Page:
TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Ok guys, I've done searches galore, I've had step by step help and I still haven't got anywhere near a fountain. I'm reading the instructions, but it just won't register with what I'm supposed to be doing! It's all got jumbled in my head as there's a lot of room in there ubblol

So. Can someone point me in the direction of a video with an example in it please? preferably one where you can see where the arms are going so I can see where I'm going wrong. Failing that, you could mail me a vid instead using my email address, which you'll find posted in the email address thread in the chat forum.

If I don't figure it out soon I really will cry!!! ubblol

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:

Search "Fountain" > Poi moves smile,
Try it again.

You are in a wrong thread..

:R

ps:https://www.spherculism.com/wiki/index.php?title=Fountain

POI THEO(R)IST

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
make sure you can do a forward weave. Then check that you can do a reverse weave. Then as long as you can do a windmill - you have the components of a fountain. go from fwd weave to reverse weave to windmill and back to forward weave without moving your feet (you need to pivot and twist a bit - but its not contortion) you are doing a fountain. now it can be more technically described in terms of beats, carries, etc, but dont stress about it too much.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
it's the transitions between that ya need to work on: 3 moves, that 3 transitions between each. keep practicing the transitions themselves.

the graceful twirler spends alot of time smoothing out their transitions so that their routines look like one big dance, it should be more difficult for the observer to identify single moves. IMHO.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
windmill...? umm wink

i reckon all you need to be able to do to spin a fountain is a fwd weave to rev weave.

but i agree - its all about the transition...

make the transition into a big circle and you're there smile

this page will give you instructions for the fountain.

you also get breakdowns of the bottom half of it which, whilst called lower fountain on that page, are ususally referred to as 'front waistwraps' smile

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
ok the way i learnt how to fountain:

"Ooh can i do a forward weave on my left side??" YAY!
"Ooh can i do a reverse weave on my right side??" *smack smack* YAY!
"Ooh can i link them??" *Thump smack crunch*....YAY!!

....3 days later

"Ooh a windmill fits in really well here!!"

Now in my opinion, it doesnt need a windmill in the middle, but if you can add it, it looks rad!

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
right I'm sure I got it, thanks for all your combined help (especially rev who's been really patient with me!)
My problem was with understanding wall planes eventually!!!

I'm not the first to admit i'm as thick as two short ones at times!

hugs all round!
hug

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

RevBRONZE Member
Bastard Newbie Messiah
1,269 posts

Posted:
glad that stuff I sent you helped.. hug

More useless information courtesy of Rev...
Confusing the masses, one post at a time...
"Obviously, you're not a golfer.."- The Dude
"Buy the ticket... Take the ride..." -Raoul Duke
"FEMA has never done catastrophe planning..."-Michael Brown

Poi_Romember
55 posts

Posted:
Hey Tickle..

how is your fountain coming along?

Danny

Thats Mr Poi-ro!
Qualified SCUBA Diver.. Not worked out how to fire spin and dive at the same time yet.. grr

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
um its tinkle....

and i have pics in my gallery of fountains. Plus every vid i've made has a fountain (check vid forum for links to vids) biggrin
bless you for asking lol

Poi_Romember
55 posts

Posted:
oops sooo sorry... i read it as tinkle but fingers just kept writing tickle.. forgive me.. it was WAY too early in the morning.. grr

OO ill have a peek.. brb

oo FAB!! looks pretty smart chick! WELL DONE... now i just gotta get it right..

i can do forward/reverse weave and windmills but getting the transition right.. NOT A CHANCE! grr...

I'm doing just what Vampyricacid said.. lol

Thats Mr Poi-ro!
Qualified SCUBA Diver.. Not worked out how to fire spin and dive at the same time yet.. grr

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
you don't have to have a windmill in a fountain.

I had so much trouble understanding planes and people's descriptions totally baffled me.

what you could do is start off in a windmill and lower your arms (to which ever side the the poi is moving) then bring it in front of your legs to the other side of your body, and weave yourself up to a windmill again.

A poi teacher friend of mine calls it the square weave, as there are four corners to a square...

e.g. you weave the right hand side of the weave in the bottom left corner (in front of your legs).
The left hand side of the weave is spun in the top left corner, behind the shoulder.
Then pass it in front of your face, high above your head from the left side to the right (with or without the windmill - its up to you).
Then as you change to the right hand side of the weave, move it to the top right corner, behind your other shoulder.
as you change to do the left side of the weave, bring your arms down to the bottom left corner and drag the weave down low in front of your legs and beginning again.
Thinking of it as a square helps, but it has to be a smooth circular motion.

people describe this move differently and my bad for repeating stuff, but I think I've described it easy for the average joe. (with no talk of planes!)

I've also just compiled a fountain video for the newbies biggrin

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
As much as I liked the test screens at the start and end of that vid, I'm going to have to say it's not a great tutorial - it's so dark you can't see what you're doing for a large amount of the time.

Also, when you turn, are you facing away from the camera? That blocks out what your arms are doing through the lower turn.

The effort's appreciated though, it may well help some people smile

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
My back is towards the camera - the vid isn't meant as a tutorial, just so people can have a quick visual reference for a fountain, how it flows etc, then when they see other members' vids with this move (executed more precisely) they'll go - oh that's a fountain!. I know its dark, it was a dark night!

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
There is no windmill in the fountain, as the circles are in front of the head.

For a demo of a real "Full Fountain".

Go to the media circus site

ie. https://www.mediacircus.biz/

Enter

Under dvd/videos

Choose the art of clubswinging

On the Clubswinging with Sharon and Kati: An A-to-Z of club swinging page

Download the sample video

Choose dial up or broad band. Windows or real player.

Watch the sample. They do “full fountain” in the demo.

Don’t worry about the clock positions.

Got It smile

Cheers.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

VampyricAcidSILVER Member
veteran
1,286 posts

Posted:
of course there is a windmill in a fountain, otherwise the transition at the top is too quick and it just becomes a fwd weave to a bwd weave. right, sunday the video camera is hopefully coming out so i'll put up a tutorial

Proudly Owned By The BMVC

Are You Sniffing My Mitten?

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
there isn't a windmill in a fountain, its weave - arc high passed head - weave - arc low passed legs - etc

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I agree with Tinkle,it is called upper fountain.

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
if you're gonna throw in a windmill, you might as well learn how to weave under your legs, then throw one of those in too, so it will be symmetrical ubbangel

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Written by: Vampyricacid

of course there is a windmill in a fountain, otherwise the transition at the top is too quick and it just becomes a fwd weave to a bwd weave. right, sunday the video camera is hopefully coming out so i'll put up a tutorial

I assume that you filmed your tutorial several hundred years ago before any club spinning books were written clearly demonstrating that a fountain has no windmill. You probably just procrastinated putting it online.

Here is a page from a book written twelve years ago that states that a full fountain has '12 linked circles'. If you did a windmill between 2 weaves, you'd have more than that.

There already are fountain videos and tutorials up. There's no reason to propetuate a common misconception by making your own video. But don't take my word for it. Do your own research.

This has been discussed for YEARS and YEARS and YEARS. GO and find a club spinning book/video/website... then look CAREFULLY at the number of circles.

And when you finally convince yourself that there's no windmill in the documented archived original definitions of a fountain then you get to be the next guy to write a post like this. biggrin

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
vamp - i respectfully refer you to garthy's signature ubbangel

so who'll give me a cookie if i make a fountain tutorial and variations video...?

although, it'll have to be a cookie with mini dv tapes in it instead of chocolate chips cos all mine are full up now.

and i'll have to get someone else to do one of them hyperloop fountains for me cos i can't do those bloody things to save my life wink

cole. x

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
oooh try and get someone to film looking down from you on high! birds eye view!

and while you're at it, a flower tutorial - with a side-on view! cos mine are still awful!

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
I will DEFINITELY give you a cookie if you make a fountain video. Coleman is the one who showed me the light.

Then I'm gonna make a whole bunch of incorrect tutorials just to piss everyone else off. As well as incorrect instructions on how to make sparkly poi from sawdust and kitty litter.

Maybe I can just start a new poi website propegating every possible misconception...

(Make sure to soak your new wicks in whitegas for TWO WEEKS before using them... Be sure and soak your clothing in water before spinning so you don't burn... Drink a glass of milk before putting gasoline in your mouth... eek )

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
dont spin sparkly poi when naked.....

no wait, you really shouldnt do that lol

TinklePantsGOLD Member
4,219 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmm the joys of antispin fountains ubblove

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
antispin fountain means antispin weave.. I've rarely seen an antispin weave, and even more rare is a well done antispin weave..

that being said.. this thread has completely confused me on what a fountain is.. time to do a search frown

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
nahh

anti spin weave is one thing. anti-spin fauntain is another.

you can do both together, but that does my head in.

anti spin fountain:

do a fountain.

now, do it the wrong way.

i.e. forwards on the left, up behind your head and to backwards behind you on the right. :P

V strange trick.

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
bah.. finally saw Stone's link.. and now feel quite silly.. I seem to want to overcomplicate things I guess...

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
overcomplicatre things?

on hop?

you must be jokin.

p.s. Ill give you twelve intlocking spankings... spank spank spank spank spank spank spank spank spank spank spank spank

-><- Kallisti

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
If you shake your head back and forth you can isolate the paddle.

ubblol

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
and if you cross your eyes it goes all 3D...

i ment to say the spankins were for NYC... funny he should pick up on them so quick, its that ol psydekick syndrome...

i like dots...

T wave

-><- Kallisti

Page: