people youve never met, over the internet?

people are very open-minded here jeff - but not necessarily as scientifically minded as you - and dont always feel the need to prove every single basis of their personal view of the universe using hypothesis, experiments, data, statics, conclusions, and references smile
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1165841259)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Valura

Written by: OWD

This is a man for whom there is no doubt, had he chosen the 'Gellar' way, could have made a huge reputation and fortune, by making out that he had genuine paranormal powers.
He could, for example, have been a highly charistmatic and successful medium (a fake one).

Thats a big call isnt it? People have a great sense for B.S dave. I think he would be caught out just like all the fake mediums are.

And,some people do not have a great sense of B.S. Valura smile

Hence the number who have fallen prey to fake mediums/healers, some of these tragic stories have been covered by respectable TV documentaries.

Much of this discussion comes down to opinions, but, before continuing, I will state that this-

Written by:

caught out just like all the fake mediums are.

Is almost certainly false- given that so many have been exposed, it would, IMO, be naive to doubt that some escape exposure and continue to operate.

Where Derran Brown is concerned, having seen what he can do, personally I have no doubt whatsoever, that, if he'd wished, he could have taken an alternative route as a fake medium.

I believe he would have very little difficulty finding gullible individuals who would happily hand over their cash and, go on to recommend him highly to friends (IMO).

Let me make this VERY CLEAR, cos I don't want to be falsley accused like Jeff has been-

I have not, and am not, saying that all mediums/energy healers are fake.

Simply that some are (whether intentionally or not)).

Written by: Valura

Dave do you think that some thigs said in this thread has turned into a bit of a personal attack on my abilities?

Personally, if we broadly split the commenters of this thread into two groups- the 'believers' vs the 'sceptics'; in all honesty, I've felt/seen more insults/attacks from individuals (not you Valura) in the believers camp.

Telling Jeff to 'Get Laid' not only contributes nothing, but is an attempt to insult.

My feelings of any kind of 'alternative spirituality' is that the highest benefit is that of making the practitioners better people- more objective, less hostile, more tolerant etc.

That, IMO, on this thread, has been lacking.

If, Jeff had been personally insulting, the appropriate response would not be for your friends/supporters to be insulting back (IMO).

Additionally, as an energy-healer, and one who obviously has committed a lot of time, thought and effort into her work, I would encourage you to not take suggestions for proof as personal attacks.

It's entirely up to you whether you wish to engage with such requests, but , to view them as personal attacks is, IMO, to misunderstand their intent.

As you may know, my 'Ultimate Theory of Reality' thread has seen recent activity.

Pretty much every reply in that 10-page thread has been an attempt to bring the theory down- I welcome it; they give me a better understanding of the theory and enable me to better present it to sceptics.

Suppose some-one posted 'Your theory, from a scientific perspective, is rubbish'.

Hopefully, they'd try to say why, but, even if they didn't, my response would be, in that instance, to agree fully.

UToR, from a scientific perspective, is incredibly weak, if only for the fact that it doesn't, as far as I can tell, provide a single observational prediction that could be tested.

That's OK, UToR is not a scientific theory and I feel no need for scientific approval.

I'd suggest Valura, that a similar stance may be approriate for you.

To your credit, you have previously admitted that you don't have a good grasp of scientific method.

I'd also suggest that it would be useful for you to really try and get into the head of sceptical positions like Jeff.

As far as I can tell, he's been pretty sincere and reasonable- understanding that people like Jeff are not closed-minded bigots trying to bring down alternative views of reality, is going to be to the benefit of both parties.

And, to finish, to your credit Valura, despite, IMO, taking some things too personally, you've shown a fair bit of restraint and been honest and objective; more so than some of the people defending/supporting you.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Jeff, thats not fair. Not wanting to do things your way is not being closed minded. It might simply mean that people dont want to do things your way. Which is ok really...

Not everyone needs proof the way you do dude... and I dont think its being nice to label us closed minded because we dont submit to your ideas.

I believe in many things. I would be happy to have someone come up with a test that could prove them. But I dont need it. I dont believe any less because those tests havent been done on me and on top of that, I am willing to keep exploring to see how much I can see.

This does not make me closed minded except in the eyes of those who label me so.

Love is the law.

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
depends what you meen about photographing auras the tequnique that your properly refering to is here https://skepdic.com/kirlian.html
of course there is nothing unusal or mistical about it about it its a very well understood phyical effect.

if a belefe is true for one person and not for others this would be very easy to check eg supose i beleaved 2+2=5 if it was true for me but not for you we could check that by doing 2+2 on a caculator you would see a 4 appear on the screen but i would see a 5 however this doesn't happen we both see the same result. the same is true for other scientif experiments though of course people interprate the results in diffrent ways the raw results are the same regardles of whos reading the readout. this implys that things are universaly true or the world would be a very very confusing place where half the people would see one thing and the other half would see another.
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1165841620)

1,189 posts

Posted:
I still cling to the opinion that people are inherently good, reasonable and open minded, but this thread has certainly shaken my faith in all three.

If someone could demonstrate their alledged abilities under scientific settings I would certainly take it seriously. But I've certainly realised that other people on this thread aren't open minded at all, as I seem to be the only person who would be willing to change. frown

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
But thats not true for all of us jeff...

dont let em beat you down...

Love is the law.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
 Written by: robnunchucks

if a belefe is true for one person and not for others this would be very easy to check eg supose i beleaved 2+2=5 if it was true for me but not for you we could check that by doing 2+2 on a caculator you would see a 4 appear on the screen but i would see a 5 however this doesn't happen we both see the same result. This implys that things are universaly true or the world would be a very very confusing place.

Yes, but I believe in faeries and my sister doesnt. Can fairies count?

Love is the law.

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
if you caught a fairy in a jar and then took it back and showed your sister if the existance of fairys is universaly true you would both see the fairy in the jar.

however if one of you did and the other didn't. then there are two posibiltys, one of you is delusional or diffrent things realy are true for diffrent people we could test which of these it is, with a simple experiment. we have something hidden behind a sheat or in a box you dont know what. the fairy goes and looks at what it is then tells you what it is.

if diffrent things are true for diffrent people then you should be able to corretly guess the contence of the box every time with help from your fairy. even though your sister can't see, touch , smell, hear the fairy

i'ed like to second jeffs post we seem to have reached an impass in the debate

-those that dont need proof beleave

-those that need proof dont beleave

-those that could supply proof beleave they dont have to.

until one of the above changes i dont see how we can do much more than talk in circles frown

by proof i meen a scientificly valid experimental test. would everyone agree thats the stage we've reached or is it just me who thinks this?
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1165843359)

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Jeff if you have not experienced meditation and the awakening of energies within yourself i would suggest that you try a few different forms of meditation until you find one that works for you. Why? well im sure there is a physical phenomenon that could be measured to test it but unless you know what it is thats alot of trial and error and finding ppl willing to put in the time to "research" it with you could be tricky unless you have loads of $$$ so compensate them for their time.

So i think that the whole energy stuff is going to have to be something that you have to experience to be able to investigate it, in much the same way that you can tell someone who is blind every single fact there is about the colour red they will never be able to move beyond the intellectualisation of the colour red as they havnt actually experienced it.

in much the same way that you can read all day about tantra but until you actually feel your partners energy dance with yours and lose the sensation of self you can never really get it. so maybe you should take on some of the burden of "proof" yourself as your the one that will benifit from it not the ppl who have their own experiences.

back ontopic

From time to time when i meet someone who is really pashionate about what they are talking about (usually at a semiare) i will be able to see everything but at the same time i half cant its like everything around them goes bright (kind of the same sort of experience you get when going from a really dark room to outside but more sharper with the details of the person). The guy who introduced me to meditation told me that i was seeing their aura, something along the lines of an enthusiastic student with an enthusiastic teacher creating an energetic bond.

Valura still waiting for that pm on stuff to read smile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

enthusiast
363 posts

Posted:
Well meditation is abit diffrent from aura reading there is alot of reliable scientific evidence to show that meditation can have a mesurable and significant effect on the mind and body. But thats not realy supriseing as there attached smile and as the placebo effect has shown the mind can have a powerful influence on the body.

Also with your example of the blind man and the colour red. Yes while he wouldn't be able to visualise it but he could still prove wether or not someone could see the colour red without seeing it him self.

He could do this by geting five objects indisigusable to him such as five identical cubes with the same texture. only one of which is red, randomly arrangeing them without the other person seeing but so that he knew which the red cube was. then asking the person to pick the red cube. Of course becuase the man can see red he would nail it every time.

The same experiment could in principle be done with auras. five objects that are identical on the surface to normal people but one has a diffrent aura. maby five boxs but one with a person hideing inside.

that is not to say you dont feel the things you talk about im sure you do but are they an external force working from outside the mind and influenceing your brain, or an internal force within your own brain influenceing your emotions and perceptions? I beleave it is the latter however this doesn't detract from the things you feel they are still just as valid as before.

But again there is always the posiblity i am wrong and just like a blind man who can't experiance the colour red and and so doesn't beleave in it. Fortunatly it is still posable to demonstrate that it exists to me.
EDITED_BY: robnunchucks (1165845525)

1,189 posts

Posted:
Within the world today there are a very large number of people who believe very strange things.

Some people believe that aliens are studying us by rectal probing. Some people believe Yuri Gellar can bend spoons. Some people belive everything the pope says is correct. Some people people believe that hell phyically exists beneath our feet. Still others think the Earth is flat. Others still believe they can live without eating.

All of them make the same general point: They know it's true, why should they have to prove it to a close minded skeptic. If they would just open thier mind to the energies.

All I'm asking is to be shown wrong in a rigorous manner on this one issue. I'm not currently interested in seeing or feeling what you think you do at the moment. I'm not saying anything doesn't exist. I don't want your pity that I can't see the energy. All I'm asking is that someone shows that they can do what they believe they can do.

If anyone is interested. If anyone is at all, just give me a concise description of your claims and we can work from there.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
Pity?

Get of your high horse jeff. I was just trying to be nice.

Love is the law.

1,189 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ado-p

Pity?

Get of your high horse jeff. I was just trying to be nice.

That wasn't in response to you, good sir. You are a nice man.

A number of things have been have been said to me outside this thread since I started asking for evidence. They have certainly shaken my faith in man kinds nature.

ado-pGOLD Member
Pirate Ninja
3,882 posts

Posted:
In that case, I take it back and apologise for jumping to conclusions.... smile

Love is the law.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think this is yet to be said but needs to:

*hipthrust*

wink

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
 Written by: robnunchucks

Also with your example of the blind man and the colour red. Yes while he wouldn't be able to visualise it but he could still prove wether or not someone could see the colour red without seeing it him self.

the point was more he would have the knowledge of the colour red but no understanding of it, it carries kind of the same value as wrote learning as while he could discuss at length topics to do with the colour red it would just be symbol manipulation with no attached understanding.

Written by: jeff(fake)

If anyone is interested. If anyone is at all, just give me a concise description of your claims and we can work from there.

If you are genuinely interested in either proving or disproving ppls claims and are not being a troll then surely you are prepared to do the due diligence to prepare a scientific test? how can you possibly offer a valid insight on how to test for something if you have no understanding/background knowledge of what it is that is being tested? If you are the man of science that you claim you are and where going to do the equivalent to objectively prove or disprove the theory of relativity surely you would do the background reading first?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Page: ......