Page: ...
The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Hi all

I've been studying the use of complementary therapies in palliative care for a research project at Uni. I've been looking at how these often clinically unproven therapies are being integrated into conventional medical care for the dying, the reasons for it and the benefits of it e.t.c.

One of the things I've been up to is watching a therapist give reiki treatments to patients. I started talking to the therapist afterwards about the 'energy body' and if she can see it. She says she just feels the energy, but cannot see it.

I personally would like to believe that we each have an aura or 'energy body', but at the same time I don't like buying into things without a healthy dose of scepticism also. So I was wondering what you guys all think...

If anyone also wants to argue for or against auras, or give their personal experiences with 'energy', I'm interested in whatever you guys have to say.

Cheers.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
not sure yet, im not after proof, but i dont know nearly enough about them.

*awaits valura's aura cleansing workshop in october ubblove *

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
I can see and feel peoples auras,two reasons I firmly believe in their existance.

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I've talked before about the use of the word "believe"....

There hasn't ever been a scientific test that can prove the existance of them. That doesn't mean that they've been disproven at all though, it could be that we're not testing the right things or in the right way.

There's too many home fires burning and not enough trees

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
I wouldnt use the word beleive but i think there is definately a presence of a aura. A feeling? Could that be another word for an aura? A presense? Or am i totally off?

ma'tinaBRONZE Member
multiplex
611 posts

Posted:
I don't just believe in it, especially as believe is a "difficult" word.

I can see and sometimes even feel the aura of others....

- Ho Sa -
kisses & peace & love to beautiful madges
*rever le temps le prendre*

DarthMeauxThe artist formerly known as Phae'xorl.
145 posts
Location: South-East Ohio (the foothills of the Appalacian M...

Posted:
Chalk me up as a believer in most things.

"...heaven is ordering a six piece chicken nugget and getting seven...and a switchblade."

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
I have a certain type of synesthesia that means that when a person talks I see colours and shapes surrounding them. These images change dependent on the mood and the way the person is talking but are always constant (ie if a person is lying the colours are the same). To top it off everyone that I meet has their own subtly different 'aura' so I do believe in them but I don't think it has anything to do with body energy. I think its merely someone with synesthesia interpreting what they see or feel when in contact with other people. Believe I'm mad if you will...

Thats thrown the cat into the HoPers.

Have faith in what you can do and respect for what you can't

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
skepdic.com has some info on auras:

https://skepdic.com/auras.html

Also, wikipedia mentions synesthesia as an option:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auras

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
The only time ive heard anone use a person aura in a scentence was on will and grace ^_^

'Love to fondle you on the way out karen but graces aura is a filthy brown today'

Love it when they makes jokes about that stuff, ide like to say that to someone in real life actualy lol

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I can feel them, and given enought time and enough none-eye blinking, can see them, usually as halos of light, very occasionally as colour, normally on people I know well. The trick is not to look too hard, and look through someone, like you do at one of those 3-D pictures

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
normally on people I know well

I know it seems like I'm ramming the synesthete card down everyones throats but I genuinely do think that it is the reason why people are able to see auras. If you know a person well enough then you can pick up on the little changes in speach paterns or body movements or whatever your flavour of synesthesia picks up on and interpret them as an aura. Like I said earlier I can pick up on how a person is feeling by how they talk to me. With my friends (most of them I've known for quite a while) I can pick up on it within a few words, however, it takes me a while to pick up the same things on people who I've never met before. Eera, I wonder if the auras you see or feel are fixed (ie they are unique from one person to the next) and constant (they never change no matter when you see the person) as this is what several doctors have defined a synesthetic connection as.

I apologise again if it does seem like I'm ramming it down your throats but I'm doing a bit of research into synesthesia to try and get some answers into my own form and am absolutely fascinated by the whole aura thing as I can link it directly to my connection.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: onefinalstep

when a person talks I see colours and shapes surrounding them. These images change dependent on the mood and the way the person is talking but are always constant (ie if a person is lying the colours are the same

Me too. But only around people's hands, and a limited range of colours with very specific 'meanings' or associations This started to happen for me about 20 years ago, after I gave a gnomic little old Irish nun a massage. Afterwards she said she appreciated the massage and that she had given me a 'gift' in exchange. She even winked for heavens sake. I was working as a counsellor shortly after and started to see these colours when people talked. I rarely see them now as I am more 'disengaged' from people, and am not so often with them when they are experiening things intensely.

There's also Kirlian photography to consider.....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
The therapist I interviewed said she couldn't see auras, she could feel them. She described a scene during her first Reiki training sessions when her teacher was throwing balls of different coloured energy from hand to hand, she couldn't see a thing but lots of people in the room were saying 'Wow! That's amazing!'...

This is one of those phenomenon I have real trouble getting my head around. I do yoga and meditation and sometimes feel like I get a glimpse of these things, but I've studied psychology too so I know there's so many things the brain could do that would create the same effect.

Whatever the therapist did, it definitely had an impact on the patient.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
1. there's a difference between thinking you see an aura/feeling auras and there actually being something there [i.e. as opposed to a projection of something funny going on in your head]. i'd love to know why people think auras are real.

2. 'gnomic' means 'pertaining to slightly hackneyed folk wisdom', not 'like a gnome'. just so you know.

ture na sig

Hubert_CumberdaleSILVER Member
[psylocibin fingerbobe].
479 posts

Posted:
I'm sceptical towards this kind of thing and I hate seeing people taken advantage of. I would never try to invalidate anyones personal experience of it - indeed there may be many genuine accounts of 'something special' going on, but lets face it, most of the studies supporting it are completely bogus.

The problem is that people *want* to believe and (sadly) there are stacks of unscrupulous people out there who are eager to cash in on these individuals by writing volumes of mystical nonsense about it.

LycanthropeThe original drunk/stoned/vegetarian shapeshifter
209 posts

Posted:
i once met a person who had an aura it was kind of a strange experience i didnt know what it was at the time so i just kept quiet this has not happend since, it could of been a one of trip but it really had me confused for awhile. there are some strange happenings in this world

Lycan:are you a citrus fruit?
Orange:no
Lycan:dam, i wanted to make citrus fruit pie.
*Lycan walks off completely unaware he has once again been outwitted by the intellectual orange*

ClairebeSILVER Member
Destroyer of kitchen appliances
180 posts

Posted:
There is a place in my town that claims it can take a photograph of your aura. They charge £15 though, which I think is too much for someone like me to pay. I'm a poor student, and I'd only get it done out of curiosity.

My brain is about as useful as a chocolate teapot, but unfortunately not as tasty.

Squueee!

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
you dont need a photo to see aura (tho i still want to get one done). just as in Blu-Valleys thread she said she'd lost her sparkle. i think her aura had 'sagged' due to her broken heart.

if anyone has read the book CELESTINE PROPHERCY they know all out energy, how people obtain it, gain it (from doing something good that you enjoy and has made someone else happy) and steal it (from arguing, 'getting one up on someone' and being bitchy to people). we all have a force of energy that we fill from different methods. its when you realise how you fill it, that you can really be happy pretty much all the time.

I have to admit that my way of filling up lately has been by being a c**k to people, drinking a lot and taking drugs.now im going on walks to the beach and around my village, and spinning more too.all these things give me energy, so much that when your so full of it, theres no need to be awful to people, friends, relatives etc.but anyway, i recommend this book muchly.

you know that one person who makes eveyones head spin when they enter the room? well its their energy. beautiful things are full of it. compare a wood subtly lit on a spring evening, bluebells dapple the floor around you,to a a pit of rubble. we all love beautiful things, essentially they make us better people because we fill up on them.

i firmly believe in energy bodies/auras

You'll find me on the dance floor

SymBRONZE Member
Geek-enviro-hippy priest
1,858 posts

Posted:
I don't see how our feelings about things (after all, it's all perception) is somehow related to this "life force" type energy stuff.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but should I be amazed that going on a walk makes you feel better than taking drugs, drinking and being rude to people? Sorry, I don't see what that has to do with it! (I'm glad you're feeling better because of it though...)

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: quiet

2. 'gnomic' means 'pertaining to slightly hackneyed folk wisdom', not 'like a gnome'. just so you know.

Thanks that is brilliant!!!!! What a great mistake to have picked up on!!!!!! Specially seeing it 'reinforces' your point of view.. you must have cracked up when you saw that!
cheers! ubblol

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Written by: MarkMark

The problem is that people *want* to believe and (sadly) there are stacks of unscrupulous people out there who are eager to cash in on these individuals by writing volumes of mystical nonsense about it.

I know what you are saying about he reams of nonsense filling bookshops, but actually I didn't want to believe anything about it... the phenomena started happening and that was it. It took a while to figure out (empirically) what the relationships of the colours were to what people were experiencing. There was also a time just after my husband died when a woman who I didn't know at all walked up to me in the street and said "Oh my goodness what's happened to you, half your aura is missing!' She had certainly picked up on something!

old hand
853 posts

Posted:
That's the kind of thing I mean... I know there's loads of books out there that claim you can see auras if you buy the book and follow the '12 easy steps' or whatever, and most of this I expect is bull and probably does not work. But I've seen healers tell where previous tumours have been through feeling this supposed 'energy' of their patient, without any prior knowledge to the patient's particular condition and without even touching the patient. Wierd...

Idolized by Aurinoko

Bob Dylan

vanizeSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,899 posts

Posted:
well, I voted yes to the aura thing, though really I am more of a believer in 'vibe' and body chemistry signals.

-v-

Wiederstand ist Zwecklos!

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
Written by: quiet

1. there's a difference between thinking you see an aura/feeling auras and there actually being something there [i.e. as opposed to a projection of something funny going on in your head]. i'd love to know why people think auras are real.

I know you didn't mean to be offensive but the idea that there is something 'funny' going on in my head I just find a little wrong. I had MRI scans recently that showed no unusual activity in my brain and yet I still see what I see. I know what I see isn't normal and I know that a lot of people do think its a creation of my imagination but what I see in association with a person usually has something to do with the persons personality. My friend who I describe in the "Are There Any Other Synesthetes Here?" thread is an exctptionally strong person, however another friend who I see as a red triangluar prism has weaknesses that she tries so hard to hide and pretends to act like the first friend. I knew this the first time I met her so I do believe in auras because what I see is somehow connected to both what I hear and the personallity of the other person even if I only see them once in the street.

Y.T.SILVER Member
hopeless addict
121 posts

Posted:
I definately believe in the whole aura thing, though have never been able to see them myself. I can fell them after learning and practicing reiki for a while, but only when i focus. Although still highly skeptical after taking a couple of reiki courses, i've witnessed enough to change my mind now, beyond simple coincidence and people wanting/needing to believe in them.

Ninjas NEVER give up!

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
I do believe in auras, mainly because i can see them. For years i assumed everyone saw what i saw, even when i first heard of auras, i didn't think to link it with my own experience. Usually i just see a kind of disturbance around people, kind of like the way you see rising heat. It's like people affect the air around them or something.

One day while bored in a lecture i decided to concentrate more on this, and to my surprise, suddenly it would brighten, and i could see light around people. I don't usually see colours, and to be honest, i very rarely even try to see much at all. It feels intrusive to other people, like i'm looking into them. Sometimes i can see if friends, (or random strangers) are low, and i'll try and send them some light, although really i think this is just me visualising how i would like to help them.

The night before my mother died, i saw some very strange stuff around her (then again, she was extremely ill, and i was exhausted, so maybe my mind was doing strange things). Either way, the experience haunts me sometimes, and i don't know what i'd do if i saw the same type of thing around someone again.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
Written by: Sym_

I don't see how our feelings about things (after all, it's all perception) is somehow related to this "life force" type energy stuff.

Sorry if this sounds rude, but should I be amazed that going on a walk makes you feel better than taking drugs, drinking and being rude to people? Sorry, I don't see what that has to do with it!

maybe you just had it good. drugs do make you feel better when your kidding yourself that its better than actually living life.when staying in and smoking seems a more fulfilling option than going on a nice country walk (which im sure many do everyday). being rude and horrid, STEALS energy from people (like laughing at someones expense) that can leave you feeling bigger and better than that person, making them feel small. therefore your 'energy' levels are either increased or decreased by other peoples actions toward you, creating a 'sense' of full or empty beings.

this 'fullness of energy' can be tangable to some people. you know when they feel rubbish, or when there running up the walls with excitment. im talking about how we obtain an aura type energy field. that was my point, and sure it was a little of topic, but why belittle me for that?

You'll find me on the dance floor

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
onefinalstep:

1. MRI doesn't display fine detail. so, for instance, it's not clear that MRI would pick up the effects of LSD. but if you take LSD and see things, i'd attribute that to the drug. therefore your clear MRI scan doesn't mean that your brain isn't behaving differently from mine.

2. Now I wasn't suggesting that what you see is just a creation of your imagination. I'm quite open to the possibility that it's related to the person's personality. But what I *am* questioning is whether the aura is a straightforward perception of something which is manifest in your visual field (in the same way that you have a visual image of a cat whenever there is a cat in the room), or whether it is a projection of what you perceive their personality to be. And before you say 'well, I see these auras before I get to know their personality', please note that people are very good at making snap judgements of personality. I don't see auras, but I do get a 'feel' for what someone is like before I talk to them. This feel isn't always right, though. I've got a friend who sees auras, incidentally.

i might be coming to st andrews in october, by the by. fancy meeting for a pint?

ture na sig

Sporkyaddict
663 posts

Posted:
quiet:

I understand where you are coming from but I've always maintained that what I see because of what I hear is seperate from my normal field of vision. I personally believe that an aura is based in some form of crossed sense that allows people to percieve things that others can't, be it electromagnetic radiation or otherwize.

As for your point about my brain behaving differently to yours, I fully agree with that, however, its behaving in a way that isn't detectable using modern science.

I'd love to meet up in St Andrews at some point. I'm one of the union regulars so you're most likely to find me in there during the day, other than that I'm a rocsoc and livesoc regular. If you want to drop me a line at some point then my St Andrews email is al226

quietanalytic
503 posts

Posted:
hmm

it's unlikely to be EM radiation, since the wavelengths that we *do* emit are fairly few. we don't give out radio waves, for instance [if you know how radio masts work, this should be pretty obvious].

so i'm then puzzled as to what you might be detecting, and how you're detecting it. do those who see auras have a special extra sensory organ? where is it? if it's picking up some kind of radiation or emission, what is the nature of this radiation or emission? can it be blocked, tampered with, altered, or generated artificially? more to the point, how on earth could it encode information about the person's personality?

ps sure thing: i'll drop you an email or pm as soon as I know whether or not i've secured funding.
EDITED_BY: quiet (1122829135)

ture na sig

Page: ...