Stalkernewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Now..Im still kinda young (As far as the world is concerned.). At 17, I still live with my parents. Depressing as it may be, it's the cold, hard and unfortunate truth. Im fairly new to Poi, and the other day I was practicing in the front garden. My mum said, "Just be careful, that looks quite dangerous..". I felt like replying with "Just wait til I try this with them on fire.", but chuckled to myself instead, and continued practicing. Now..I didn't actually realise this, but my mum had no idea about what I was actually doing, and what I eventually plan to do (Set my poi on fire.). She found out a day ago, and since hasn't really talked to me. Earlier on today she had an argument, whereby she told me I wasn't to set them on fire because of the dangers involved.

Now...a little background information. My mum is notoriously over-protective. Everything, according to her, is dangerous. Hell, she's right, walking out the feckin' door is dangerous, you could fall down the stairs and break your neck. Sure, spinning fire might appear more dangerous..but still.

At 17, I think Im old enough to be making decisions about what I do with my free time? I've always been fairly independant, and absolutely hate being told what and what not to do, especially by someone who if I listened to them, I'd simply be holed up in my bedroom all day, every day, for fear of "dangers". In past cases, I've stood my ground and pulled through. She didn't stop me picking up Parkour, despite ranting on about how dangerous it is. I've been practicing Parkour for a year now, and have never seriously injured myself, despite what my resident "danger expert" may have believed.. I want to try convince her that Poi isn't as stupid an idea as she seems to think it is, and that I'd be responsible about the whole thing. Hell, I shouldn't have to tell her that..I've been ahead of my years on the maturity front for ages.

This whole post makes me sound bitter..I'm farf rom it, it's just the way the words have come out of my head it makes me sound angry. I just want her to understand that I want to do this, and that she shouldn't stop me. She can't stop me either way, but I don't want to piss her off. I do have to live with her, and she can make that difficult sometimes...

Anyone got any suggestions?

Blah blah blah blah blah.. Blah blah?

SNOOPoiCarpal \'Tunnel
3,380 posts

Posted:
i think you should show your mum HoP. show her how many members we have. all the photo's and the videos. i also think you should point out that there is a higher risk of you getting hit by a car walking sown the street than there is getting seriously injured poi-ing. ask her if she is gonna stp you walking down the street. poi is petty risk free aside from the odd burn, brand or bruise. i don't have this problem a it was my mum who gave me my first fire chains at 12. also teach her some poi. involve her a bit and she will worry less.

it'll all work out fine I'm sure biggrin

hug

THWACK!!!!
Liz_Ard: Ouch!
SNOOPoi: Thats just not the sound of someone doing it right!

Skittishmember
64 posts

Posted:
well, i fianlly have something in comon with someone then. My mum is seriously... AAARGH... sometimes (if you get my meaning) and although she's not over protecive she doesn't let me have any responsibility for anything. But then again, i suppose parents are like that. And i suppose my mum's like she is cause she had to raise me on her own, so she can't help looking after me all the time and doing eveything for me. then whenever i express any interest in anything its "No" and thats it, if i try to argue my case for anything its always "I'm not talking about it any more". But we haven't even talked about it yet?????? I'd love to be able to do something as free as parkour and really release myself from everyhting but hey, surprise surprise, "No" and then i'm grounded or punished for suggesting something so stupid.
But what are you gonna do huh? just got to live it out and hang on to what you've got. And i suppose most of all have as much fun as possible wher you can.
Wow i really didn't help much there did i?

So what your saying is, if I take just ONE more pill...

Stalkernewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Haha, ARGGGH. I know EXACTLY what you mean by that. It's the feeling where you want to pick up a cup, and drop it on the floor, JUST to see it smash. Then feel a little more content knowing that something else is cracking up, and not just you. Hehe.

Thanks Madam Snoopoi. I'll try that out as soon as she's like..calmed the [censored] down! Hahah. I think she's still mad because I tried to talk back to her. Oh well. I wish my mum would have given me my first chains..maybe she'd be more understanding. Still, she's a bit uptight about anything that might end up with me getting hurt, but thanks for the reassurance. Im going to try that out as soon as.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears!

ChickpeaSILVER Member
mostly a muppet in need of distraction...
305 posts

Posted:
if it makes you feel better im 21 and unfortunately had to move home for a couple of months and im having similar problems. they watch me practice in the garden and if i hit myself with the poi - they tell me id be on fire.
ooh - ur on fire again.
ooh thats your hair burned off
ooh you've burnt your leg again etc
its just because they care. but - practice and tell them you wont be playing with fire until you're good enough to do it - show them that its a serious hobby that you're being sensible about.
Mine are getting happier the better i get.
On a side note - my best friends dad died unexpectedly a few hours ago and it made me realise that no matter how much my rents nag i would never be without them and they could be gone so easily. so don't argue with them - just show them that you can be responsible (and give em a hug)
B x

Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

JonnyRokBRONZE Member
Look! I'm Darth Bunny!
446 posts

Posted:
Yeh i feel your pain too... hug
Maybe you could convince your mom by reading up on all the safety info on HoP, and then tell her a bit about it, just to show her that you thought this out well and your not rushing into it like your pants are on fire (pardon the pun). Im sure she'll at least feel a little better if she knows you are taking the right precautions.

Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!
Yo ho fiddle dee dee, being a pirate is alright to be,
Do what you want coz a pirate is free,
You are a pirate!

IgirisujinSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,666 posts

Posted:
Stalker I think you should download and watch the interview with Pele, fire poi are dangerouse and definatly not something to evena ttempt to try without being very skilled in poi. How many times do people hit themselves with poi? Just imagine what hitting yourself with a ball of flame could do.

In your defense I would assume and I'll give you the benifit of the doubt, and think that you wont pick up fire poi until you know your ready, dont pick up fire poi because they look cool because if you pick them p before your ready you will burn yourself (possibly badly)

By your mum some regular poi and have her spin with you, knowing how addictvie poi I'de bet money on her getting addicted, we've all cought the poi bug ^_^

Chief adviser to the Pharaoh, in one very snazzy mutli-coloured coat

'Time goes by so slowly for those who wait...' - Whatever Happend To Baby Madonna?

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Threaten to take up something REALLY dangerous like freestyle motorcross or base jumping. Then poi will seem like a walk in the park by comparison. wink

Alternatively prove that you are being responsible about it. Do some research on fuels (parrafin is definitely the least dangerous I've come across), make sure you know what kind of clothes to wear (denim, leather, etc) and tell her that when you do light them you will keep a bucket with damp towel's to hand in case should you actually set yourself alight and that you will have someone watching you (its no fun doing it on your own anyway). Get het to watch you doing some VERY BASIC fire spinning (weaves etc.) so that she can see how competant you are with the poi.

I've been spinning fire for a while now and have only ever burnt myself when I'm being silly. Tell her you wont be stupid about it (whether you are or not when she's not about is up to you but every burn that she see's will only make matters worse). To make things easier NEVER mention it to her when you are drunk. She'll only think you are going to get pissed and start setting yourself alight.

I'm 23 and haven't lived with my parents for years. I'm staying with the for a few weeks at the moment and my mum still finds the idea of me spinning fire terrifying. I'm stuck with LED's until I can get to a park with some friends.

Stick with it though. Once she realises that you know what you are doing I imagine that she will be a lot more accomodating smile

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts
Location: In UK for now, but born an lived in ZIMBABWE and S...

Posted:
This just made me realise how lucky i am! I was teaching my mom what poi i do know last night and she loved it! Although she would never do it with fire(her hair is too precious!) She thinks what Tadpole(brother on HoP) an i do is brilliant.

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
Oi and my mom just said maybe it'd be a plan o tell your mom that at least u not in the pub (very very good point!)and ..... its good for your arms(my moms a bit of a health happy kinda person.)

Stalkernewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Laday, that's a good point. I'm sorry about your friends Father.

Im definitely going to show her HoP, after looking around more in depth myself, I've realised what a valuable source of information on the art it is. Also, with safety guidance and free lessons/help, Im hoping it might start to change her mind. I'll get the Pele video as well. I might try show my mum some Poi, but to be honest..I don't think she's got the co-ordination to spin and try use both hands seperately. Hehe.

Arty FartyBRONZE Member
I wear yellow on monday
551 posts

Posted:
some people are on complete different wave lenghts. I think its fair to say that the majority of us here all think the same way, and poi is a process of that, how we like to relax and enjoy ourselves etc etc. i think Laday is well lucky to have a mum like that, she obviously thinks like you Laday...where as my mum doesnt abuse the poi, but she doesnt get it either, which i think is just as sad really.

i reckon Stalker, all you need to do is go away and do it, somewhere where your mum cant see you practise or spin. Then she cant get too worried about what your doing. Then when she see's you spin fire for the first time she'll think your amazing, independent and able to look after, and make the right decisions for yourself.All that just from spinning, eh? your 17 now and able to start doing things on your terms. at least your not laying down and letting your mums worries barracade you into your room for ever more. biggrin

You'll find me on the dance floor

TinklePantsGOLD Member
Clique Infiltrator, Cunning Linguist and Master Debator
4,219 posts

Posted:
Luckily I live with my boyfriend - but he had a go at me instead.

"you could knock something over.. blah blah blah"
(I spin inside - high victorian ceilings are a godsend)

Ironically my mum thought it was a bit of a scary idea but when i told her I havent spun fire yet (and i dont intend to until I can go 3 minutes with out smacking myself in the eye) she was very supportive.
Actually she thought it was cool.

Keep at it- she'll be soooo proud of you in the end!
ubbrollsmile

Always use "so's your face" and "only on Tuesdays" in as many conversations possible

Stalkernewbie
17 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I definitely don't intend on spinning fire until I feel absolutely ready for it. Which is likely to be some time yet. It's just the concept. The opportunity is there, I can spin fire if I so desire. That's where she has a problem. I've got regular hacky-sack-esque Poi, and a fire Poi set. I train with both, mainly because they feel different, and if I want to use fire eventually, I want to be comfortable and familiar with the poi Im going to use. Next on the cards is LED poi, because It's not as fun when you can't see what you're doing. Luckily, HoP has them for a fairly good price. I'll probably be buying a set later!

LadayBRONZE Member
75 posts

Posted:
My mom has no co-ordination skills what so ever, she just has fun throwing them and making poi look...well the exact opposite of what it should look like. But that's the point,isn't it? Doing it because u good at it not cause u can??!! And HoP has amazing stuff for sale,i got my first poi delivered yesterday...haven't been able to put them down..i'm not kidding,i was on my way to the shops and thought..hang on'i cant leave my poi' yes i took them with and played while i was walking! But point it out to your mom that at least u doing something.

Lady DubwizeBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
when i lived at home, and bought my first pair of fire poi home, my step dad was horified, Being a retired fireman, he thought the worst!!

But as soon as i spun them in the garden he fell in love with them watching the traces,, now every time i see him he wants me to spin fire....

i think once your parents have seen you spin safely and with confidence, they'll be fine.... Just reasure them.....

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
My parents have never come out and said they disapprove...however, when i spin in the garden i can see their faces looking worriedly out of the kitchen window every now and then. I think they are more worried about the shed than me, lol.
I guess it helps that i've known the people who first taught me poi since i was about 5.

Having said that, my mother absolutely loves my flags...get some flags!

Maybe if you found some fire spinners in your area and took your mother to see a spin that would help? (make sure they are safety conscious first, though...if you turn up and theres 5 drunken firedancers spinning in the same tiny space it wont help matters)

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
just let her have a talk to everyone on hop

luckily my parents have been spinning fire for ages so i never have this problem but if i can see it happening to other people, you just need to let her understand how safe it is, i have never known out of the huga=e amount of spinny people i know any of them to ever get seriously injured

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

Brian:-)BRONZE Member
stranger
37 posts

Posted:
Stalker, I am a parent so maybe I can give some advise. (Maybe not as I never got the hang of growing up! ) As Squarexedge says, If you know any sensible fire spinners take her to see them. Make sure they know the situation as you don't want anyone messing about. Download some videos. Let her see how easy and good it looks. (Nothing with sarkley poi! she will have kittens!) Print off fire safety information. leave it around so she knows you are serious about being careful. Both of my boys spin fire poi and I juggle fire balls. My wife is nervous about it but none of us have ever had a burn worth more then running under the tap.

FireByNiteSILVER Member
Are you up for it??
349 posts

Posted:
Stalker, I agree with Brian.

Being a parent I would much rather my kids (when old enough) came to me & showed me that they checked out what they're getting into & showed me that they knew the dangers & were aware of what to do if something did happen.

The most I've done after 6 months or so is singe my hair

Good luck on getting through to them

Brit joe: Personally I lit my fire poi within a week of having them & had only practised for 2 weeks. Graned I have been around fire spinning for a while, but even so. Different people take differnet time. A agree though don't do it before you are ready! & know the moves back 2 front

Are you up for it?
wink;)

rita queen of cheesemember
84 posts

Posted:
hello stalker.

i no what you are going through. i am new to poi as well, my mum isnt to keen on me doin it either. i havent yet told her about fire poi. i think if she new she would go absolutely mental at me. and now being 16 years of age i can make my own decisions. my mum thinks that she can still boss me around like i am still a toddler, and that i shouldn't reli have my own opinion.

so i no exactly how u feel and have the greatest sympathy for you smile smile smile hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug

mmmm..... me 250 characters, bubbly, loud n i luv cheese, not quite 250 characters but hey who cares

the_poierSILVER Member
the 1337 poier
346 posts

Posted:
awww i hope it works out...my mum was the one who suggested i set them on fire biggrin

ive got a fuzzbox and im not afraid to use it
R.I.P. gayfest

rita queen of cheesemember
84 posts

Posted:
i don't think i am ever going to tell my mum about fire poi, she would kill me if she ever found out literally biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin hug hug

mmmm..... me 250 characters, bubbly, loud n i luv cheese, not quite 250 characters but hey who cares

[noodles]*Property of Pigeon Wigeon*
893 posts

Posted:
howdy stalker, you and me both know that parkour holds more risk of serious injury than poi and if you managed to convince your mum that pk was ok then i'm sure with a little time and effort she'll be totally fine with poi. Hope it all goes smooth for you man. biggrin

p.s. I know you (well semi know you)

Could somebody stop the room please... I'd like to get off

QuadDamagemember
130 posts

Posted:
Hmm....

*counts poi injuries*

*counts parkour injuries*

*counts cooking injuries*

You know what noodles? I think you're right. I'm also beginning to think I should be more careful when I cook.