Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Electric start fire-staff... :-)

Login/Join to Participate

ChumpyBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
It came to me like a vision...a premonision...and it stands to be one of the most beautiful staffs ever!!!. With removeable fuel holding wicks, and look [censored] spectacular when it lights up...

I owe it to myself to build this beast of fire and metal....and then worship it....And of course make sure it doesn't get stolen. I may have to make some sort of evil-staff-snatching-person alarm?!

Will get designs up as soon as I actually draw them...and the moment its just a thought that makes me smile... biggrin

Health is a secondary consideration when you have a lifestyle to maintain

Not seen a Banana do Double staff in the woods? You obviously weren't at that party!

'my guess would be staffers dont waste time talking bollox' - strugz

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
it will be even beautifuller when it's designed never to accidentally ignite the fuel supply when you're dipping the self-igniting staff into it...(!) smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Klaymen180 posts

Posted:
maybe some type of sprung switch which only triggers when youre spinning the staff fast enough :P. THAT, would be totally sweet.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
that thoguth had never occured to me.. you're as smart as your are-......
ok you're smart!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ChumpyBRONZE Member
78 posts

Posted:
No, I'm hoping to get it working like some sort evil gas-hob lighter...but about 5ft long and not kitchen friendly in anyway. The fuel-holding wicks will be no problem to make, drawing them out as I type

Klaymen....good call on the spring-type switch...will have to try and think of a way to make that work. My main concern is the rate at which the fuel is released. I can see some trial and a lot of error before getting it right. I'm aiming for about a 20mins burn

And during my dreaming of this beautiful staff, I came up with a hybrid. With normal wicks and hollow ends which would be filled up slowly with gas,somehow?!....I haven't worked out the tricky bits yet....and then ignite the ends with a fire ball out each side. My old staff used to do something like it. Sometimes one end would go out, there would be a very cool light saber type noise, and it would re-ignite. My staff was hollow sometimes allowing the flame to travel along the inside of the staff. Very cool when it happened!

Need to get back to drawing.....scribble,scribble,scribble

Health is a secondary consideration when you have a lifestyle to maintain

Not seen a Banana do Double staff in the woods? You obviously weren't at that party!

'my guess would be staffers dont waste time talking bollox' - strugz

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
good luck, you might think about using rocket igniters somewhere in your design, I have been playing with them with limited success so far, but you might have more success than me...which wouldnt be hard rolleyes redface ubbrollsmile

TheApprovingNinjaFrom the Ashes of a Ninja Rise THE HIPS OF RAGE
371 posts

Posted:
it's been disscussed before one suggestion was model rocket engines

Viva UGLY STAFF

darkdaysdawnBRONZE Member
1 post

Posted:
Look into using "nichrome" wire. It is used in the creation of "electric matches" for pyrotechnics (and rocket engine igniters), and also for stage pyro effects like flashpots.

A fine enough wire guage will light from a 9V battery (maybe less). You could probably hide a battery in the staff handle. Then, AFTER soaking with fuel, clip a strand of wire into some sort of clips near each wick. Start spinning. Press button hidden on handle. Voila, FIRE!

Anyway, that's how I was planning to build an electric ignition staff (and some flashpots).

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
problem. the flashpoint of a safe fuel, kerosene, parafin, lamp oil, is too high to be ignighted by the sudden and short lasting burst of fire created by that of nichrome wire. the only way this could work is if you had already lit the staff and had just blown it out, if it was still smouldering, then it should light. the voltage doesnt matter too much, but the amount of Amps pushed through it is what makes it combust, as im led to believe.

alternatively, you could use a system designed to heat up the fuel on the wick, so it would light from the nichrome wire, but this could get quite dangerous with the risk of vapours etc.

perhaps, a modified butane gas, electric start cigarette lighter. the re-fillable type. have it so there is a button or two on the handle that when pressed, light the lighters, a gas outlet with the sparker at either end. acting like you're holding a lighter to each end.

imho, its a bit too much hassle, when you could just get a cheap lantern and leave it on the ground.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
you are too right pineapple pete - the fuel choice is critical - I've had a couple of my versions get to the point where they smoke away quite happily eek but won't actualy light.

try a fuel with a different flashpoint

I've only ever tried 9V batteries - and I'm sick of buying them eek ubbloco ubblol

I really wish anyone who attempts this the best of luck and the best of patience

ubbrollsmile

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
erm, Ade, rechargable 9V batteries.

after reading the first few lines "removeable fuel holding wicks" thats given me a good idea. wood staff, with a sort-of pin system, as to get around carrying multiple staffs.

im gona go continue to think about / plan this.

cheers, pete biggrin

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
Written by: pineapple pete

erm, Ade, rechargable 9V batteries.

nana thankx
ummmmm, yes... didn't think of that... rolleyes

When you work on your pin system - which is a brilliant idea by the way, if you could unscrew your staff in two - ala pool cue style, then, you'd really have a portable toy to play with... smile

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
shall add it to the list of things to ponder. thanx

cheers, pete biggrin

MadDogMikemember
29 posts

Posted:
This is an old thread, I don't know if anyone ever looks at it again or if anyone ever got an electric start staff developed but here's an idea: Nichrome wire probably doesn't get hot enough to ignite any safe fuels but Nichrome wire wrapped around a couple of matchheads will ignite the matches, which in turn would ignite the wick. I don't think it would work while the staff was spinning as it would blow out the match, so much for your centrifical switch. Also would need to be careful that the matches didn't soak up fuel or they might not light. Maybe you could seal the matches and wire in plastic wrap, heatshrink tubing, etc.

"Better to burn out than it is to rust" - Neil Young

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MadDogMike

This is an old thread, I don't know if anyone ever looks at it again or if anyone ever got an electric start staff developed but here's an idea: Nichrome wire probably doesn't get hot enough to ignite any safe fuels but Nichrome wire wrapped around a couple of matchheads will ignite the matches, which in turn would ignite the wick. I don't think it would work while the staff was spinning as it would blow out the match, so much for your centrifical switch. Also would need to be careful that the matches didn't soak up fuel or they might not light. Maybe you could seal the matches and wire in plastic wrap, heatshrink tubing, etc.

Interesting, perhaps if waterproof matches were used...

ubbrollsmile

pop_n_freshmember
48 posts

Posted:
from what i understand a match head wouldnt go out whilst spinning. they burn at extrememly high temperatures, light one and try blowing it out before the head has burnt down.

Just call me Pop.