Forums > Social Chat > fiery wings of death.....................

Login/Join to Participate

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
i prefer to call them "sish kebab".anyway,how many people out there spin this wicked tool???i love them!!!no water can put out this fire...........

frank bentzin

adrianmember
58 posts

Posted:
i never have but im keen to try, the only deterant is the cost of the amount of kevlar and fuel requiered to make it all work.....but one day ill make some smile------------------ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

ladies and gentelmen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice...

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
its a bit late since ure posting but hopefully ull c disive been thinkin 4 a while about a dragon costume with fire wings could u give me some pointers on how u made ures if u have any pics 2 that would b wiked cheers in advance

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

fireflymember
52 posts

Posted:
what i call sish kebab (fiery wings of death) are poi,but the whole length of the chain is burning.you want to make a costum with wings right?!so log on to https://www.csu.edu.au/faculty/arts/commun/cycle/manual/fire/whips.htm
there they have an instruction for firewings.don't build the whips!!!see the mail from dangerboy.he just burned brutal!!!

frank bentzin

becBRONZE Member
521 posts

Posted:
Re other type of fire wings (more costume type than poi)... a few of the groups here in Brisbane have variants on the theme.. Valkyrie from Fire Inc. has made up two different designs - one with 6 poles with wick on the end of each all attached to a back frame - they move up & down and you can swoop around with them, but they are a little bit limiting in movementthe other new set she made up recently hook on to a belt brace and have poles that are held by the arms with wick that zigzags along as an outline(make any sense?... difficult to explain..)Then there's the set of incredibly huge wings that Phil has made up - a little bit like Valkyrie's first set - with the poles, but he's also put wick between them too...The wings that Elke & I have made up both come from the forearms - to allow for lots of movement from the shoulders & elbows... you can really dance with them. The first set I made (and subsequently lost after the third gig I did with them.. boohoo...) were too heavy - made of aluminium tubing - three spokes with wick on the ends and rope wick between each spoke...For the new (and much better set) Elke made up the frames of a heavy guage wire in a kind of spider-webby pattern, and I covered this in rope wick - they are still a little heavy, but are heaps and heaps of fun...I'll try to get some photos of them at the Moon Fest on Sunday (anyone who'll be in/around Brisbane come along, email me for details) and I'll put them on our moon fest website (http:communities.msn.com/moonfest) so that you can see them...Oh, and another lovely thing that happened in Brisbane last weekend - one of the Federation of Australia celebration things was a big River Parade... and on the biggest barge was a group of fire performers yeahhhh!!! It was made up of the few professional groups from around Brisbane, as well as some great fire freelancers and was co-ordinated by Fire Inc. It was so much fun... the best thing was that it really highlighted what wonderful things can happen when a heap of fire artists get together, and there wasn't any big ego/competition or yucky stuff like that... just lots of respect & sharing and wonderful performance!

Ianddmember
39 posts

Posted:
My GOD! a thread about the firey wings of death, I sent in instructions to Malcolm about how to make them but he hasn't put it up. Basically just get yer chain, long bit of thick wick and wrap it round the chain spirally like and thread through the chain and wick together with bike brake cable, leave about two inches of chain at the top for handles and use leather! ONLY one thing though, you can't stop as the flame is right by your hands. I first saw them, didn't see the design though in the edinburgh festival some spanish busker had them and one friend here has made them to my design and I'm helping someone else make theirs tomorrow. You can see them in action one the Beltane vid in the video section. Enjoy!iandd@hotmail.com

soup!