Forums > Technical Discussion > Split rings err...well splitting!

Login/Join to Participate

fiownewbie
21 posts

Posted:
Hiya,

Ok i've just done an hour of genetic splicing and created a monster (this Poi malarkey is addictive). My first poi were fire Poi with chains, very nice but too hard to practice with. I just bought some new glow Poi but they kept getting really tangled, the string would get into the metal hooks iyswim.

My solution, hang my glow Poi off the metal chains of my fire Poi. Now this is a really nice set, it feels good with chains that don't tangle although maybe a little heavy for me. I think i need to shorten them to reduce the strain and lighten them off a bit.

The main problem I have is that some of the split rings have well started to unravel. I nearly lost a Poi though the window (closed at the time) eek.

So is there an accepted item, widget, doofrey to be used for links to swivels that aren't as weak as split rings? Oh and if so, where can I get them from, what kind of shops?

Thanks

fiow

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
split rings are notoriously bad and shouldn't be used for fire poi in my opinion. Use quicklinks instead (designed for chain and available from hardware stores or HoP store)

fiownewbie
21 posts

Posted:
thanks for the quick response flid,

I'll get myself to B&Q tonight.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
not tried b&q, but homebase's selection sucks smile They look like this:

Non-Https Image Link

It's worth taking your chain along with you and seeing if the fit before buying them (assuming you can sneak them out of their packaging without being spotted on cctv)

fiownewbie
21 posts

Posted:
So they do actually stock them at Homebase? Just in case they don't have any at B&Q. I just need *some* no matter how bad as i can't do my Poi practice atm.

flidBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,136 posts

Posted:
when i last checked (admittedly over a year ago) they only sold quite big chunky ones, which were too big for the links of the chain i was using at the time.

fiownewbie
21 posts

Posted:
Bum, well this is quite large chain. I'll see what they have in stock.

Maybe it's no go'er but at least i know what i'm looking for now.

Cheers

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
I use some reasonably small ones from B&Q.. the ones I saw in Homebase were mahoosive!

Cake or Death?

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
The chains that I have use 2 splitrings instead of 1. they are also (according to the manufacturer) better quality than the usual split rings you pick up in the hardware store. A mate of mine has had a pair of the same fire poi for a year, and there is no wear to the either split ring.

Still, if you can get quicklinks, those are probably better.

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
My led poi are on loops made out of hiking boot laces. Just make sure you tie a sturdy knot in them.

My fire poi have quicklinks. Be careful to check that they are tight regularly. I nearly lost a fire head in the pond in my local park a while ago. Pretty lucky it was heading towards the pond to be honest.

(dont check straight after putting them out - it hurts frown )

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Get a couple pairs of beefy pliers and you can use stainless lockwashers come in all sizes and available at just about any hardware type store out there. They're not something you're going to be able to swap out with your bare hands though.

Non-Https Image Link

That or go to a fishing shop and look for super heavy duty stainless fishing swivels

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
With the force present at the end of fully loaded fire poi I wouldn't recomend anything that 'bends' into shape like a lock washer. Like split rings they're designed for a completely different purpose and not suitable at all for safe guarding those around you (if you get burned it's your own fault) while you spin.

Id' say quick links are the only way to go. Safe, sturdy, and make sure you buy stainless steel ones cuz plated brass sucks ass.

The fishing swivels etc are ok but I'd recomend really the really strong sea fishing variants to ensure that the pulling weight equivelent on the end of you poi is far less than the swivel is rated at.

Written by: Seye:

Aw seye! A valuable lesson learned hug

Let's relight this forum ubblove

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I'd generally agree, but play with stainless lock washers much and you'll see how incredibly strong they are. Generally I go by the rule that if I can hang off of it it's strong enough for me, I know that a lot of ballchains out there wouldn't stand up to that test. since afterall, all the balls are just bent into place. wink

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: Dunc

Written by: Seye:

Aw seye! A valuable lesson learned hug

**Note to self... beer + fire + trying to make up for the beer by being really safety conscious = pain** frown

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:

All the fire poi I build for peeps are internally secured through the structure, no swivels / and or split rings, although some older sets are that are still in daily use were put together with heavy duty split rings, two years of wear and never had any probs.

mark

KatrinaGOLD Member
enthusiast
352 posts

Posted:
I had a lot of problems with split rings on fire poi so i started making them using quick links (not stainless steel ones though as I'm working on a budget) and for my swivels I use ferret swivels (they're about 2.5cm x 2cm and only cost 20p). I've only found one place to get them though so once a year I bulk buy from them.

Haven't had any problems with them yet *touch wood* biggrin

One day i'll learn to resist gravity...