Skittishmember
64 posts

Posted:
Ok, this is going to sound really rubbish and sucky but does anyone have any tips for begginers like me? Cause i'm really not very good...

So what your saying is, if I take just ONE more pill...

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
do these...
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons/poi_lessons.php/poi/1

and just keep practising every time you have 5 minutes spare.

eventually it will all fall into place and feel natural.

It also helps to have others to spin with. It makes it much easier to learn that way smile

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Ive noticed a few tricks start from the butterfly, so if you cang get that one learned your halfway there.

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Pretty much all tricks start from (or are based on) a weave or butterfly.

When you can do both of those the next thing is threading the needle (a butterfly where you swap which hand is on top) and the waist wrap (a weave that kind of bounces round your waist).

Once you have those down you can start moving them about and turning round with them. Dont turn round too much though, you'll get dizzy.

The thing that I found IMMENSELY useful was just swinging the poi slowly and letting the randomly fall in different places around your body. Just keep getting out of the way and see how long you can keep it up and how many different places you can make them swing. This is also a great way to suss out the amount of inertia you need to get isolations.

After that you have wraps, airwraps, hyperloops, etc.

I'll try to do some video's of a few simple ones that there are no lessons for on the site smile

Skittishmember
64 posts

Posted:
Cool, yeah, i just about cracked the butterfly last night so i can start moving on to some others now. Oh yeah, and what is the one where you do the weave but keep them going for an extra spin on each side cause i figuerd that one out as well... by accident.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
skittish- five beat weave sounds like. Anyway, if you do a search you will find many more sites such as:

www.domorepoi.com
www.motsplace.com
www.tamingfire.com
www.feuershow.de

I haven't done proper links cos I am slack

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
spank

[Old link]

shrug

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Written by: Unnamed Cutie On Front

*yawn*

[Old link]

shrug

Do you have a bot that just posts that every time certain words appear in a post?

You'll make the newbie's think that poi people are unfriendly.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
we are not really. smile

See.. i smile sometimes ubbangel

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
You really are No. 1 wink

biggrin

Skittishmember
64 posts

Posted:
Thanks everyone, these are great.
I watched some of the videos the other night. How long does it take to be so good? How long have any of you lot been practicing?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
you have no idea!

wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Skittishmember
64 posts

Posted:
huh?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I was replying to Seye...

In reply to you, I've been spinning about 8 months and I don't see myself as piss-poor... but then I'm not great, either.

The time it takes to 'get so good' as you say, depends on the spinner, the surroundings, actual time spent spinning along with a load of other variables...

Some people pick things up quicker than others. It helps if you have someone else there whom is able to point out where you're going wrong. Whereabouts in somerset are you from? I know there's some really good spinners down that way you should get in contact with.

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
you are welcome to join us at our spinny meets, we aren't scary at all really ubbloco and we are happy to help you learn! PM me if you wanna meet up biggrin

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
LTS - You're right. Most of the time I truly don't biggrin

I've been spinning for just over a year.
My learning was massively accelerated by having someone to spin with who is generally amazing at poi, devilsticks, juggling, etc. and his twin staff stuff is out of this world! Its a lot harder to get the basics if you cant watch someone who is already good up close.
I also had a big park next to my house all year so we all spent every night in the park playing with fire.

It seems like every time I come on here someone's come up with a whole load of new tricks that I'd never even thought of. I think being 'good' is really just a matter of oppinion.

I found it MUCH easier to learn the basics of poi than devilsticks! I'm still struggling along on that front.
I have no-one to spin with at the moment though frown Its no-where near as much fun on your own. I think I'm starting to lose my touch already.
Bah! My staff should arrive in a couple of days though - time to start all over again. biggrin

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
the no idea thing was referring to UCoF being No. 1.

Don't worry... rolleyes

wink

Be Water My Friend.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I know - I just thought it was a pretty good comment about my mental state in general. biggrin

Skittishmember
64 posts

Posted:
In reply to loves the circus, I'm sorta near yeovil... ish... well i'm about 15 minutes away from yeovil i suppose.
I guess it would help to see someone doing it but then the problem is who?