Forums > Meet Others > UK: August - October 2005

Login/Join to Participate

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Hello all.

There are so many threads on people going to London, so I don't want to start another lengthy one.

So, this is just out there to tell poiple that I will be in UK (probably London) from around the 11th of August till end of october. I will sap all "travel advice" information from other threads on the subject. I would love to spin and meet up with other spinners, but Will only know when and where once I have secured a job and accomodation.

A bit about me: I live in Cape Town, South Africa. I am 19 and working a bit in the UK to get enough cash to budget-backpack through Europe. I thought of street performing as a way of working and travelling, but realise that it probably won't work out (I never knew you need licences to busk:/).

I play with poi, and am interested in staff and diablo.

Please PM me if you can help me with accomodation/work/information that doesn't pertain to other people on the board. otherwise, I will leech information off other threads in order to try keep the forums neat and tidy biggrin

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
You can probably busk outside events like gigs etc without getting into trouble with the law, and mostly they'll just ask you to move on and won't bother to arrest or anything like that. If you keep trying different locations it'll be ok.

You'll find lots of info in the events section and most folks here are really friendly and will help out with any questions etc. London is a very good place to be to meet folks too but don't forget about the rest of the uk!

Travel advice..... www.megabus.com is by far the cheapest from city to city if you book far enough in advance.

I hope you enjoy your time in the YooKay! biggrin

Let's relight this forum ubblove

blu_valleySILVER Member
fluffy mess
197 posts

Posted:
Hi, just trying to catch the last of the UK summer huh?I came over from SA four years ago and found that the TNT magazine is a godsend.Its like the travellers bible in the uk and is freely available once a week (I think its a monday) from outside tube stations. Youll find all the info you need on jobs, places to stay, whats going on etc at the most affordable prices in and around the London area.

Just a little heads-up though, London aint pretty and the cost of living is rather expensive ( I was a little miffed for the first six months until I managed to slide into it), but its dead easy to get a job and its filled with travellers too. Make your way to places like Nottingham and Brighton if possible,theyre very laid-back young cities and very visitor-friendly.Theyre also not too far away from London at all (an hour or two on the trains max)Theres also Manchester and Cardiff and loads of lovely little in-betweeny places which you will find out by word of mouth probably.

PM me if you need any other specific help.

Good luck and take care

ubbrollsmile

"I want to know if you can see beauty even when it's not pretty, every day,and if you can source your own life from its presence.." - Oriah Mountain Dreamer

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
ooh forgot to say you have to go to Bristol, there's a really good spinning scene and some really nice people too, and of course Shrewsbury is brilliant around the end of August wink

Let's relight this forum ubblove